Diesel Vs Gas 2500/3500

Adam31

Reaction score
I’ve only noticed my 2017 duramax regent once in 29,000k so unless I’m oblivious not much to worry about

My 2017 only did one "big one" too over 20k and it did give a message to continue driving. I think it does smaller ones every couple thousand km because I noticed fuel economy and smell.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2017 only did one "big one" too over 20k and it did give a message to continue driving. I think it does smaller ones every couple thousand km because I noticed fuel economy and smell.
"Big ones" mean you haven't generally been up to high enough EGT temps or let the thing run long enough to burn the DPF clean and it will give you a message to drive the thing until it is clean. This would be rare, unless you are doing small commutes. I have never seen that. But definitely, they are cleaning themselves regularly, every tank of fuel or so, depending on driving conditions.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with people about the diesel having more power and a lot better to tow with and the regular maintenance is not that much more but the main reason why I started looking at switching to a gas engine is I don’t need a brand new truck for how little I use them. And with how expensive diesels are to fix with there fuel system I would never own one off warranty. I have had a lot of buddies who have replaced injectors and head gaskets that costed close to what a whole new gas engine would cost to put it in. And I would be more hesitant to buy a used diesel then a gas engine due to not knowing how it was treated and what kind of fuel he ran through it. Gas engines are a lot less prone to issues due to user abuse

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with people about the diesel having more power and a lot better to tow with and the regular maintenance is not that much more but the main reason why I started looking at switching to a gas engine is I don’t need a brand new truck for how little I use them. And with how expensive diesels are to fix with there fuel system I would never own one off warranty. I have had a lot of buddies who have replaced injectors and head gaskets that costed close to what a whole new gas engine would cost to put it in. And I would be more hesitant to buy a used diesel then a gas engine due to not knowing how it was treated and what kind of fuel he ran through it. Gas engines are a lot less prone to issues due to user abuse

I think you already answered your own question....
Purchase a truck based on YOUR lifestyle.

You may have picked the wrong site for getting an unbiased answer.......
Too many guys on here with strong opinions that quickly label others as stupid if you don't do as they do.

Everyone knows that a diesel has more power and more torque and the trucks are heavier and the drivetrain is heavier and the brakes are better, etc, etc.........and if you are pulling heavy loads "often", its a no-brainer type of decision....you need it. But not everyone does this and many guys with big heavy pullers don't seem to comprehend that.

There are many drivers (me included) who seldom pull loads and mainly use their truck like a car.....just to drive. Does a diesel make sense for most of these guys? Possibly not needed for most applications.

I drive about 100,000 km per year. I pull my 3 place enclosed trailer on maybe 3 or 4 long trips per year...plus a few short trips around home. I pull the odd piece of farm equipment once in a while. Do I wish I had a diesel when I am pulling those loads? Hell yah! Does my gasser get the job done? Absolutely. Just drive within the limits of the truck.

I've penciled out many times if a diesel would work for me....the extra costs, the fuel economy, the benefits and the drawbacks. A diesel doesn't make fiscal sense for my needs. Plus I don't have to worry about cold weather issues....no fuel additives, no stink, high cost of repairs like you mentioned is a big factor for me too, etc.....I just get in and drive. Hell, my daily driver has over 407,000 km....and its even a 1/2 ton...GMC 1500 with a 6.2L. (so maybe I don't even qualify to comment on this thread).

My point being, analyze what YOU are doing with it. Decide based on YOUR needs...(my needs are met with a 1/2 ton). Don't pull beyond what the truck is designed for but don't be afraid to pull to its maximum ability once in a while either. Also, know that you're not going to break speed records while pulling with a gasser and when you are pulling, you won't have the range of a diesel. Fuel economy will be poorer while pulling too.

Filter out those "gotta have a diesel guys" and maybe filter out guys like me at the other end of that spectrum.....buy a unit based on your needs and uses.

Good luck with your purchase.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Assuming 3oil changes a year, that’s 39L for a diesel, 21 for the gasser. Filters $7 each for gas, $18 for diesel each. Fuel filters $45 diesel, 0 gas. DEF, fuel conditioner $40+ diesel, 0 gas. Depending on how much fuel conditioner you use, that number can go up quite a bit. Diesel trucks need front end and brake work sooner as well, particularly if you drive a Fiat. Long term the diesel has much higher costs to operate. Eventually the cats ina gasser and the DPF in a diesel will need replacement. Way more in a diesel as well

My fiat is at 100,000km nothing touched in the front end, not even close. Will see 150,000km on brakes easy. Who uses fuel conditioner? Waste of money. What about spark plugs? That’s not a small bill. Exhaust fluid is about $10 every 7,500km, if that breaks the bank, you probably shouldn’t be buying a new vehicle.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Are they modding them? If someone is running a tuner, etc and driving the chit out of a diesel they have no right to complain if it breaks. If you treat it properly, even with poor maintaince most diesel engines go 300,000-500,000km with little to no work. The way some people talk about being scared of repairs on a diesel is insane, the ones with problems are very few, a gas has as good if not higher chance of issues, and at much lower mileage.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If a few fuel filters and extra oil is even considered when purchasing a new truck, seek professional help, you are way too cheap. Anyone buying an 80k truck shouldn't give two sh1ts about that crap. Bust out the spread sheet boys, lmao, love this forum.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are they modding them? If someone is running a tuner, etc and driving the chit out of a diesel they have no right to complain if it breaks. If you treat it properly, even with poor maintaince most diesel engines go 300,000-500,000km with little to no work. The way some people talk about being scared of repairs on a diesel is insane, the ones with problems are very few, a gas has as good if not higher chance of issues, and at much lower mileage.

None of these new Diesels will run the 300-500 like you are saying without some major coin in repairs .
Sorry but the emission crap kills them and requires maintenance.
EGR cleaning , urea pumps,DPF replacement and so on .
I have both and the gas is cheaper to run but I don’t hardly pull anything with it as have the Dmax for that .
2016 f150 eco still have, daily driver
2012 Dmax still have , great truck
2013 6.2 gmc sold great truck
2014 6.2 gmc sold great truck
Just a few over the last few years .

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If a few fuel filters and extra oil is even considered when purchasing a new truck, seek professional help, you are way too cheap. Anyone buying an 80k truck shouldn't give two sh1ts about that crap. Bust out the spread sheet boys, lmao, love this forum.

So if someone has a different opinion than you, you feel the need to start with the insults. Nice.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

All it takes is one bad tank of fuel in the newer diesels to destroy your fuel system. And most injectors are 800-1000$ for one. Never mind the price of fuel pumps in the Duramax and power stroke

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do a search on the net for Diesel engine problems. There’s a pile of people that have had problems, way more than with gas engines. And the longer you run them the greater the likelihood you will have problems. The hard parts of the engine aren’t the problem, it’s all the emissions, fuel injection, sensors and control systems that fail, usually at high costs.
If you trade your trucks off every few years you’re probably gonna be ok. If you’re like me and keep your truck for a long time, it’s an expensive gamble. Every vehicle needs maintenance and repair over time, and the new diesels are grossly expensive to repair.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All it takes is one bad tank of fuel in the newer diesels to destroy your fuel system. And most injectors are 800-1000$ for one. Never mind the price of fuel pumps in the Duramax and power stroke
If your fuel pump grenades into the injectors on a Duramax you're looking at a $12,000 fix

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your fuel pump grenades into the injectors on a Duramax you're looking at a $12,000 fix
And you think that's common??

Not saying it doesn't, but come on. How many fuel pumps don't fail? They don't all magically grenade.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And you think that's common??

Not saying it doesn't, but come on. How many fuel pumps don't fail? They don't all magically grenade.
If they all magically grenaded the Duramax would be no more. But it does happen and when it does and you're out of warranty you are screwed. I can't even think of a single fix on a gas engine that would cost that much money

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn with the 6.4 Hemi. I now have 174,000 km and its been great truck. I pull a 38 foot holiday trailer, roughly 11,800 lbs loaded and it pulls it pretty good. gets around 28-29 l/100km. Hills are fine, just need to run in 3rd gear at 4000 rpm! I find running premium fuel when town makes a big difference with the torque and HP. Empty i average 17.4 L/100km combined city and highway. If its just highway ill get around 14.5-14.8 L/100km.
When i run to Valmount or Revy with 2 sleds on the deck, i get about 21L/km. I bought the truck used with 42,000km and $41,800 for it 3 years ago.
I can buy 10L of castol Synthetic 0W-40 for $67. Each oil change is 6.6 litres or 7 quarts. the Oil filter for synthetic is $12.98 at Canadian tire. So, an oil change is only $58. I change the oil every 10,000 km with synthetic. I use a K&N air filter thats reusable and was only slightly more then the stock paper filter.
My friend has a 2012 3500 Limited and when we are pulling his 4 place with 4 sleds, tools, gear, etc, he gets 28L/100km. Yes it pulls it easy put it is only a little better on fuel. Im sure empty would be a different story.
I only tow my holiday trailer 6-7 times a year and we down go far, so i couldn't justify the cost of the diesel.
Thats my 2 cents.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be more worried about perfect engine air filtration than fuel in a diesel boys. You will dust a diesel far more easily than take out the fuel system. Assuming you do regular fuel filter changes and don't buy diesel from the reserves.

KN air filters are diesel killers. Always make sure your intake tubes have no leaks and the air filter is in good shape.

i have 230k km on my duramax it runs like it's brand new and has 20k lbs behind it everyday, all summer. My 6.0 gas gmc, 230k km runs good still, burns some oil and burns fuel like CRAZY with a trailer behind it.

If you're making spreadsheets and 13 page Internet forum threads in order to buy a diesel, I don't think it's the truck for you. Diesel trucks are built to work, they aren't pleasure, transportation vehicles. If you're towing heavy, get a diesel, if you're putting around town, buy a gas.

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have to go on a forum and ask if you should buy gas or diesel, you dont deserve a diesel.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have to go on a forum and ask if you should buy gas or diesel, you dont deserve a diesel.

Hmmm. Little condescending don't ya think. If you actually took the time to read the original post he was asking about the towing capabilities of a heavy duty truck with a gas engine. Heavens forbid somone actually asks for someone's opinion based on experience to make a better more informed decision. Who better to ask than people that might actually use or own said vehicle. Thanks for contributing........

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned diesels for years Dodge Chevy and Ford. I can very easily afford them but I'm still looking at going to a Gasser which is why I'm following this thread. I sold my holiday trailer and I only tow about ten to eleven thousand pounds once every week or two. Sometimes I go a month without towing anything. Honestly, if I don't need a diesel I won't own one because they are much more finicky than any gas truck I've ever owned. Thanks Stompin Tom for a very constructive post.

Top Bottom