MPI turbo issues on Yamaha viper

John Cambell

Reaction score
Hi there. I am looking for a solution. I put a 180MPI turbo on my Viper. When I'm doing donuts in the meadows and if I fall off and the sled slightly tips on its side it leaks oil all over the clutching and belts. You can guess what that leads to

Once the oil is on my clutch/ belts it takes pretty much 3 hours to burn off. It squeaks. Squeals. Barely moves at first. This has happened 2 weeks in a row, since I've had the sled basically.

Basically I bought a mountain sled but in reality I can only use it as a trail sled as it can't be on its side. And by on its side, I mean barely on its side, kinda leaning on the powder.

I have talked to Yamaha and they have let me know MPI knows of this issue. Also the rollover valve was not recommended from Yamaha as they have a high failure rate. Yamaha has been very good about it. Thumbs up for that. I'm just trying to get some info to hopefully solve my issue so I can start fully enjoying my sled. Thanks for any advice

• Thanks
Reactions: K45

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think most guys that run 4 strokes have roll over valves and some kind of catch can. theres a few other viper owners on here so hopefully one of them can chime in.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your the same dude that posted on rolling a Nytro, i think you need to reread that thread. What do you think a Viper is?
A Nytro in different clothing.

Yes corrent ROV valves are no good and will cause more grieve then anything else.

Last edited:

Skyline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a longer vent tube on it with catch can on the end of the vent, this will catch oil and keep it off your clutches

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First, if your going to ride a Viper or a Nytro in the mountian's you need to be ready and willing to roll these sled's. If your not, mountain riding isn't your deal. These units are heavy and require a certain amount of skill to ride and get unstuck.

Second, in their stock form neither the Viper or the Nytro are well suited for just basic mountain riding when it come's to thing's like laying it on its side or rolling. The oil will leak all over the engine compartment, as you found out or worst get into the air intake system via engine breather and possibly hydraulic the engine. Plus if care isn't taking on start up after a simple lay over, crank and rod damage can happen. 99% of all engine failures on these 1049 4stroke are oil related from a roll and running in an upset position.

The first thing you need to do is install a good TETHER on the sled and WEAR IT.
Then have a oil recovery system installed so when you upset the sled you will not lose your oil. Then once you upright the sled the oil will go back in to the sump.
Your best bet is to talk to Chad at CR racing, he can set you up. These guy's specialize in 4stroke sled's, if your not familiar with the working of these engine i really recommend getting it done by CR racing.
I see your from the Okanagan valley, if you decide to go to a dealer, go to Kelowna Yamaha and have their tech Nick King do it.

Lastly you need to understand the do's and don't with 4strokes, especially after a roll over.

Last edited:

John Cambell

Reaction score
I don't remember posting anything about rolling a nytro recently?

Last edited:

John Cambell

Reaction score
Your the same dude that posted on rolling a Nytro, i think you need to reread that thread. What do you think a Viper is?

Yes corrent ROV valves are no good and will cause more grieve then anything else.

i don't remember about posting about rolling a nytro recently. Maybe a different guy?

John Cambell

Reaction score
First, if your going to ride a Viper or a Nytro in the mountian's you need to be ready and willing to roll these sled's. If your not, mountain riding isn't your deal. These units are heavy and require a certain amount of skill to ride and get unstuck.

Second, in their stock form neither the Viper or the Nytro are well suited for just basic mountain riding when it come's to thing's like laying it on its side or rolling. The oil will leak all over the engine compartment, as you found out or worst get into the air intake system via engine breather and possibly hydraulic the engine. Plus if care isn't taking on start up after a simple lay over, crank and rod damage can happen. 99% of all engine failures on these 1049 4stroke are oil related from a roll and running in an upset position.

The first thing you need to do is install a good TETHER on the sled and WEAR IT.
Then have a oil recovery system installed so when you upset the sled you will not lose your oil. Then once you upright the sled the oil will go back in to the sump.
Your best bet is to talk to Chad at CR racing, he can set you up. These guy's specialize in 4stroke sled's, if your not familiar with the working of these engine i really recommend getting it done by CR racing.
I see your from the Okanagan valley, if you decide to go to a dealer, go to Kelowna Yamaha and have their tech Nick King do it.

Lastly you need to understand the do's and don't with 4strokes, especially after a roll over.

Thanks lund. I do wear a tether. So I have that part down. It shuts off right away.

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks lund. I do wear a tether. So I have that part down. It shuts off right away.

this seems to be a issue with the mpi turbo kits & the viper,have not heard of the other kits having this issue.there is a bunch of guys on snowest with the same issue all with mpi kits.

John Cambell

Reaction score

yes I remember that part. But in that thread they were talking about rolling the sled on purpose. Just to get unstuck. And that is what I was referring to, that it's just my opinion, but I'd rather dig it out than roll it on purpose.

But I do realize that rolling a sled can happen in the mountains. Or rolling it slightly on its side. Pretty much happens a few times per day when riding.

dean_jimmy96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have rolled mine and had a couple drops of oil on the garage floor the next day
Don't these things have a stock roll over ball in the air box ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polaris-orris

Reaction score
I just have a longer hose and stuffed it in the nose before the crossmember on the frame that is infront of the motor and drilled holes so it leaks out there

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just have a longer hose and stuffed it in the nose before the crossmember on the frame that is infront of the motor and drilled holes so it leaks out there

they have a fix for it now just need to get parts from dealer,not sure when available,this is being caused by the oil air separator not draining fast enough,once overfull it comes out the air vent.the mpi kit moves the separator & it must be changing the way it drains back into the tank & not draining fast enough.

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i have been told this issue is being caused by the air separator being back filled from the oil tank,do to relocating the air separator & making the hose longer.if you just block the hose from bottom of separator to oil tank it will fix the problem.if you roll the sled you will still lose oil without a rov valve though.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
MPI has begun supplying parts. Its a complete cure for the MPI situation and shouldn't even need a ROV as the system is 100% Closed loop. Check with your local dealer or MPI directly.
Cheers
RS

Top Bottom