Backup generator for home

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see champion has some stackable lithium power station, lots of rave reviews. But has always anything lithium or so called green gets out to lunch reviews. But if someone wants a few hours of quiet power this would be the ticket if you have more money than brains. But if anyone has tried them a true rating would be nice to see. They are available at canadiantire and costco.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im learning more about Lithium batteries my self this year,,, there are some pros and cons from the little bit I've learned in the e-bike world

Price,,, quality and time,,, you can pick 2 but you cant have all 3...

Cold weather and range anxiety,,, recharge cycles and time,,, max capacity new vers old,,, and other factors ive yet too learn...

I can only use a e-bike as an example of how long a small Lithium battery will last or pett'er-out...

Toasters,,, kettles and electric motors burn power fast,,, mind you todays lights and high tech light bulbs will stay light for years on one small Lithium battery...

20240113_154413.jpg

Temperature plays a big roll in how long they will last,,, all Lithium batteries have comfortable Temperature range in which they """perform""" too there optimum performance...

An example might be -20 too +40c
Maybe -10 too +30 for the knock off brands...
- 40c and colder with out a heat pack might make """some""" Lithium batteries use-less

Factors,,, lots and lots of under-lying factors are at play...

Of course there is the deep-cycle liquid or gel batteries too choose from,,, there again,,, lots of plus'es and negative's in that department ...

Price,,, quality,,, time,,, storage,,, maintenance seem too factor into what a person expects or what we receive in real world use...

Don't get me right nor wrong,,, there are some folks that have old battery power tools that have lasted for decades running the same battery that the drill or grinder came with...

Koo-doo"s too them,,, there are also folk that only got a few years out of their power tools only too find out that a replacement Lithium battery is more then the drill or grinder is worth...

Use and time ÷ by costs is one way of looking at it...

Years and cycles could be another...

Im just throwing this out there from a fellow that knows very little of what works or not...

I add $10 too my Pigg'y bank for ever ride i go on,,, a bit of over kill for a cheap e-bike...

10 rides = $100 bucks
100 rides to $1000
Ive only owned my e-bike for 4 months and banked alot of coin because i want too make sure my funds are there when it needs replacement in a few years...

All i know is that $10 for a hobby or sport I truely enjoy is worth every penny,,, if there is a short fall I'll increase my costs too $20 bucks a ride...

I guess the same can be said for everything we do or have included power systems and the a-ray of what we get out of them for use """or""" back-up if that be the case...

Just throwing out ideas and hoping too learn something new since innovative ideas help move us forward in all aspects of things We do

Thanks for sharing all,,, this thread is like 101 of higher learning for this old guy...

Cheers

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Furnace, garage furnace and plugs (including door opener and small beer fridge), sump pump, Internet and IT stuff in the utility room, refrigerator, basement refrigerator and deep freeze, some kitchen plugs, some upstairs and downstairs lighting. I can watch the load on the transfer switch and power individual circuits off and on as needed. When I tested it, I had everything on the generator and the only thing that made it work was when I forced on the sump-pump. The main things that I want to keep going are the furnaces and the fridges and freezer. I've been going through everything to see what are the killers in consumption so that you can avoid some items. For example, the coffee maker alone will pull 1000W on its own.
Wow...more than I was expecting on a 3300. Good to know! Thanks!

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow...more than I was expecting on a 3300. Good to know! Thanks!

I think it helps that not everything is on all at once. Furnaces cycle off and on, freezers and fridges do the same. Its been so dry lately that my sump-pump rarely runs, even in a rainstorm. All of my lights are LED which helps, and you wouldn't have everything on at once. I also have on of my TVs on a generator circuit in the event its needed for the news, or an Oiler's game to pass the time!

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes,,, cycle appliances as needed for the smaller power plants helps...

Maybe the day will come when folks go back too wood burning stones and oil lamps...

Awwwwwee yes,,, the old root-cellers with frozen blocks of lake-ice cover'ed in a blanket of saw dust/ wood chips with a old canvas tarp too keep things cold from Spring too fall leading into the winter months...

All that work added quality too the good old days...

Nabour helping nabour...

Funny how the Industrial Age changed all that

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Anyone ever think about a grid tie inverter with batteries? I bet for about 7000$ I could set one up in n my place. If the grid dropped the inverter would just take over. Wouldn’t even see a flicker. Once grids back on it would charge your batteries back up. If down longer than 24hrs you would then be able to start a generator which would also tie to the bc inverter and charge the batteries.

This is the system I currently am using at my cabin. I am completely off grid but if I had grid power it’s just a simple connection to the inverter.

Last edited:

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So... Inverter vs. standard generator. What are the risks of using a standard type when powering your house and all the new appliances with electronics as well as your other electronics?

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
So... Inverter vs. standard generator. What are the risks of using a standard type when powering your house and all the new appliances with electronics as well as your other electronics?
You really just need to ensure what ever you’re using is 60hz output. A standard generator runs at 1800 or 3600 rpm to achieve 60hz where an inverter will output 60hz at any RPM. When using any generator it’s best to let it stabilize before switching in the output power. It’s when you get into inverters using batteries to generate AC is where you can have issues. Cheap inverters run a modified sign wave which can damage some electronics. Always look for pure sign wave if running computers or tv’s

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wired up a 50 amp generator plug on the outside of my house.

images

No its not legal, but might get a generator interlock kit to make it safer for the lineman

shopping

Im thinking this generator because it runs on gas, propane and NG. And is cheap.

View attachment 278066

I haven't had any power outages ever, just want to be prepared. If it becomes a regular problem id look into a better setup
I've got a Firman very similar to that one but runs on either gas or propane only. Thing is a beast but can be hard to start on cold days and is hella loud if it's outside, I've got mine inside my shed and vented the exhaust with a kit from Gen Exhaust so no exhaust fumes inside the shed but I will say that it does get nice and toasty inside when the generator is running.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a Firman very similar to that one but runs on either gas or propane only. Thing is a beast but can be hard to start on cold days and is hella loud if it's outside, I've got mine inside my shed and vented the exhaust with a kit from Gen Exhaust so no exhaust fumes inside the shed but I will say that it does get nice and toasty inside when the generator is running.

This one has E start. I mananged to start it outside at 38 below. And it had been outside all day.

ill leave it on a battery tender and keep a can of ether handy too. Haha

Its just sitting outside right now, but the plan is to have it in a small shed

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I've only ever used mine after/during summer storms that knocked the power out. Is it really necessary to have an enclosure around these things in the winter? I keep mine in the front attached (heated) garage. When the power has gone out (I usually wait for it to out for more than an hour) I roll it outside (has "wheelbarrow handles" and front wheels), fire it up, while it warms/stabilizes I run the cord to the Generlink then plug it in. I don't shut off any breakers at the panel...just don't use the dryer, AC or oven. (hmmm...just took a pic....it's bigger than I originally posted, oops)

Anyways...does it need to be kept warm? Toss a moving blanket over it leaving the exhaust side open? It has Rotella T6 5-40 in it...use that stuff in all my small motors. The motor appears to be a chinese knockoff Honda-type motor....I dunno, maybe 6.5-8 hp?
IMG_1950.jpg

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to put in in a shed just cause. Works fine outside in the cold.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I've only ever used mine after/during summer storms that knocked the power out. Is it really necessary to have an enclosure around these things in the winter? I keep mine in the front attached (heated) garage. When the power has gone out (I usually wait for it to out for more than an hour) I roll it outside (has "wheelbarrow handles" and front wheels), fire it up, while it warms/stabilizes I run the cord to the Generlink then plug it in. I don't shut off any breakers at the panel...just don't use the dryer, AC or oven. (hmmm...just took a pic....it's bigger than I originally posted, oops)

Anyways...does it need to be kept warm? Toss a moving blanket over it leaving the exhaust side open? It has Rotella T6 5-40 in it...use that stuff in all my small motors. The motor appears to be a chinese knockoff Honda-type motor....I dunno, maybe 6.5-8 hp?
View attachment 278281

Mine claims 16hp. 420cc. Yours is just about the same size it looks like

Top Bottom