Summer once-over on my '04 Summit, what to look for?

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:rant:frustrating.

Took the day off yesterday and stared tearing down my 265 that's destined for my Model A. Taking things apart is easy and very stress relieving. Mixed with the fact that all the effing snow is melting I kind of have a case of the ****-its regarding my sled.

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:rant:frustrating.

Took the day off yesterday and stared tearing down my 265 that's destined for my Model A. Taking things apart is easy and very stress relieving. Mixed with the fact that all the effing snow is melting I kind of have a case of the ****-its regarding my sled.

Lots of sleddin season left..don't give up on the rev yet!!

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, sorry I keep coming back to pick your guys' brains but this machine is an enigma.

I've talked to a couple local engine dudes and they're telling me that if I did the "extensions down the holes" test and the one side starts on it's way back up just as the other crosses TDC it's not my crank being out of phase that's my issue. IT would have to be really out of whack to cause these symptoms.

Is there anything else I haven't checked?? Cleaned carbs and changed both pilot and main jets. New plugs/wires/caps (and both plugs have steady blue spark when pulled over). Y pipe is tight and appears to be in good shape. Reeds look intact (is there any way they could kill off a hole like this? Boots are in good shape). Weird thing is we squirted gas into that carb while the machine was running and it made zero difference. RAVE valves shouldn't cause my troubles but I removed and cleaned them anyways. Good compression both sides.

Like I said, I don't like pestering you guys but this really has me beat.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I haven't pulled the Y right off (just checked the bolts to make sure they were secure) I guess it could be worth a shot to make sure it's clear. I can't see it being the DESS as that shouldn't effect just one hole...but man who really knows.

summitstef

Reaction score
Down an ole dirt road in a town you wouldn't know
This could be a fuel delivery issue as well. No blockages in the fuel lines and both carbs are getting good fuel flow? If you have good spark an everything else is good, maybe the fuel pump packed it in as well or a blockage in the fuel line somewhere or even maybe the pickup in the tank.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's sure acting like a fuel delivery thing but damned if I can find it. But if that were the case you'd think squirting fuel right into the carb would produce some kind of result

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I finally emerged from my pit of self-loathing and despair and decided to poke around the sled some more (also been helping some buddies with their cars so that's taken some time up too.)

Pulled the recoil off and dug down into where the engineers decided things like coils and stators should be hidden.

The flywheel is made of two pieces. The "bowl" that the magnets are built into and your flywheel bolts too is two pieces riveted together. Or at least, it's supposed to be. Mine is nearly coming apart as all the rivets are stretched out and the the "bowl" can move back and forth a few degrees. I have a feeling this is related to my timing woes...

1.jpg 2.jpg

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like lots of isofux grease in there to from the mag seal eh

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah. The further I get into it the rougher my old steed is. Gotta decide how to go ahead with this old clunker now.

Top Bottom