looking at 05 brute force 750

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guy said its snorkeled and chipped and clutched. He just rebuilt the motor b/c the motor ran out of oil as he didn't do the top end and it was burning oil...(which doesnt quite make sense to me)

I did some reading on these quads seems like they have good power, but they dont engage in 4wd on the fly and need belt adjustment more often then other sleds *I meant quads not sleds

Any other guys on here running these quads?

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's a 06 or newer much better

05 they had bad steering ect compared to the newer ones

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am coming of a 95 polaris xplorer 400, I dont think steering can get any worse lol

Heres a more indepth description he emailed me: "quad has a rebuilt motor top and bottom rebuilt diff all new wheel bearings a arm bushings fresh oil change like new tires snorkled chipped and some clutching done brand new belt"

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it's not Tex's old bike!! LOL
Buddy had an '06 that was fairly decent till he burnt it to the ground lol.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ask him what it cost to get the complete motor rebuilt. If he paid someone ,that is going to be in the 3-4000 range. They are pricey motors to rebuild and they don't like water. My guess is it was swamped. If the diff was rebuilt as well , it sounds like abuse. That's why I said run

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm okay, ya when I saw that it was snorkelled and chipped I figured it had a hard life

He did say it was around 4400 with the motor, front diff and all the other parts....but he doesn't have receipts

Seeing how the front diff was needing to be rebuilt would the rear diff be well on its way as well?

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The front diffs take on water and chit the bed on the brutes. Very common problem. The 05s also have a lot of electrical issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The front diffs take on water and chit the bed on the brutes. Very common problem. The 05s also have a lot of electrical issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read about the bus wiring issue i think it was but thats about it. If i do look at it should i just take a flashlight and follow the wires under the panels?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have read about the bus wiring issue i think it was but thats about it. If i do look at it should i just take a flashlight and follow the wires under the panels?
U can't even see the buss, it's under the plastics, just on the outside of the frame above fuel tank, taped up in the harness

I have seen one just about on fire there, above fuel tank = not good lol

Front diffs real common, rear not at all, very tough

Also rear is a wet brake in diff which is awesome

Also have seen lots of 05 brutes with no manual primer ( which works awsome when cold out over choke)

Also 05 carb boots are real bad for cracking, and camber caster is wrong making hard steering

Last edited:

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U can't even see the buss, it's under the plastics, just on the outside of the frame above fuel tank, taped up in the harness

I have seen one just about on fire there, above fuel tank = not good lol

Front diffs real common, rear not at all, very tough

Also rear is a wet brake in diff which is awesome

Also have seen lots of 05 brutes with no manual primer ( which works awsome when cold out over choke)

Also 05 carb boots are real bad for cracking, and camber caster is wrong making hard steering

I watched a vid on taking the carb off, looks like quite the process but it would be the only way to check/replace the carb boots then eh?

So since the brake is in the diff there would be no way of checking the wear on it without taking it apart?

Not sure what you mean by manual primer ive only dealt with chokes before...is that like the 'button primer' on lawnmowers?

About the camber caster, is there any fix for this or is it a new set of a-arms?

Are the newer ones fuel injected?

I don't really think ill pursue this particular quad but i do think i will get a brute force down the road

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I watched a vid on taking the carb off, looks like quite the process but it would be the only way to check/replace the carb boots then eh?

So since the brake is in the diff there would be no way of checking the wear on it without taking it apart?

Not sure what you mean by manual primer ive only dealt with chokes before...is that like the 'button primer' on lawnmowers?

About the camber caster, is there any fix for this or is it a new set of a-arms?

Are the newer ones fuel injected?

I don't really think ill pursue this particular quad but i do think i will get a brute force down the road
Yes have to pop carbs off to properly check boots, have to spilt rear diff fir brakes but they last forever if oil is right, camber caster is in the frame and 06 is different angles... Manual primer is similar to a ball one yes, 08 and newer is fuel injection too... But they have big cash problems too.... Also carbs have pull start back up, fuel injection ones don't

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes have to pop carbs off to properly check boots, have to spilt rear diff fir brakes but they last forever if oil is right, camber caster is in the frame and 06 is different angles... Manual primer is similar to a ball one yes, 08 and newer is fuel injection too... But they have big cash problems too.... Also carbs have pull start back up, fuel injection ones don't

Okay, is there any way of telling if the buss is on its way out? Would i be able to sniff around where it is for the burning smell?

Okay, is it possible to check diff fluids like on a pickup diff? I Don't really have experience with independent suspension diffs

Does it affect medium speed steering as well? Or is it just the low speed stuff?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds better to keep looking for something better. Let someone else fix that pos , it will be a money pit, bailing wire and tow rope will become your best friend

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds better to keep looking for something better. Let someone else fix that pos , it will be a money pit, bailing wire and tow rope will become your best friend
If u say so lol

Diff fluids just like a truck with a drain and fill

The buss connector , if u buy it just cut it out and tie all the wires together and use double thick shrink tube on it

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless your paying 18.75 $ Run ,run fast.........there are many great deals on quads this time of year........
buy one off an old guy (except me or Larry) no snorkels ,a HUGE box and a windshield..........

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless your paying 18.75 $ Run ,run fast.........there are many great deals on quads this time of year........
buy one off an old guy (except me or Larry) no snorkels ,a HUGE box and a windshield..........
totally agree, this thing is going to be a money pit period. leave it for someone else, unless you have a morbid desire for self inflicted torture. the question becomes what needs to be fixed next. run far run fast, don't stop, don't turn back. for free is not a good deal.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright guys I'll pass on this one, thanks for steering me clear of it. I currently/unfortunately own a 94/95 polaris 400 xplorer. Its a 2 stroke carbed quad. Talk about electrical gremlins, I kid you not everytime i took it out for the past two seasons it had to be pushed back into my truck. I actually rode on the back of my buddies 2 up outlander more than I rode my own quad.

Believe me when I say I do not want someone else's headache lol

Anyway, I found another fellow who may want to trade for my summit:
Brute Force 750 | ATVs | Fort St. John | Kijiji

Only thing is hes in FSJ. But I hear you guys on looking at getting a quad from a older guy

This particular one obv just had a nice detail but it does look to be in good shape, I will ask him for more pictures. Those tires are nice but make me think he took her through some pretty good skeg

Top Bottom