Turbo kit oiling problems

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope your all having a good summer!
I have some issues to deal with before snow flies, time to get at it.
2019 Axys 850 with a Silber 2.0 kit.
Twice now my water pump gear has failed from what is surely a lack of lubrication to the center cavity. Even though nobody else seems to be having my problem, this almost has to be due to the turbo oiling tee'ing in to the OEM injection system and offering a lower resistance path for the oil to go rather than properly popping the injector checks @5psi.

-Does anyone know of an electric impulse pump that I can use to supply only the turbo? (purpose: to leave the OEM oil injection alone). This would have to be able to just do it's thing not being tied to an ECU or control, dunno... out of my knowledge base.

-Any thoughts on installing a return line on the turbo, and routing that return hose back to an injection point on my engine?

Each time the water pump gear shreds, its a full engine teardown to repair, and because it gets overheated pretty bad recovering the sled with no water pump... I'm replacing expensive parts. I'm about to do this again. This time I'm also going to replace the OEM oil pump (just in case), turbo center section (because I have overheated it bad a few times, and because I suspect a lack of oil pressure resistance as the cause of all this)

Any thoughts? The turbo kit runs awesome, I HAVE to figure out a lubrication solution.
I didn't want to type out a novel of every detail, ask away if you have questions. I'm begging for some help!

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Boost-It kit runs a Facet PosiFlo pump with the plastic housing (Not sure on the model number). It has a small aluminum oil tank that holds about 400ml of 0w-40 synthetic oil. Just tie the pump to electrical power that is always on when the engine is running, there should be an aux power plug somewhere you can tap into.

What kind of bearings does the turbo have? My Garrett Turbo has ceramic ball bearings, so it needs oil but not a constant flow of pressurized oil like a journal bearing will need to keep the shaft supported. Which makes that pulse pump sufficient, and the oil just gravity drains back to the tank. Journal bearing turbos may require a different solution.

How does the turbo overheat? Does it not have coolant ports that connect to the sled cooling system to prevent overheating? This could also be your issue if oil cokes inside the turbo blocking the oil flow in the turbo itself or check valves.

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ABMax, Silbers turbos are ceramic bb so no need for high volume or pressure. I'm going to research the pump you suggested, sounds like a good solution.
As for why the turbo has overheated...... simply because after my water pump fails, I ride the sled out without a functioning cooling system. The whole package gets abused with excess heat on the rescue ride out.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a relatively easy fix then. My pump looks something like this.

FAC-FEP04SV.JPG

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gedakbx, I spoke with Justin early in the saga. He was helpful with suggestions, and would inspect the turbo for warranty if I sent it to them. Not really the quick solution I needed. I don't want to rebuild everything and start riding not knowing if it will just happen again.... hence my search for an aux pump dedicated to the turbo so I can leave the OEM injection system undisturbed.

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on ABMax, I'm on their website now looking at that one. I'd sure like to plumb it into the sleds oil tank if possible.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I like mine being separate. The tank doesn't have to be big, a beer can would pretty much do it. Be easy to fab up an aluminum one in an afternoon if a guy had access to a TIG welder.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure seems like you’re going through a lot of trouble for something that should just be a bolt on and ride situation …?
Have you spoken with a reputable shop?
Linderman at Arctic Edge would fix this issue…

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure seems like you’re going through a lot of trouble for something that should just be a bolt on and ride situation …?
Have you spoken with a reputable shop?
Linderman at Arctic Edge would fix this issue…
Agreed, it sure sucks. But I'm a former auto mechanic, and been fixing my own ch!t forever. I have the skills and tools.

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teardown is well underway this morning

Attachments

• 20230820_112115.jpg
    20230820_112115.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 96

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been working away at the rebuild, making progress.
-reman crank
-new water pump shaft
-Wossner top end
-Indy Specialty turbo head
-new OEM oil pump
-all oil injectors tested
-new turbo CHRA

The turbo oiling system is:
-Facet posi-flow pump
-Mr Gasket coolant recovery tank for old hot rods will serve as my oil tank

Still waiting for some fittings and hose to assemble to turbo oil system, everything dry fits nicely.

Attachments

• 20230917_134855.jpg
    20230917_134855.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG-20230917-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20230917-WA0002.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 20230918_141400.jpg
    20230918_141400.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230918_142735.jpg
    20230918_142735.jpg