A personal history. Not a fight.... Just bored. Please add your thoughts

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember going up Hospital Creek in Golden with ET340 and 440 then at a certain elevation machines started to run like crap so we had to change the jets to go further. If anything that I enjoy from the newer sleds is that has been eliminated. No guessing the temp/elevation to put the right jet in.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i rember back in the 80's all the sleds were more compatiable when left stock,you would head to the mountains and go up top and play in the first bowl. with the sleds the way they were it was the rider that made the difference not the sled.like now a days were you can point and go. approx 6 years ago my boy was looking to purchase his first sled for riding the mountains,money was tight for him and he had the opp0rtunity to buy a older sled,one owner,well maintained,at a very good price,a sled which was a summit with a 583,yes i know for todays standards its a small sled but i told him you take a sled like that and go up with us to see if you like mountain riding and also told him that if you can take a sled like that up there and learn to ride it and make it do its potential you will be a way better rider than if you go buy a newer sled that you can point and go. i agree sleds now adays people get injured or into situations that is due to them having too much sled that they cannot handle properly. starting with a sled that makes you work to get to the areas works on your skills not depending on track lugs,lengths and hp.more people would be better riders starting small in my opinion.now he is on a summit 800,163 and watching him ride i still feel his riding the short track with 1.75 lug really helped his riding skills

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i rember back in the 80's all the sleds were more compatiable when left stock,you would head to the mountains and go up top and play in the first bowl. with the sleds the way they were it was the rider that made the difference not the sled.like now a days were you can point and go. approx 6 years ago my boy was looking to purchase his first sled for riding the mountains,money was tight for him and he had the opp0rtunity to buy a older sled,one owner,well maintained,at a very good price,a sled which was a summit with a 583,yes i know for todays standards its a small sled but i told him you take a sled like that and go up with us to see if you like mountain riding and also told him that if you can take a sled like that up there and learn to ride it and make it do its potential you will be a way better rider than if you go buy a newer sled that you can point and go. i agree sleds now adays people get injured or into situations that is due to them having too much sled that they cannot handle properly. starting with a sled that makes you work to get to the areas works on your skills not depending on track lugs,lengths and hp.more people would be better riders starting small in my opinion.now he is on a summit 800,163 and watching him ride i still feel his riding the short track with 1.75 lug really helped his riding skills

Great post, I agree we all should have to work for it. Back in 08 the turbo 2s got big in a hurry around here anyhow, you weren't a snowmobiler unless you had one. Funny thing is most of them couldn't ride and the rest thought they could. Lots of carnage and mishaps. The sled shop profited from it and now you can buy a turbo sled for less then a stock unit.
anyhow I loved sweating away trying to get somewhere we laugh at today on the old John Deere 340 liquefier.

Reactions: Dmf

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread
My best years was in the late 80's and through the 90's. The sled's were reliable and capable. Plus being i like to modify, factory sled's could easily be modified and personalized. Today modifying a sled is nearly useless as the sled's don't need much, the biggest thing is a wrap.....kinda sad really. Half the fun of being a sledder was building and modifying your own, those day's are kinda gone.
I remember spending hours in my shop building my next mountain masher, extending tunnels, picking up the longest track to be found for the time. Paddling it up or not if it came with lugs. Porting out engines and cylinders, shaving head's, modifying exhaust and so on, secretly. Just to have that edge on your buddy. You just couldn't wait to get out there to see and feel your results.....and sometimes your failures or disaster. Either way. things are no longer and that right of passage earned as whole heart'ed full blooded sledder's no longer exist. Most people now just ride and their idea of a mod is a bolt on piece with no innovation of their own. IMO for the first time in sledding history, sledder's are riding cookie cutter sled's no matter what brand. They are all the same and non are unique.
There was a reason sledder's were known to be a different breed, unfortunately that breed is vanishing and being replaced by general joe, the guy next door who play's a game of golf after riding instead of ripping into his sled to get more out of it. His idea of a mod is call a mod shop to buy a piece that will bolt on or drop off the sled at a shop. He talk's big but really know's CRAP nothing, because the only wrench he know's is a cresent wrench.
Plus the snow and season's were alot longer and better, snow was far better, deeper.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not as old as some of you guys, but I have been riding mountains since the Mid 90's.

I loved it back then as much as I love it now, but would not trade my old 670 for the sleds we have now.

These are the sleds I dreamed about growing up. Capable machines that a skilled rider can really push the limits on.

The rider is still the biggest factor, sure any clown can get around the mountain on one. Big deal.

Lets see you pull this line on a 1980's mod sled with no suspension.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In fact id say; now its the rider limiting the machine and not the other way around like it was in the past.

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not as old as some of you guys, but I have been riding mountains since the Mid 90's.

I loved it back then as much as I love it now, but would not trade my old 670 for the sleds we have now.

These are the sleds I dreamed about growing up. Capable machines that a skilled rider can really push the limits on.

The rider is still the biggest factor, sure any clown can get around the mountain on one. Big deal.

Lets see you pull this line on a 1980's mod sled with no suspension.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb415/revy1516/P4170766_zpsctouavsd.jpg

This is a nightmare I dream about where I freefall forever, wake up right before I die.......

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has been many times that the guys in my group discuss that we should all go back to smaller sleds. Trouble is that no one wants to go first in case the others don't follow suit.

I know that when I started in the mountains on my 670 MXZ with 0.88" x 120" track it sure took a lot less snow and a lot less area to keep us occupied and we had at least as much fun then as now. We spent way more time being stuck than actually riding. This has a lot to do with making a guy a better rider IMO.

As far as more injuries now goes, if i had to bounce down an ungroomed trail for 25 km on the old MXZ now, I wouldn't be able to walk for a week.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember the first times i got up to the top of Turbo hill at Boulder and the first times i started getting into Eagles and Turtle mtn areas.
You were actually lucky to see another sledder, you did but not many and generally closer and lower to civilization on FSR.

The first time i got to the top of Turbo was on my modified Yamaha Exciter around 1987-88. At about 90hp and 156" of track with bolt on padel's it was a hell of a lot of fun and challenging. With only 90hp, it was nearly impossible to climb straight up but it could be done by working it in several locations.
Most of my Boulder exploring was done in the late 80's on my modified Phazer. Also with a 156" track and bolt on's but only about 65hp and weighing in at less then 400lbs. In the deepest day's we still could get back. You just needed to know how to ride. It was far more dangerous then, as radio's and cell devices were non and other sledder's were not seen often. You needed to be self sufficient.

Area's like Turtle i started to explore in the early 90's as just an expansion of Boulder as we found new areas to try to get into.
As for Eagles, we had heard of a possible trail going into eagle pass but it was sketchy at best. But first got in there in the mid 90's and yes it was fallow a FSR for a bit then straight up into the timber. There was a 50/50 chance of getting up there because the trail in was so difficult at times.

Sledding back then was a little different in the fact that the sleds have evolved in what they are today but also rider's were more self reliant. The sport wasn't that popular in the mountain's like in the east because it was a tough and dangerous go. But as the sport evolved its popularity did too.
There was no going for a ride then going to Zalla's for a burger and beer after. You were too puckered out from the day that at times ended very late. There was no such things as a groom trail to hustle back quickly. Or not to many groom trail's. Your day started by working hard and working hard all day to ride.
You either loved it or just hated it and never did it again.

Today you can just buy a sled that is mountain ready and just go and ride. Never cut a track because there are so many tracks out there and go way back. Have virtually no backcountry experience and still get in there. 90% of women couldn't sled the mountain's at one time because it was tough, it was a man sport mainly. Today not the case, even Peewee Herman can do it. LOL
:beer: cheer's to all the girly men taking up sledding, you all make our life's interesting, don't forget your electronic gadget so we can find you when your in deep poop.

Last edited:

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember the first times i got up to the top of Turbo hill at Boulder and the first times i started getting into Eagles and Turtle mtn areas.
You were actually lucky to see another sledder, you did but not many and generally closer and lower to civilization on FSR.

The first time i got to the top of Turbo was on my modified Yamaha Exciter around 1987-88. At about 90hp and 156" of track with bolt on padel's it was a hell of a lot of fun and challenging. With only 90hp, it was nearly impossible to climb straight up but it could be done by working it in several locations.
Most of my Boulder exploring was done in the late 80's on my modified Phazer. Also with a 156" track and bolt on's but only about 65hp and weighing in at less then 400lbs. In the deepest day's we still could get back. You just needed to know how to ride. It was far more dangerous then, as radio's and cell devices were non and other sledder's were not seen often. You needed to be self sufficient.

Area's like Turtle i started to explore in the early 90's as just an expansion of Boulder as we found new areas to try to get into.
As for Eagles, we had heard of a possible trail going into eagle pass but it was sketchy at best. But first got in there in the mid 90's and yes it was fallow a FSR for a bit then straight up into the timber. There was a 50/50 chance of getting up there because the trail in was so difficult at times.

Sledding back then was a little different in the fact that the sleds have evolved in what they are today but also rider's were more self reliant. The sport wasn't that popular in the mountain's like in the east because it was a tough and dangerous go. But as the sport evolved its popularity did too.
There was no going for a ride then going to Zalla's for a burger and beer after. You were too puckered out from the day that at times ended very late. There was no such things as a groom trail to hustle back quickly. Or not to many groom trail's. Your day started by working hard and working hard all day to ride.

Today you can just buy a sled that is mountain ready and just go and ride. Never cut a track because there are so many tracks out there and go way back. Have virtually no backcountry experience and still get in there. 90% of women couldn't sled the mountain's at one time because it was tough, it was a man sport mainly. Today not the case, even Peewee Herman can do it. LOL
cheer's to all the girly men taking up sledding, you all make our life's interesting, don't forget your electronic gadget so we can find you when your in deep poop.
Some good points Lund but like everything else in this world things change! Change for the most part is good some just have a hard time adapting to it. We live in a "now" world. Just look at vehicles! A big horse power muscle car back in the 60's, 70's and 80's was what 200-350hp? Now you can purchase factory muscle cars with 500-707hp with reliability. Things change, times change some like it some don't.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as lund has stated,riding was way different than from now.you would modify sleds which was not aftermarket bolt on kits it was what you thought would work and was trial and error,and usually different for different sleds what would work. making bolt on paddles,tunnel cutting,suspension changes for deep pow etc.some areas the ride in and out was bad enough with no grooming and not having suspension like we have now. a rider had to be mechanically inclined lots of times just to ride,jetting and setting carbs on mountain,fix breakdowns on mountain for sleds werent as reliable as they are now.riders would push themselves and the sled to get into new areas which todays standards is nothing to get into.but that aspect of riding will never change,for new areas will always be something riders try and get for that will be the untracked fresh pow to ride.in the 80's there was now beacons,shovel,probe for safety,you had only yourself and your group to get everyone out and rides out for you could not call for help.look back to how sleds were hauled,you usually had no ramps like nowadays,you had tilt trailers and lifted sleds by hand to load into trucks,usually 2wheel drive trucks and sometimes used tire chaines just to get to the unloading spots,no super clamps so everything was straps and usually at night time by the time you were loading.trailers back then had 8 or 12 inch rims,which you never see now. look at the clothing we had,winter coveralls that were like a sponge when wet,heavy and could usually not be dry for the next day,feet and hands were wet. alot of changes in the sport,no i would not like to go back to how it was and love the changes i have seen in the sport,but yes i think there is more injures and rescues due to new riders not being able to handle the sled ,along with not being aware of surroundings,only a few people can out ride sleds today,most sleds are more capable than what they get used for.my sled is capable of more than i make it do,but i will use age as my excuse,

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

:beer: cheer's to all the girly men taking up sledding, you all make our life's interesting, don't forget your electronic gadget so we can find you when your in deep poop.

id take those old sled back in a second if it ment having the hills to yourself again. I can remember pulling into that old boulder parking lot on a Thursday morning and there being not a single other vehicle there.. Back when places like keystone were for late spring only Turtle and 51 were whispered rumors.
A person was on their best behaviour and didnt act like a drunken a-hole in hopes of getting to know some locals that might show you around after a year or two of being a decent regular.
back when big iron names such as Robbie Blair or Tom Collins, Darryl baker or Ron Mcdougal were the kings on the hill on stuff built by their own hands, not just douches that strolled into some shop and layed down 50g.
i guess I'm getting old, but those truly were the good old days in my mind!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is not that i miss the old technology of the past cause i don't. I can't imagine working on carb's anymore, they could be a pita at times especially jetting in relation to condition and elevation changes. Thank goodness for fuel injection....
What i miss most is the individuality of sled building. Today sled's are cut out of the same mold and other then color there is little to do, that's ok as they were back then also. But the manufacturers left out alot. It was more to the owner to modify and customize to get the desired results out of it. The OEM sleds were just a good foundation to start with. Experience and knowledge of the sport allowed you to build a unique sled that no one else had and also rivalry between friends allowed you to up the anti between each other in not just skills but in ingenuity. Them long nights in the shop building and getting pumped for the weekend for the real test was something.
It is probably the biggest reason today why i ride sleds that most people would not, i alway's need to modify and change things, its a habit. The challenge for me now is more taking an underdog and making it stand out enough to say...its different.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is not that i miss the old technology of the past cause i don't. I can't imagine working on carb's anymore, they could be a pita at times especially jetting in relation to condition and elevation changes. Thank goodness for fuel injection....
What i miss most is the individuality of sled building. Today sled's are cut out of the same mold and other then color there is little to do, that's ok as they were back then also. But the manufacturers left out alot. It was more to the owner to modify and customize to get the desired results out of it. The OEM sleds were just a good foundation to start with. Experience and knowledge of the sport allowed you to build a unique sled that no one else had and also rivalry between friends allowed you to up the anti between each other in not just skills but in ingenuity. Them long nights in the shop building and getting pumped for the weekend for the real test was something.
It is probably the biggest reason today why i ride sleds that most people would not, i alway's need to modify and change things, its a habit. The challenge for me now is more taking an underdog and making it stand out enough to say...its different.
I agree alot with that Mike, but one thing is the new sleds for gas, oil, maintenance is so little

The money saved on not modifying, ect

Means I can ride more and more for next to nothing

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree alot with that Mike, but one thing is the new sleds for gas, oil, maintenance is so little

The money saved on not modifying, ect

Means I can ride more and more for next to nothing

LOL, Jeff i think you missed my point completely.
It has nothing to do with money or saving money. It has nothing to do with low maintenance or turn key type sleds.
It has to do with a HOBBY and a culture, modifying a sled because you LOVE doing it. Its was part of THE culture of the time.
I realize today you can get more riding time on any of the current new sleds BUT it wasn't just about riding then but about building and modifying something no one else had. Sometimes it was good and sometimes it wasn't. It was about the passion that went into the build and being able to make it work in the hill's, the secrecy that went along so you had the advantage over your buddy. Or your buddy upped you and you had to go home humbled but not done.
Riding skill's went along but so did innovation and talent for building.
Ripping a sled down to the chassi and reforming things was just part of the sport and doing it for the fallowing weekend was what made you a diehard with a passion.
Something you really don't see anymore, like you said all you need to do is fuel up and ride. Ride your cookie cutter and bolt on somebody else's ideas and parts.
In many way's i miss them long nights working till past midnight so i can have an edge, the passion really isn't the same anymore. The sled i ride isn't truely mine but somebody else's....in a way.

I just wanted to add to my post that today the biggest thing i see is sledders bashing each other over a choice of brand. At least back then you really never could bash too much about the brand but more about bad ideas that went sideways or praises on ideas that worked well. Now what else can a tart bash about other then the brand choice today LOL.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I finally know who road that sled up Turbo hill after all these years Lund.

(The first time i got to the top of Turbo was on my modified Yamaha Exciter around 1987-88.)

We started off with Elan 250, Olympia 340, Massy Ferguson 340, John Deere spit fire the cyclone, there might of been a ski-role in there plus 6 others I forgot about.

Went to work for 20 years till some co-worker mentioned riding the Mountains in BC, so a home made Indy 500 lead the way for 5 years followed by a 2005 800cc Doo, RMK 900, super charged Nitro, all the way back to Poo 550 fan cool, then finished up with 2 800 Doo's with 14 years living in the Mountains of BC,,, all of BC since I sledded 2 x's in Alberta.

Vince was getting going at hill climbs and Bacuss boys were soon to follow, Thunder Struck folks got going about the same time.
I didn't get a chance to follow what they we're doing since I was on a lets say long road trip of many years sledding much of BC less Whistler and Kitamat BC,,, lots in the summer time since it give me the whole area to my self/ summer time pals !

Spent lots of cash, had many a good times, helped many a folk with issues, made many friends, seen lots of hills and Mountains, wore down 1 new truck and 2 trailers, and learned to live with less... Did I mention the less is more, Ha.

Had a major close call 6 years ago I think, so I rapped up operation "No Snowmobile." Switch funds to American travel and finding slow relaxing hobbies that cost nill.
Snowmobiling was hard to give up on since it was me, and I was it, but we change with age, thoughts, family & friends that help us move into the next faze of life.

Lucky to of had a good run with most friends in tact, and that means more than anything. Some that I know are now gone !

I still walk the floors of the sled shows to chat with long time pals.

I'll always be the friend I was less the skis & track since the spirt of adventure never fades till my spark dims out.

Pal Don in small town Lacombe

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neil and the crew from Boost-it are building the sickest mod sleds ever and are out "testing them" in Revy every weekend. just sayin.

The mod scene is is going better than ever, just look at the snow bike revolution.

Sounds like maybe you are just not as passionate about the sport as you once were? That's fine, sometimes in life people lose interest in things they once enjoyed.

But you can mod the chit out of these new sleds if you want.

Last edited:
Top Bottom