Backup generator for home

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thought this may be helpful for some peeps considering having a backup generator system for home. Keep in mind I am doing this as cheap as possible for now until I want or need to do a permanent setup. 2 -3 4000w gas gens outside, 1 2000 inverter for electronics, not ideal I get it but more is better sometimes and its what I have.

I am going pretty basic with extension cords to where ever needed, freezer, fridge, furnace, jet pump from well is 110 capable. Gas is hot water and furnace so I am pretty much covered.

Would like to hear your ideas or possible things I am missing.

Unfortunately this looks like it is going to be an issue in the future

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have any 240volt appliances in my house (minus the AC unit) so my plan is simple. My dryer sits on an outside wall, so I'll make up a cheater cord to plug the 120volt output on my 3000 watt inverter generator into the dryer plug, pull the dryer away from the wall and vent, run the cord in the vent and plug into the wall. (Basically a suicide cord with a NEMA TT-30P to a NEMA 14-30P) Of course this requires switching off my main breaker, AC unit and solar panel breaker before connecting. And I'll backfeed my entire panel from the dryer circuit.

I almost never exceed a power draw of 2500 watts, so we should be able to go on life as normal this way (minus that we can't use the dryer). Also avoids running extensions cords to everything.

What I need to look into is if my generator can operate continuously outside in -40, might have to block some of the air intakes for cooling to keep the air cooled engine warm enough.

Of course none of this is code legal, or "safe" in the eyes of most electrical experts, but it will keep my furnace and appliances on if need be.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had planned on building some utilidor type enclosure for mine to drop over for sound and warmth for genset.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wired up a 50 amp generator plug on the outside of my house.

images

No its not legal, but might get a generator interlock kit to make it safer for the lineman

shopping

Im thinking this generator because it runs on gas, propane and NG. And is cheap.

1705168339100.png

I haven't had any power outages ever, just want to be prepared. If it becomes a regular problem id look into a better setup

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or maybe this one because its a bit more powerful. Want one that can heat the hot tub. Its not setup for NG though

images

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One question I do have for utility gas operators is how long does the gas infrastructure last without electricity? For instrumentation and things like that.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im no expert, but a guy in Texas on youtube was saying his power was out for a week because of a huricane or something.
And the natural gas was working the whole time.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Generlink transfer switch https://www.generlink.com/

It plugs in between the meter and the box...so you need to get the electrical provider guy out there to do it and put 2 seals on the meter. "Technically" you are supposed tto have the provider disconnect the meter, then use an electrician to hook up the Generlink, then the provider guy re-does the meter and seals. It is only 1 ground wire...when my electrical rep saw it, he just did it himself....said he was going to get one for his place.

Once that's hooked up you plug in and 240v 2 phase generator and it runs your whole house. I don't run the dryer or AC or anything...but the 6500w genny pretty much keeps the whole house running like nothing happened. I just have a cheap (loud) Home Depot special that I use. Only had to use it 2x in 10 years out here, but was worth it....all my lights on, fridges going, garage powered up, watching TV....all around me in the dark.

Edit: the genny is a gasoline deal....holds 5 gallons. It burns through 5 gal in about 10 hours....so not real good. I always keep it full (with Stabil) and keep 2 5 gall jugs full in the garage.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have noisy contractor generator, it's 11K starting and 8K continuous. I use a Generlink which goes on the meter, easy to connect and is legal, has a disconnect so I don't send any power out and protects my generator when the line comes back up. I added a tri-fuel kit so it can run on NatGas, propane or gasoline. I wasn't as diligent in keeping fresh gas in it as I should have been, ran like hell on gasoline. I tied onto a 100lb propane cylinder and ran it off that during the last outage a few days ago. I need to get off my ass and get a hose/disconnect so I can run on nat.gas. Not sure how good the propane would be this morning if I needed it. Guess you could stick the cylinder by the exhaust to keep the propane boiling. Have less than 2k invested which isn't bad considering the price of real standby generators. The auto-start would be nice when I'm away though...

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting thing I just learned about Stabil is that it creates a film on top of gas does not treat it. So if you have move your item say something you are transporting etc.. It is basically in effective. Not sure what the best alternative is. Probably an enzyme type treatment.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have noisy contractor generator, it's 11K starting and 8K continuous. I use a Generlink which goes on the meter, easy to connect and is legal, has a disconnect so I don't send any power out and protects my generator when the line comes back up. I added a tri-fuel kit so it can run on NatGas, propane or gasoline. I wasn't as diligent in keeping fresh gas in it as I should have been, ran like hell on gasoline. I tied onto a 100lb propane cylinder and ran it off that during the last outage a few days ago. I need to get off my ass and get a hose/disconnect so I can run on nat.gas. Not sure how good the propane would be this morning if I needed it. Guess you could stick the cylinder by the exhaust to keep the propane boiling. Have less than 2k invested which isn't bad considering the price of real standby generators. The auto-start would be nice when I'm away though...
Every spring I drain the generator and put fresh premium in with Stabil.....run it for 15 min or so. I rotate my jerry cans too.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wired up a 50 amp generator plug on the outside of my house.

images

No its not legal, but might get a generator interlock kit to make it safer for the lineman

shopping

Im thinking this generator because it runs on gas, propane and NG. And is cheap.

View attachment 278066

I haven't had any power outages ever, just want to be prepared. If it becomes a regular problem id look into a better setup
I did the same and wired a cord from it through the wall and inside that i can plug into my dryer outlet. Have a 9kw generator (champion) outside to provide 30amps which will backfeed the house. Pick and choose what i want on with breakers (main breaker off). Not legal but last resort. Minimal power outages where i am aswell, all about preparation.

Was fairly cheap since i already had the generator. Looking to upgrade to an invertor gen though to be easier on electronics.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I
I did the same and wired a cord from it through the wall and inside that i can plug into my dryer outlet. Have a 9kw generator (champion) outside to provide 30amps which will backfeed the house. Pick and choose what i want on with breakers (main breaker off). Not legal but last resort. Minimal power outages where i am aswell, all about preparation.

Was fairly cheap since i already had the generator. Looking to upgrade to an invertor gen though to be easier on electronics.

I wired mine to a 40 amp breaker in the main panel so I don't have to fuk around with a suicide cord

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya thats a better alternative, mine is hardwired in the box and plugged into the dryer outlet before turning on the gen so not a big concern.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Main reason i did it is that i need 240v for my well pump, everything else that is essential would be 120v.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Generlink transfer switch https://www.generlink.com/

It plugs in between the meter and the box...so you need to get the electrical provider guy out there to do it and put 2 seals on the meter. "Technically" you are supposed tto have the provider disconnect the meter, then use an electrician to hook up the Generlink, then the provider guy re-does the meter and seals. It is only 1 ground wire...when my electrical rep saw it, he just did it himself....said he was going to get one for his place.

Once that's hooked up you plug in and 240v 2 phase generator and it runs your whole house. I don't run the dryer or AC or anything...but the 6500w genny pretty much keeps the whole house running like nothing happened. I just have a cheap (loud) Home Depot special that I use. Only had to use it 2x in 10 years out here, but was worth it....all my lights on, fridges going, garage powered up, watching TV....all around me in the dark.

Edit: the genny is a gasoline deal....holds 5 gallons. It burns through 5 gal in about 10 hours....so not real good. I always keep it full (with Stabil) and keep 2 5 gall jugs full in the garage.
If you dont mind me asking, where did you buy your Generlink from?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I Put a manual transfer switch/ panel with 240v plug on my well house to keep it warm and have water available since I had to redo all the electrical for adding a cistern system. Have a champion 10kw propane generator to connect.
I'm building a 30x 40 shop and the cost to run a new service from the road to it is ridiculous, so I may just buy a big genset to run the shop and have the ability to power the house too with a transfer switch panel if needed.
I foresee some grid issues in the near future.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every spring I drain the generator and put fresh premium in with Stabil.....run it for 15 min or so. I rotate my jerry cans too.
Who has time? I had Stabil but it had been a while. That's the nice thing about propane or nat.gas set-up, fuel doesn't have those issues.

Top Bottom