Backup generator for home

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to put in in a shed just cause. Works fine outside in the cold.
Get the exhaust vent kit that I posted above, took me about 30 minutes to install my kit. Thing sounds like a tractor on the outside when it's running........lol.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the exhaust vent kit that I posted above, took me about 30 minutes to install my kit. Thing sounds like a tractor on the outside when it's running........lol.

Ya i will. I wonder if it would be quieter if a guy put a small car muffler on it

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats why I got this one, cause of the tri fuel. 1200$ at home depot. 8kw continuous E start.

I think tri is the way to go if you have nat gas, but be aware it significantly derates the output. 8k on gasoline is only 5.5k on nat gas.

Ya i will. I wonder if it would be quieter if a guy put a small car muffler on it

Several YouTube videos of people doing this. mixed results.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You really just need to ensure what ever you’re using is 60hz output. A standard generator runs at 1800 or 3600 rpm to achieve 60hz where an inverter will output 60hz at any RPM. When using any generator it’s best to let it stabilize before switching in the output power. It’s when you get into inverters using batteries to generate AC is where you can have issues. Cheap inverters run a modified sign wave which can damage some electronics. Always look for pure sign wave if running computers or tv’s
I have heard that this can be an issue with todays sensitive TV's, computers and even appliances....it looks like Generac generators are safe for household electronics

Copied from Generac's website:

Are Generac Home Standby Generators Safe to Power Sensitive Electronics?

Jan 5, 2024•Knowledge

Yes, Generac's home standby generators output a low (under 5%) Total Harmonic Distortion "Pure Sine Wave", which is considered to be power with a THD of less than 6%. This can safely power sensitive electronics. See the What Is Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)? article for more information.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have been eyeing up a Generac GP2500i for a while... I should pull the trigger... I got a diesel heater now for emergencies but a guy needs power...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think tri is the way to go if you have nat gas, but be aware it significantly derates the output. 8k on gasoline is only 5.5k on nat gas.

Several YouTube videos of people doing this. mixed results.

Yup less output on NG. NG would be for an extended black out, so you wouldnt have to fill up tge tank, and youd have to cut back on what you are using.

For a few hours of even a couple days, gas would be the go to fuel choice due to the increased output

I was joking with my brother, that maybe i could get 12000 watts out of it on c12.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would any of the hybrid trucks with a power outlet have enough power to run just the furnace or could it fry the board.

Top Bottom