I/O or O/B??????????????

durion

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a family boat. I am stuck, In Board or Out Board engines what is the difference. And what do you all recommend?????

The only thing I have heard so far is that it cost around $500 to winterize and I/O.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
It's all personal opinion.....Personally I much prefer O/B....this way if I blow it up the down time is much less....pick up a new motor and throw it on. With an I/B the boat has to come out, go into a shop, ect...

Like I said just opinion...

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Inboard all day if you are doing alot of watersports, and I/B or really easy to work on you can summerize and winterize yourself.

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a family boat. I am stuck, In Board or Out Board engines what is the difference. And what do you all recommend?????

The only thing I have heard so far is that it cost around $500 to winterize and I/O.

Durion,

I was in the same situation a few years ago. Some of the pro's and con's. Outboard motor will give you more room in the floor plan of the boat you choose, also most O/B weigh in around 500lbs and most I/B are around 1500lbs. I agree the I/B is a automotive engine and is easy to get replacement parts and you can winterize and summerize the I/B yourself. The inboard will give you better gas mileage. One thing to consider is the measurement of the HP rating an O/B let say 150HP thats at the prop, in a I/B motor can be 175HP but at the prop its 145HP. This is for most I/B applications.

Once again it all depends what your doing for watersports. I went with a outboard do in part I waterski and barefoot far more than boarding so I wanted less wake. Most I/B are heavier and have a larger wake which is good for boarding and tubing. If you looking for a hole shot hands down a O/B is the way to go. One other note is you can raise the O/B engine in shallow water, where as an I/B it is not recommended( hard on the drive shafts). One other mention if you purchase a O/B 2 stroke oil will be on the list of inventory. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

The minimum horse power on a typical 18-20 foot boat would 150HP at the prop. The bigger the better. On my 19 foot I have a 225HP and pulling 6 skiers is no problem. Also before you buy take the boat for a test drive.

Tom

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about the new outboards but the old ones were noise the in boards are fairly quite.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got a crestliner with a 150 mercury verado o/b , love it , barely hear it , decent on fuel , lots of power , expensive to service only down fall

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:waterskiing:Have a 18 1/2' larsen with a 130 Johnson on it, it's quiet and decent on fuel, With an O/B you can dock it in shallower areas, well that my two bits.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive had both, both good, all the pros and cons listed above are very true, but being a family boat i prefer the IB more sturdy in rougher water ive found. but any boat is good just to get on the water. ive winterized both and found the outboard easier as i am not hanging upside down trying to undue everything or trying to get to the plugs in the bottom of the exhaust manifold.

i have found that kids dont like boarding near the outboard, maybe something to consider.........

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive had both, both good, all the pros and cons listed above are very true, but being a family boat i prefer the IB more sturdy in rougher water ive found. but any boat is good just to get on the water. ive winterized both and found the outboard easier as i am not hanging upside down trying to undue everything or trying to get to the plugs in the bottom of the exhaust manifold.

i have found that kids dont like boarding near the outboard, maybe something to consider.........

not to disagree with you but like the outboard for the family for the extra room , just try to buy a larger boat for rough water ????

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the inboard as they are generally quieter, kids play on sun deck above motor, easy to winterize, 19-20' will seat 8-10 depending on make, waaaaay longer engine life than a 2-stroke outboard, awsome in rough water, you don't know what you were missing till you have a full width rear swim deck..........bigger wake but to big for smaller children, boat is about 1500# heavier than same size 2stroke outboard, need 190HP to start to have real fun,open it up and watch the fuel guage drop, pricy shop rates for repairs. Personally will not go back to outboard but hey that's just me! Ride both types with friends and rent BOTH before you buy as it is the priciest toy you will ever buy/operate per hour of use, but probably the most enjoyed by the WHOLE family.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
A comment was made about the noise levels on the older 0/B - I have a 1970's 115hp Merc and you can really hear it run. Runs strong but lots of noise.
I think my next boat will be an inboard...no less that a 175 hp.

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It depends on the boat how old/new is it and what type of water sports are you doin. I/B bigger wake and usualy takes a little longer for the boat to plane. I prefer I/B but some of the older boats (79-85) have issues with the leg (stern drive). If its a newer boat with v drive rather then stern drive thats the way to go.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same question last year. I almost went for the o/b until a friend of mines o/b with less then 150 hrs on it had a bad injector and flooded one cylinder causing it to hydrolic breaking a ring. The price of the power head is more then the boat is worth.(repair or new) I bought a Moomba with a 5.7 car motor in it. Easy to winter and repair. The talk of rough water/wake/room has nothing to do with I/B or O/B that is all the style of boat.

durion

Reaction score
I went looking today??? I looked at Campion, larson, bayliner, and glasron!!!!

I am leaning towards the Bayliner 185 flight series, with a 4.3 Merc. I like the space the bayliner I/O has compared to the other simular boats with the I/O. I get what people are saying about the diving deck now. It does look like it makes a world of difference.

Any suggestions I'll take them.

One question that I had in my head all day is...........Merc or Volvo. I was told Volvo parts are alittle more pricy and it is alittle harder to winterize yourself. The 4.3 on the Bayliner was easy to get at everything a user would need to get at.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went looking today??? I looked at Campion, larson, bayliner, and glasron!!!!

I am leaning towards the Bayliner 185 flight series, with a 4.3 Merc. I like the space the bayliner I/O has compared to the other simular boats with the I/O. I get what people are saying about the diving deck now. It does look like it makes a world of difference.

Any suggestions I'll take them.

One question that I had in my head all day is...........Merc or Volvo. I was told Volvo parts are alittle more pricy and it is alittle harder to winterize yourself. The 4.3 on the Bayliner was easy to get at everything a user would need to get at.

I prefer Volvo I think it is a better drive. winterizing is easy and the drives are bullet proof.

Top Bottom