Carbon tax

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heat a 2000 sq foot home in Sicamous on a heat pump. Works great down to minus 15c. Electric trace heating in slab of shop, 15 Kw electric toaster in air handler for back up to heat pump, electric hot water tank and all cooking and my bill is 327 per month. Works in this environment where it doesn't get too cold and when below minus 15c is usually only a few hour per night.

That will not work in Alberta or Atlantic Canada. Most retrofits in Atlantic Canada will be one of those shitty little minisplits. Those people are in for a rude awakening.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, i looked into heat pumps about 10yrs ago after being out at my inlaws place in NS. They have a mini split and works good for them but they rarely see -15C. Wont work in colder environments, especially prolonged cold.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heat a 2000 sq foot home in Sicamous on a heat pump. Works great down to minus 15c. Electric trace heating in slab of shop, 15 Kw electric toaster in air handler for back up to heat pump, electric hot water tank and all cooking and my bill is 327 per month. Works in this environment where it doesn't get too cold and when below minus 15c is usually only a few hour per night.

That will not work in Alberta or Atlantic Canada. Most retrofits in Atlantic Canada will be one of those shitty little minisplits. Those people are in for a rude awakening.
I installed a heat pump a few years back to replace a wood oil combination furnace . Very happy with it and it works fine in Revelstoke other than past -15 or so ,then it’s on to the electric furnace . We don’t get much of the -15 and lower temps here though . Overall a large saving after install over oil and wood but I did have to upgrade the panel to 200 amp service. Bonus for the AC. In summer also

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet the overall net carbon is higher with a heat pump because many did not cool their homes before getting a heat pump and with it they run the AC in the summer time.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet the overall net carbon is higher with a heat pump because many did not cool their homes before getting a heat pump and with it they run the AC in the summer time.
Very little electric consumption for ac in the summer , I’m all electric , stove , fridge , HWT and bills are about 150 every two months in the summer

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yes, a big difference where the winters aren’t so cold for long periods of time. Following along with the information that bobsledder provided....

1650 sq.ft. and a sometimes electric heated garage, Air conditioning, electric indoor sauna, electric kitchen appliances (stove, microwave, dish washer, fridge), and electric washer and dryer. Furnace, hot water, fireplace, and BBQ (which I use 3-5 times a week) are on NG.
Last year (Jan 1/22 - Dec 31/22), BCHydro was $762.77 and FortisBC (NG) was $1879.78 (including Carbon Tax) for a monthly cost of $220.21.
Carbon tax isn’t laid out on the Hydro billing but on the Fortis bill I paid $36.00’month Carbon Tax.

It may take a long time to recoup the cost of a heat pump but to be honest, I haven’t done the math on an install.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very little electric consumption for ac in the summer , I’m all electric , stove , fridge , HWT and bills are about 150 every two months in the summer
I have one in my BC house. I know it uses more electricity in the summer than winter but I have gas that kicks in for secondary heat.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, a big difference where the winters aren’t so cold for long periods of time. Following along with the information that bobsledder provided....

1650 sq.ft. and a sometimes electric heated garage, Air conditioning, electric indoor sauna, electric kitchen appliances (stove, microwave, dish washer, fridge), and electric washer and dryer. Furnace, hot water, fireplace, and BBQ (which I use 3-5 times a week) are on NG.
Last year (Jan 1/22 - Dec 31/22), BCHydro was $762.77 and FortisBC (NG) was $1879.78 (including Carbon Tax) for a monthly cost of $220.21.
Carbon tax isn’t laid out on the Hydro billing but on the Fortis bill I paid $36.00’month Carbon Tax.

It may take a long time to recoup the cost of a heat pump but to be honest, I haven’t done the math on an install.
Forgot I also run a hot tub 24/7

Cheaper if you have gas for alternate source for sure but we don't have NG here. Install for heating system, air handler, Heat pump and all duct work was about 18K on my build if I remember correctly. It was 8k over just an electric furnace and gets us AC as well so was worth it but if NG was an option would have put in a boiler.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forgot I also run a hot tub 24/7

Cheaper if you have gas for alternate source for sure but we don't have NG here. Install for heating system, air handler, Heat pump and all duct work was about 18K on my build if I remember correctly. It was 8k over just an electric furnace and gets us AC as well so was worth it but if NG was an option would have put in a boiler.
Don't forget heat pumps only work to about -7 , after that they can not warm enough ( the core frosts over and has no air flow to do condensation)

The shu isn't as big of deal , but anywhere else in b.c , and east

They will never work right

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

As I posted on bobs post

The shu is 50-50 on it working all year no issues

Anything past -7 , the core frosts over and has no air flow to condense

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Top Bottom