I/O or O/B??????????????

Copter6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a volvo 5.7L and I coudn't be happier with it! Much quiter than my old boat with a mercury Black Max 135HP Outboard

haakeyez50

Reaction score
Hi read most of the threads. I personally like OB over inboard. Have owned outboards all my life. Have had 1956 wooden 14ft with 7.5 HP Evenrude.Than a 1963 14 ft. Typhoon Vanguard with a 50 hp Mercury Than put a 1966 80 HP. mercury on it wanted more power. This boat pulled 5 ( five ) slalom skiers beach start. Than I bought a 1976 16 Ft. Bayon with 150 HP. Merc. I had to replace the distributor in 1993 and didn't take the time to time the motor right. sized it. so than I bought a 200 HP. Pro Max Mercury Performance Product Engine (Bass fishing motor) and put it on the 16 ft. hull. 80 MPH on the water clocked by radar gun. That is one of the easiest engines to look after. replace water pump every two years just drop leg and replace. Drain lower unit oil every fall and refill again so nothing rusts. 80/90 weight gear oil. Put fuel stabilizer in fuel and your done. It never has costed me more than those parts yearly. I just transferred that engine to a 2001 Campion Allante Sport 160 it does about 68 MPH hope to get 70 MPH out of it.

Now for IB info lot easier on fuel but for winterizing a lot more money especially if you by chance forget to winterize it properly ask my bud. He had a 350 Chev. 4 bolt main engine that was not winterized properly and cracked the block so bad that he had water get into everything. In the spring the block was cracked inside and out. Lifter gallery as well as water jackets . Had to replace every brg. turn the crank. Transferred all the parts to a new block. Not Cheap at all. He won't do the work himself any more. He pays well to get it done. Yes he does go quick but never as quick as an out board. Even some V drives and Jet boats have trouble to keep up to the out boards.
To end, my preference is Out Boards especially Mercury MPP but each to their own.
Thanks RH Haakeye
Ford and Yamaha and Mercury are #one in my booksI also do boat carding

Last edited:

durion

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2008 Bayliner 195, with a 4.3L merc. Got the standard seating with all ammenities, wake tower and all. Looking forward to getting it out on the water.

Thanks to everyone for all the info.

If anyone is looking for a good dealer, so far I highly recommend Shipwreck Marine in Edmonton.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2008 Bayliner 195, with a 4.3L merc. Got the standard seating with all ammenities, wake tower and all. Looking forward to getting it out on the water.

If anyone is looking for a good dealer, so far I highly recommend Shipwreck Marine in Edmonton.

:nopics:

Lets see the new toy

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Were all about the photos...if you have trouble posting them just let me know so I can help you out.

Cheerz

durion

Reaction score
I'll be sure to post some photos when I pick it up. They told me it should be ready by may long weekend. It is coming in from BC.

durion

Reaction score
All picked up and had it out on the water all weekend.

Attachments

• May 2009 153.jpg
    May 2009 153.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 52
  • May 2009 154.jpg
    May 2009 154.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 51

durion

Reaction score
Yeah I like the look of the tower but I didnt get the Bayliner flight graphics, i wasnt to fussy about it so i kept it standard.

Black Summit 800

Reaction score
We have a 22' King fisher with twin 90 horse Mercs . When run at full power they are noisier and when trolling at low speed they smell of fuel and oil . I prefer a Sterndrive . My last boat was a 19'6 with a 350 Chevy 300 hp it was easy on fuel and cheep to operate and maintain .I'll go back to a Stern drive with big power next time I like the idea of going fast at 3/4 throttle rather than running full bore all the time , I got a lot better fuel economy and don't ware the engine out . every body has there own idea what is better you need to deside your self. One more thing if you use the boat in salt water the sterndrive has a closed cooling systom the out bord runs the salt water through the engine .

Top Bottom