Slides at Quartz

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading to Quartz this weekend and have heard of a few slides. Where have these occured? Just want to know what has slid and what hasn't so far.

Brap

Reaction score
Lol. Yes let the internet b e your guide! If its slid you should know its not safe before hand anyways and not be anywhere near that location?

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol. Yes let the internet b e your guide! If its slid you should know its not safe before hand anyways and not be anywhere near that location?

Just because there is a slide in an area doesn't mean that area is off limits to ride. Also, the internet is a very good resource for knowledge for people that ride these area's a lot more than I do. They will know what has slid and what hasn't. Plus the internet is where I get my weather forecasts and avalanche bulletins.

Riding smart, knowing the terrain and having some training are your best resources. I have ridden on Extreme avy danger days, I just choose where I ride carefully. Instead of climbing that south facing slope, I'll choose to play in the meadows and tree's and the little hills off to the side.

Not to mention that if it's already slid, depending on weather patterns and snowfall it could mean it's safer now.

Last edited:

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Krista, from the photo's I have seen and talking to friends/customers who rode there on the weekend, the area of steep hill near the old cabin let go. If you go on the Quartz thread somebody posted a photo. If you know the area it looks like the area that let go is to the left of the first climb to the left of the old log cabin. I have seen that part of the hill slide on many occasions, including a slide father down that side of the ridge where we had the 20 page fight on here 2 years ago, when a guy on a turbo yamaha climbed over 3 stuck sledders, turned out of his "mega sick open bowl himark" around a rock outcropping triggering(weak part of the snow pack on the said part of the hill) resulting in a nice sized slide that could have killed at least a dozen people, good times.

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lucas,
I see the pic and know the exact spot. Thanks for the info. That's the spot I figured would have let go with that snow. High Danger this weekend. Going to be digging a pit to check it out. First ride up might as well since I haven't for a while.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the pic if anyone wants to see it. Stole from the other thread.
quartz slide.jpg

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"UPDATE"

I also just got off the phone with somebody who was riding yesterday, and the cornice just past the poo stain broke and started a big slide into area 51, so be careful out there guys/gals.

dbar7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lucas Gonna be riding Quartz this weekend... cant wait

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey krista u going to be there on Sat???? We will. Steel town if ya don't come on Sat there won't be anything left to ride.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet, we are gonna ride Golden on Sunday, c-u-there
Ya I will be riding Sunday. Do you know what my sled looks like? I'm easy to spot. Let me know if you don't n I'll come to the store n show ya

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey krista u going to be there on Sat???? We will. Steel town if ya don't come on Sat there won't be anything left to ride.
You bet I am! At the parking lot at 9am. Pretty much going to test out the new set up. You've seen a pic of my sled with the wrap hey?! Just look for me and we can go tear up a run. I'm going with one guy. We're meeting some other dudes that apparently are newbs so it's more a day to fart around lol

GSR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep, 51 face ripped in a few spots yesterday. It ripped to ground directly over the ridge from Poo stain (ie. north facing). Also further down the ridge we triggered a cornice failure while snowboarding. It stepped back around 6-8 from the edge so might not be a good time be poking around up high. Besides the trees are unreal right now!! Bulletin looks like it's tightening up out there just be leery of the wind loading that has taken place in the past week or so. You'll see it!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya its Noel a green rev candy Cain right. If i recall from doo talk.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep, 51 face ripped in a few spots yesterday. It ripped to ground directly over the ridge from Poo stain (ie. north facing). Also further down the ridge we triggered a cornice failure while snowboarding. It stepped back around 6-8 from the edge so might not be a good time be poking around up high. Besides the trees are unreal right now!! Bulletin looks like it's tightening up out there just be leery of the wind loading that has taken place in the past week or so. You'll see it!
Thanks for the solid info. I will keep an eye out for that.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Play safe Rowdy let us know how your trip went.

Heading to Quartz this weekend and have heard of a few slides. Where have these occured? Just want to know what has slid and what hasn't so far.

Top Bottom