NEW TO SNOWMOBILING RECOMMENDATIONS REQUESTED PLEASE AND THANKS 😊

Kiandra

Reaction score
I am from Northeastern Ontario. Looking for recommendations on what older used snowmobile that I could enjoy on a trail and possibly in powder, but mostly trail. Nothing too expensive and will be buying a used snomobile. I am a 5' 7" 143 lb 45 year old woman, so can't move anything heavy.

I tried driving my husband's Skidoo MXZ 800R Adrenaline and tried to move it but couldn't get to move not even an inch. While driving it, I tried to put all my weight to make it lean to turn but wouldn't lean.

I am looking at possibly getting a Yamaha Venom or Arctic Cat Blaze but not sure because of the cost.

Last edited:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to have a couple of 2009 Crossfires.
Those were probably the best trail/deeper snow crossover sleds I've ever owned.

If you are just looking for trails. I'd recommend the 600 catalyst. I think you can get the trail sleds in a twin rail still

Kiandra

Reaction score
I used to have a couple of 2009 Crossfires.
Those were probably the best trail/deeper snow crossover sleds I've ever owned.

If you are just looking for trails. I'd recommend the 600 catalyst. I think you can get the trail sleds in a twin rail still
Ok but how are they for weight? I can't handle anything heavy. Also what is the make for the 2009 Crossfire and the 600 Catalyst?

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both are Arctic cats.
The catalyst is their newest platform. So I really can't say how they are for weight.
For that I'd recommend stopping in at a cat dealer and seeing what's they have and how it feels

Kiandra

Reaction score
Both are Arctic cats.
The catalyst is their newest platform. So I really can't say how they are for weight.
For that I'd recommend stopping in at a cat dealer and seeing what's they have and how it feels
Oh ok. We don't live close enough to a Cat dealership to stop in and as mentioned I am not going to be purchasing new, so would rather have recommendations with older sleds but thanks though 🙂

Reactions: RXN

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 5’1 ish wife had a 2013 Polaris 600 RMK 144”. It goes quite well in the snow and she was able to throw it around a bit (very green rider). That being said, we replaced it with a 2023 skidoo summit 850 154“ and she handles it way better. What does your husband think you should ride?

Reactions: RXN

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately there's not really anything out there that's older in the Blast/Venom class. Its a fairly recent entry to the market, quite frankly it's a section of the market that is underserved.

I had a 2012 Pro RMK 600 155 for my 5' nothing wife. No matter what I did to the suspension she struggled to ride it, she simply didn't have the weight or upper body strength to make it work. Eventually she hung up the helmet and I sold it. I often wonder if we tried again with a Polaris Indy Evo or the Blast of she'd be able to make it work.

I totally understand keeping to a budget, but I'm also a believer in buying the right equipment for the rider. The plus is a Blast or Venom is a sought after youth model, so if it didn't work out you should be able to sell it quite quickly for (relatively) minimal loss.

Just my 2 cents

Kiandra

Reaction score
My 5’1 ish wife had a 2013 Polaris 600 RMK 144”. It goes quite well in the snow and she was able to throw it around a bit (very green rider). That being said, we replaced it with a 2023 skidoo summit 850 154“ and she handles it way better. What does your husband think you should ride?
He isn't sure what would be good really. He's only driven a Yamaha Indy and his mxz

Kiandra

Reaction score
Unfortunately there's not really anything out there that's older in the Blast/Venom class. Its a fairly recent entry to the market, quite frankly it's a section of the market that is underserved.

I had a 2012 Pro RMK 600 155 for my 5' nothing wife. No matter what I did to the suspension she struggled to ride it, she simply didn't have the weight or upper body strength to make it work. Eventually she hung up the helmet and I sold it. I often wonder if we tried again with a Polaris Indy Evo or the Blast of she'd be able to make it work.

I totally understand keeping to a budget, but I'm also a believer in buying the right equipment for the rider. The plus is a Blast or Venom is a sought after youth model, so if it didn't work out you should be able to sell it quite quickly for (relatively) minimal loss.

Just my 2 cents
Yeah I realize they are newer models. I was reviewing YouTube video about them so I am looking more on something that would somewhat similar. That's why I posted here.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not know what the Ski doo line up had to offer, but the earlier Polaris Pro or Indy chassis (2011-2015) or Axy (2016-2021) with the 550 fan cooled engine or the 600 liquid cooled engine were probably the lightest on the market, very reliable, and would be fairly affordable.
The Pro was a few lbs lighter than the Indy or evo due to track, rails, shocks, etc but come with the 600 liquid cooled engine..
I put my grandkids on Indy 550’s due to fan cooled, they can drive slower, in low snow conditions and not worry about over heating the engine..
Good luck with whatever your purchase may be 😊

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at a Polaris evo it's a Smaller sized sled
The Evo’s were the same chassis as the indy and Pro, but with wider an arms (I think they are 42” wide) and heavier rails, cheap shocks etc. They sit lower and are very flat footed, good starter sled for kids other than heavy..

Kiandra

Reaction score
The Evo’s were the same chassis as the indy and Pro, but with wider an arms (I think they are 42” wide) and heavier rails, cheap shocks etc. They sit lower and are very flat footed, good starter sled for kids other than heavy..
It's not for a kid, it's for me but I don't have a lot of arm strength

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not for a kid, it's for me but I don't have a lot of arm strength
Yes I know it’s for you, I was just letting you know that the Evo is flat footed, not as easy to throw around or as playful as the Pro model. It makes a very good beginner sled, out of the box, for a 9-13 year old.

Kiandra

Reaction score
Yes I know it’s for you, I was just letting you know that the Evo is flat footed, not as easy to throw around or as playful as the Pro model. It makes a very good beginner sled, out of the box, for a 9-13 year old.
I have only driven a sled 2 times in my life so I am totally a novice. I just don't want to be worried about getting stuck or not being able to easily steer the sled while driving. That's why I am looking at smaller sleds as my first one so that I can build confidence while driving. I know the Evo, blast or venom is geared for kids but I have just seen video reviews of women who are similar to my size and new to sledding that own either one of the three and they all love them.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am from Northeastern Ontario. Looking for recommendations on what older used snowmobile that I could enjoy on a trail and possibly in powder, but mostly trail. Nothing too expensive and will be buying a used snomobile. I am a 5' 7" 143 lb 45 year old woman, so can't move anything heavy.

I tried driving my husband's Skidoo MXZ 800R Adrenaline and tried to move it but couldn't get to move not even an inch. While driving it, I tried to put all my weight to make it lean to turn but wouldn't lean.

I am looking at possibly getting a Yamaha Venom or Arctic Cat Blaze but not sure because of the cost.
You should mention your budget.

Realize a couple things. All modern full size sleds are 400-600lbs, so someone of your stature will require significant effort and skill to 'move.' Secondly, a sled that handles well off trail will be poor on the trail and vice versa. An MXZ is a trail sled and not designed for off trail riding. I wouldn't doubt that a new rider would have difficulty with it. Kids sleds are underpowered and overpriced. The used market is still pretty high and the value isn't there.

If you want learn to ride off trail, basically the newer the better of any mountain sled is the way to go. The handling and ease of riding has come a long way in recent years. That said, it won't be a good sled for the trails. If the majority of your riding will be trail, I would be looking for a trail model.

I have only driven a sled 2 times in my life so I am totally a novice. just don't want to be worried about getting stuck

This unfortunately is part of the sport. Staying on 'trail' will significantly reduce your stucks. Riding skill takes years to develop. You just need to get out there and build your skills.

Also, snow and mud is a forum that is primarily focused on mountain riding in British Columbia. Northern Ontario riding is vastly different and the relevant advice you get here will be limited.

While some may disagree, I'd suggest you look at a Yamaha Phaser MTX. They are super reliable and low maintenance, have ample power for a novice and fit people of smaller stature. While you're not climbing any mountains with one, there are deals to be had.

Last edited:

Kiandra

Reaction score
You should mention your budget.

Realize a couple things. All modern full size sleds are 400-600lbs, so someone of your stature will require significant effort and skill to 'move.' Secondly, a sled that handles well off trail will be poor on the trail and vice versa. An MXZ is a trail sled and not designed for off trail riding. I wouldn't doubt that a new rider would have difficulty with it. Kids sleds are underpowered and overpriced. The used market is still pretty high and the value isn't there.

If you want learn to ride off trail, basically the newer the better of any mountain sled is the way to go. The handling and ease of riding has come a long way in recent years. That said, it won't be a good sled for the trails. If the majority of your riding will be trail, I would be looking for a trail model.

This unfortunately is part of the sport. Staying on 'trail' will significantly reduce your stucks. Riding skill takes years to develop. You just need to get out there and build your skills.

Also, snow and mud is a forum that is primarily focused on mountain riding in British Columbia. Northern Ontario riding is vastly different and the relevant advice you get here will be limited.

While some may disagree, I'd suggest you look at a Yamaha Phaser MTX. They are super reliable and low maintenance, have ample power for a novice and fit people of smaller stature. While you're not climbing any mountains with one, there are deals to be had.
I would be driving primarily on trails so just trying to figure out what would be good for me, but be able to move it if need be without too much struggle and be able to steer without having to lean too much. Thanks for the suggestion. Also I didn't realize this forum was more for mountain climbing, which I would not be doing at all.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like all you need is a fan cooled sled, if you can find a skidoo fan cooled 300 tundra they are very light not easy to get stuck and will still cruze around at 60k an hours. They will hold their value and then some for years to come.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I agree with a phazer great sled and lots of good deals out there. Disagree that this site is only mountain forum , we have members from all over and will always welcome you here and members from all over will give you advise from all different angles, you wont get that on Doo Talk. Thanks for being a part of snowandmud.

Top Bottom