Official Hassler area 2011-2012 season activity

CatRyder88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hasler B.C Avalanche feb 21 2012 - YouTube

Ok peeps that are riding this area and want updates.....this vid was taken on the 21st of Feb. The CAC has issued a Special Public Avalanche Warning for most backcountry areas of B.C. during the week. This dude was lucky, his sled triggered an avy, lucky it was small and he wasn't buried.

We were sledding in the Torpy area(Northern Rockies) 2 wks ago and we observed surface hoar approx. 3 inches long, and it was in a wedge type shape, which is very persistent and tends to remain upright. Any new snow on top of this weak layer is a recipe for disaster. Please play safe out there!

There are no words to explain that except retarded. Who pulls a long sidehill on a windloaded slop with a obvious terrain trap at the bottom. It's guys like that that make us all look bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be checkin wells!

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are no words to explain that except retarded. Who pulls a long sidehill on a windloaded slop with a obvious terrain trap at the bottom. It's guys like that that make us all look bad

Yup. This vid shows mistakes for sure. This dude was lucky and more than likely didn't even know that he was doing anything wrong. We see it all the time. It is time peeps got educated out there, or at least practiced some common sense. The snowpack right now is very unstable as seen in this vid, and doesn't take much to set off an avy. Play safe out there!

hpjunkie

Reaction score
Longshot... Lost my Ortovox "Beast" shovel handle in either Hasler on Feb 10th, or Silver Sands on the 11th. Thx...

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Longshot... Lost my Ortovox "Beast" shovel handle in either Hasler on Feb 10th, or Silver Sands on the 11th. Thx...

shitty deal...headin to Hassler Mon or Tue next week...if seen (highly doubt) will grab it for ya

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're heading up tuesday as well. I'll keep an eye out

hey Pinko...you headin to Hassler? have a look out for us. looks like 2 of us only, this time. all black 2012 cat and all green 09 HCR.
anyone in hasler this weekend?? how was the snow?

might hit up pk if hasler is ch!t...

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were going to but most of the guys I ride with don't want to do anything but Kakwa for some unknown reason. So I'm stuck going in there again

YamaDoo PolCat

Reaction score
Wow! Riding the hill with someone stuck on it, AND side cutting past the stuck sled!
Were you trying to make the hill side, or just hoping it won't slide?

This video is one of the reasons I don't ride places like McBride and and stay away from people in Kakwa. I watched some Albertan's bring down a slide on one of their stuck buddies last year between the Box and Flat Top. They acted surprised! Duh!

I took the time to warn some Grande Prairie riders last year not to sit in a chute, and less than 20 minites later I found them digging out a buried sled, but I'm glad to say the rest had listened and were out of the run-out path. But most of them don't listen, or don't get it.

CatRyder88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow! Riding the hill with someone stuck on it, AND side cutting past the stuck sled!
Were you trying to make the hill side, or just hoping it won't slide?

This video is one of the reasons I don't ride places like McBride and and stay away from people in Kakwa. I watched some Albertan's bring down a slide on one of their stuck buddies last year between the Box and Flat Top. They acted surprised! Duh!

I took the time to warn some Grande Prairie riders last year not to sit in a chute, and less than 20 minites later I found them digging out a buried sled, but I'm glad to say the rest had listened and were out of the run-out path. But most of them don't listen, or don't get it.

I ride kakwa, mcbride and I'm from grande prairie. Is there a problem with that? Is everyone who rides there or is from gp a idiot or are you just a a$$hole?

YamaDoo PolCat

Reaction score
I ride kakwa, mcbride and I'm from grande prairie. Is there a problem with that? Is everyone who rides there or is from gp a idiot or are you just a a$$hole?

Neither.
However in those riding areas heavily used by Alberta and east riders, I have observed too many situations where those riders needed either a babysitter to follow them around, or someone to follow them around and explain where the hazards are.
Too many times I've taken the time to explain that what they are doing is not being done safely, or they are needlessly exposing themselves to an obvious hazard, and get a blank cow stare. By the sounds of your rant you might have been one of those ones.
It's hard to fix stupid, so I'd just as soon not go to places where I have to watch.
I've met and know many Alberta riders I hold in high regard, so why don't you do your part and smarten up your fellow riders as well.
I'll be in Kakwa all this weekend.

Attachments

• P3192393 [Desktop Resolution] [640x480].JPG
    P3192393 [Desktop Resolution] [640x480].JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 411

CatRyder88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually no I'm not one of those guys. These idiots aren't just in kakwa or mcbride. Their everywhere. Iv been in Allen creek headed to the back and there was a group climbing in avalanche alley two sleds at a time. I stopped to tell them not to climb there and they didn't care. So don't stereotype people cuz they ride a certain area or are from a certain town.

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice vids! Looks like there is some fresh to be found :D
Were coming up on thursday for 3 days hopefully it sticks around

WhiteDragon

Reaction score
I was out on Saturday near Silver Sands. Still lots of snow to be found. I prefer to stay on the hard packed areas so as to stay out of trouble. I have little or no interest in hill climbing, but will ride the trails for a long distance.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
We were out that way two weekends ago in an area called the Calzan. A short ride into numerous cut blocks for fun in the sun :)

Attachments

• Calzan pic 1.jpg
    Calzan pic 1.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 242
  • Calzan pic 2.jpg
    Calzan pic 2.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 238

magnet32

Reaction score
Heard a rumore that coal mine has camp set up at hassler parking area ?? anyone know anything ?

Top Bottom