Summer once-over on my '04 Summit, what to look for?

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I had to pull it down from Wranglers Cabin in Fernie over the weekend,

My 2 day old recoil packed it in on saturday so I was starting it with a strap, which isn't too bad when the sled is warm. Sunday I fired it up and it was idling rough so I upped the idle screw a little till it evened out and then ripped all the way up to the cabin at 6-7000RPM with not a thing wrong. Pulled up to the cabin and let off the gas and there was a loud "chuff" through the exhaust and it started running like garbage. If I tried to rev it up it would continue chuffing out the exhaust (with enough force to blow snow around). I thought maybe I had fouled a plug because it was coming and going. I pulled the plugs (new last week) and they were a little wet but not fouled. Both holes had good spark. Thumb over the hole felt like decent compression but I didn't have a way of actually testing it better than that. I was convinced it was a fuel issue, like maybe bad gas (but the other two sleds should have had similar issues as we bought from the same station) but an old timer says "I think you may have thrown the crank"

Now, I'm sceptical of that cause there's a lack of mechanical noise fromn the bottom when it's idling but I took his advice and towed it off the mountain (never had to do that before...in no rush to do it again.)

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to do a propper compression test to see where it stands but other than that I'm not sure where to begin. I've heard it could be the CDI? Reeds seem unlikely as they were replaced.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year is ur rev???

04-05 had chrome rings and notorious for the chrome flaking

Put in mcb 2 rings when u do it

No pop when u shut it off ect

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
random thoughts ...

water in fuel ???

exhaust dounut at Y pipe has caused me issues ???

a sad battery on the rt1000 makes the same issues, but the 800 should be different me thunks ...

mag getting sad ???

so many times people over think these things when it so often is a simple fix ...
either way let us know

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year is ur rev???

04-05 had chrome rings and notorious for the chrome flaking

It's an 04. The previous dude had a shortblock installed and the top end went through so I was hoping they'd installed better top end components but who knows.

random thoughts ...

water in fuel ???

exhaust dounut at Y pipe has caused me issues ???

a sad battery on the rt1000 makes the same issues, but the 800 should be different me thunks ...

mag getting sad ???

so many times people over think these things when it so often is a simple fix ...
either way let us know

Well I was hoping it was water but it ran perfect the day before, and on the second day everyone bought fuel at the same station and had no issues. I'm trying my best not to over-think it but I always jump to worst-case scenarios haha. If it's a bad mag a code reader would show that, correct? It's not lighting up the "check engine" but that doesn't mean there's no codes.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could also be the y pipe bolts fell out,

I found that when they blow up, the run real good right before they do

Just from experience lol

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ho's were not known for outa phase

The 800r yes forsure

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_3532.jpg

Both holes show good comp. Pulling in/out and left/right/up/down on the clutch gave no play or sounds. Rocking the clutch makes some noise...not in the clutch itself but sounds like crankcase play but hard to be sure. Talked to a local guy who feels confident it's not my crank but more in my ignition side of things (his wife's 800 acted similar and just needed new plug wires. I thought this was strange as my backfire issue came on suddenly but he said his wife's sled was the same.) He also stressed that both 800's he's had fail on him were backfiring immediately before piling up solid. The fact that mine was able to idle as well as load up and off the trailer seems like a positive step away from blown crank-town, population: Graham.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most rt1000s I know have issues with the Ypipe bolts into the motor coming loose. several xp's do the same thing and don't want to run . but I'm guessing you've looked over stuff like this. a exhaust gasket out of place will make similar symtoms to wot your describing without codes.

have you tryed to start it now your home ???
how does it feel when you pull it over ???

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 165575

Both holes show good comp. Pulling in/out and left/right/up/down on the clutch gave no play or sounds. Rocking the clutch makes some noise...not in the clutch itself but sounds like crankcase play but hard to be sure. Talked to a local guy who feels confident it's not my crank but more in my ignition side of things (his wife's 800 acted similar and just needed new plug wires. I thought this was strange as my backfire issue came on suddenly but he said his wife's sled was the same.) He also stressed that both 800's he's had fail on him were backfiring immediately before piling up solid. The fact that mine was able to idle as well as load up and off the trailer seems like a positive step away from blown crank-town, population: Graham.

Did u look to make sure all 8 y pipe bolts are there and tight

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I ran out of time tonight. I'll check the bolts tomorrow evening after work. Other than the buggered recoil (need to tap my mounting screw holes again) it feels alright when I pull it over.

Thanks for the input dudes.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U sure it wasn't the recoil catching, drawing inside making the noise

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quite possible. I'll take it off tonight and see if I can replicate the noise without it. It'll be a good feeling if that is what's causing the noises.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No kidding

Except for getting towed ect

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better safe than sorry. I only gain experience by having to fix things so even if it is a "duh" fix I'm just glad I won't have to rebuild it haha.

So tonight I pulled my spark wires out and (surprise) broke the little clip. I'll get new wires/boot and plugs tomorrow. None of my Y-pipe bolts are missing or backed out, some were a wee loose though. The mag-side exhaust port gasket has lots of oily blow-by residue surrounding it. Thinking maybe those gaskets should be replaced. Also found the Y-pipe to exhaust pipe doughnut is pretty much bitched.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
both my rt1000 blow oil, I'm told its the norm(by the rt1000 guru)
the gasket or the dounut is my guess for your issues ...
it sure as hell had me going thru similar issues with people telling me similar stories about doom and gloom only to have a $15 fix ...

I'd never owned or run a 2stroke until my sled. quite the learning curve, but they are so much more simple. gas, spark, compression, a compelte exhaust and game on ...

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh man I hope so. That'd make my week haha.

So it turns out the boot heads aren't like the old style sleds where I can just twist them off, clean up the wire and put them back on...they're fricken glued on or something? At any rate, need a new wire and Turps wants a metric ass-load of money for these wires. Are sled wires unique or can I go to Canadian tire and buy the NGK two-wire sets for far cheaper and be ok?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a pick and break the glue the hole way around

Then get new plug boots and screw on

I found a bit of dielectric grease keeps the boots from bring welded on and thenvthe cap gits come out

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm kinda rammy and wrecked the longer of the two. I think if I put a new boot on it, it'll be a little short. But I'll try.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stock boots do go down the plug farther

So mabe it has had one changed

Top Bottom