Backup generator for home

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
That's a sh!tty deal for sure. You're starting to see lot of off grid builds with dedicated powerhouses built some distance away from the home for this reason. Would suck to loose $50k in generators, batteries, inverters, and charging gear, but at least the house would remain.
That’s how I built mine. I have a 10000 kubota diesel, 8 450a/h 6v batteries and a 48v 4500w inverter charger in an 8x8 shed. Put it across the driveway and away from cabin just for the fire reason.
34BCBC3E-034F-4F4E-A656-19A91655E43A.jpeg

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up this bad boy. Getting messages at night about grid over load and dont want to be cold and in the dark! If this becomes a regular thing ill definetly be looking at a generac setup!

View attachment 278145
I like the tri fuel idea quick disconnect at the bbq location
might have to upgrade the cheap champion I have

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the tri fuel idea quick disconnect at the bbq location
might have to upgrade the cheap champion I have

Thats why I got this one, cause of the tri fuel. 1200$ at home depot. 8kw continuous E start.

Good deal I think. Probably will never need it now that I got it. But at least Danielle Smith won't be laughing at me as hard, when she shuts off my power while she charges 5 teslas or something

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats why I got this one, cause of the tri fuel. 1200$ at home depot. 8kw continuous E start.

Good deal I think. Probably will never need it now that I got it. But at least Danielle Smith won't be laughing at me as hard, when she shuts off my power while she charges 5 teslas or something

Thats a beast!

I may pickup a welding blanket from Princess Auto to keep the generator warm. I could also use it around the smoker when its nasty out too keep the heat inside.

I just ran my generator for about 30 minutes and it ran fine. Topped it up with some fresh fuel and its ready to go.

One thing I'd like to find is a more flexible cord that goes from the generator to the transfer switch. The one that came with it isn't very forgiving in the summer, let-alone in these temps!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a beast!

I may pickup a welding blanket from Princess Auto to keep the generator warm. I could also use it around the smoker when its nasty out too keep the heat inside.

I just ran my generator for about 30 minutes and it ran fine. Topped it up with some fresh fuel and its ready to go.

One thing I'd like to find is a more flexible cord that goes from the generator to the transfer switch. The one that came with it isn't very forgiving in the summer, let-alone in these temps!

Ya its heavy.

I got this cord from co-op. 4 prong twist lock 25 ft flexable to -40 they claim. Rated for 7500 watts was 170$.

20240114_151900.jpg

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a suggestion.. unplug all cords when starting units to avoid surges, I have lost my fair share of electronics due to power surges from generators, let it get up to the proper HZ and slowly load it up. Always a good idea to confirm with a multimeter every now and and again that you are putting out clean power no surging etc. Just a some random thoughts. Might save you a few bucks..

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
none of me -40 cords bend at -40 even with juice going through them

Ya im not surprised. Im gonna leave it inside until i need it. Once its going wont be a big deal.

Its a loud unit, but got it started in the cold. So thats a good sign glad its E start though. Would have been quite a bit of pulling today!

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes,,, if its a carburetor gen-set and a person is packing it around in a truck or trailer its a good idea too shut the fuel off in transport mode...

Just like carbureted motorcycle/ atv, / ohv ,,, when a person bounding down the road the float is sloshing around in the fuel bowl opening and closing the float needle ...
The excess fuel spills into the cylinder slipping past the rings into the crank case...

Not good for the engine oil and a potential too end up with """crank case flash off""" taking out a piston or blowing a hole in the crank case... lol

Most likey the edge of a piston since todays aluminum crank cases are pretty beefy...

Yes yes yes,,, stabilize fuel mix,,, run genny too shake it up,,, turn off fuel and run it dry ... 10 too 1 the gell'ed fuel """residue""" is least likely too plug up float bowl needle or gum up aspirator tube...
Most efi units will push the gunk'ed gel threw the throttle-body...
20240109_082614.jpg

My older model Onda 1000 watt didn't come with the fuel burn off switch like my new 2200 watt unit...

Ended up cleaning the carburetor a few weeks ago too get the low speed eco mode working,,, a few tank full's of fuel too get it up and runn'ing...

Dumped the excess fuel back into the jerry can,,, ran the carb dry and put it in storage...

18 ish years old,,, burns next too nill for fuel,,, 24 ish hour oil change. Intervals,,, dosen't burn any oil...

I liked my 1000 for the small stuff,,, charging batteries,,, 800 watt heater or hot water kettle,,, engine Block heater,,, power up my lap top,,, e-assist Lithium batteries,,, cell phone,,, bla bla bla...
20240107_104403.jpg

14 ish years traveling threw-out bc snowmobiling or Whistler for mtb rides,,, 1 million ++ miles on that beast... lol

20211002_122130.jpg

Little generator coverd alot of ground,,, kept it locked up in the sleeper or dry box too keep it out of the dust and moisture...

A gen-set will last a life time if there looked after...

I would of never switched over too the 2200 watt unit but my carbon foot needs too increase with changing times...

All in the quest too support our fossil fuel industry and maximize my carbon foot print too feed more trees and green spaces...

We can't have a green planet if we don't do our part ... lol

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed one of these this summer so I can jack in the generator. It gives me 10 circuits that I can move from line power to generator power and you don't have to shut off your main breaker because it will not back feed into the grid. It works pretty good. I have a Firman 3300 that powers everything I need. The only thing that made it "grunt" was when I manually triggered the sump pump. I may fire it up later today to see how it runs in the cold.

https://www.costco.ca/reliance-cont...r-switch-complete-kit.product.4000195395.html
"I have a Firman 3300 that powers everything I need"

What might "everything I neeed" be? Trying to get an idea of what you would have hooked up and can run at the same time, as I have been thinking of doing the same. Certinaly this latest cold snap and power grid warnign has me more motivated to get it done.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just did 2 days of running me 5500 champion I used a moving blanket covered 3 sides left the exhaust side open made sure blanket didn't get suck tight to recoil for air flow worked great
Dease still doing rolling black outs?

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a plugin wired on the side of my power shed for my MIG welder on a 50 amp circuit. I have a 30 ft cheater cord to go from my generator to this plug in. I have a 6500 Honda Inverter that I keep in my heated shop along with the 30 ft cheater cord. Gives me enough time to get them set up in the cold before the cord goes stiff and the generator is to cold to start. Shut off my Hydro breaker and power up the place. Have to phone my neighbor's once in a while to find out when power is back on so I can reverse the process.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"I have a Firman 3300 that powers everything I need"

What might "everything I neeed" be? Trying to get an idea of what you would have hooked up and can run at the same time, as I have been thinking of doing the same. Certinaly this latest cold snap and power grid warnign has me more motivated to get it done.

Furnace, garage furnace and plugs (including door opener and small beer fridge), sump pump, Internet and IT stuff in the utility room, refrigerator, basement refrigerator and deep freeze, some kitchen plugs, some upstairs and downstairs lighting. I can watch the load on the transfer switch and power individual circuits off and on as needed. When I tested it, I had everything on the generator and the only thing that made it work was when I forced on the sump-pump. The main things that I want to keep going are the furnaces and the fridges and freezer. I've been going through everything to see what are the killers in consumption so that you can avoid some items. For example, the coffee maker alone will pull 1000W on its own.

Top Bottom