any one have a f150 ecoboost?

Moose

Reaction score
thinkin about buying one. i heard the mileage is awesome. and the dealer is telling me that i can tow a trailer that weighs 11300lbs. just wondering if anyone that has one is pulling a trailer this big cause i have a 31ft bumper pull that weights 7500lbs emtpy and has a gvwr of 11050lb. if its not gonna handle my trailer then i am pretty much wasting my money. any info wuld be awesome thanx

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes towing that heavy of a trailer i would probably lean towards a diesel if your pulling it lots.
as for the mileage hype that ford puts out, they can get bent lol, we demoed an eco bosot for three days before the wife got here new truck. mileage was a bit better than my 09 5.4 but when we ran it against the new 5.0 mileage was very nearthe same, and i didn't even notice the power difference. if only pulling the trailer once in a while either engine in the f150 will be good, i have towed up to 15 000lbs full vehicle weight with my 09 without a problem and the new ones kick it azz for power and torque.
fords ability to tow haul is all and more than the sales guys talk up but the v6 mileage is all smoke and mirrors if you make X horsepower you have to burn y fuel thats is just the way it is.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like magnet said, if your towing it once in a while you'll be fine but if your using your trailer a lot you should look for a 3/4 ton. My parents used to pull a 11,000 pound bumper pull with their toyota tundra without any lack of power but that half ton is easily influenced by the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James06

Reaction score
I had an '05 F150 and towed my 7000 lbs trailer. It struggled on the large hills. My brother just bought the new eco boost one and I tried it pulling his trailer which weighs about the same as mine. I was quite surprised how much better the newer truck was; it never struggled at all, had loads of power and was a really nice ride. Your trailer seems to be quite a bit heavier though so I would be a little cautious. I would also be concerned that this engine has really not proven itself over the years yet (especially pulling). I ended up buying an '09 F350 and love it. Buy a diesel and then you will never have to worry. FYI when you are pulling, it doesn't matter what you buy, most times the mileage is always going to be quite a bit less.

Moose

Reaction score
i guess i should add that in not concerned about the mileage when pulling my trailer, if i do buy this truck it cuz i am going checking wells and want something half decent on fuel. As for the 5.0l compared to the ecoboost im sure the milage and power are very similar but the 5.0l is only rated for 10000lbs. i would love nothing more than to buy a new 6.7l but last time i checked i havent won the lottery lately lol. i had a 06 supercrew and loved it and from what i hear these new ones are 100 times better. also my trailer is a camper so 6 or 7 times in the summer and prob the farthest will be couple hrs im thinking. so im still on the fence on what to do but just wanted some opinions and what u guys have done with urs

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i guess i should add that in not concerned about the mileage when pulling my trailer, if i do buy this truck it cuz i am going checking wells and want something half decent on fuel. As for the 5.0l compared to the ecoboost im sure the milage and power are very similar but the 5.0l is only rated for 10000lbs. i would love nothing more than to buy a new 6.7l but last time i checked i havent won the lottery lately lol. i had a 06 supercrew and loved it and from what i hear these new ones are 100 times better. also my trailer is a camper so 6 or 7 times in the summer and prob the farthest will be couple hrs im thinking. so im still on the fence on what to do but just wanted some opinions and what u guys have done with urs

sounds good, tough decision, we did notice though that the 5.0 was allot quiter than the eco boost as well the exhaust sounds really nice right from the factory. as for real worl mileage on the highway the wife can get hers to 10 Lp/100km in town about 13 or so. eco was a bit better but less than 1/2lp 100k. like i said the 5.0 was quiter but also the 5.0 had 4000km the eco had 10000 so could be a bit of the diffference there as well. either way when i was looking at upgrading my 09 to a 1 ton Ford is definitly the truck leader imo. nice interior smooth ride and good power to mileage ratio.
was looking at dodge for the cummins buit couldn't get past the fugly interior. jmo.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you make X horsepower you have to burn y fuel thats is just the way it is.

Mmm maybe at WOT throttle but there are other factors at play. If you can keep the ecoboost out of the boost it will get much better mileage than if it is having to inject a lot more fuel to compensate for the air the turbos are jamming into it. I find it hard to believe the ecoboost and 5.0 would get such similar mileage if they were both driven easily.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Eco with the max tow (11,200 lbs tow capacity). I occasionally tow a 27 f enclosed sled trailer (7,000 lbs gvwr) and it does it very well. Most of the time I'm using my truck to commute. The eco engine is extremely capable to pull almost any load, but it is still in a half ton and that's the issue. Keep in mind that the tow rating accounts for a driver and a full tank of fuel. More passengers and gear will reduce the weight of what you can tow, so if your pushing the limit look at a 3/4 ton.

As for mileage, empty, extremely light on the pedal, and keeping the speed down, you can get some very decent mileage. Moving a load requires the same amount of energy whether your using a V8 or V6. Because the Eco has the capability of a V8, don't expect mileage that is much better than a V8 if your working the Eco hard. However the performance of the Eco will put a smile on your face.

Moose

Reaction score
well i guess im gonna find out for myself, haha. i pick it up today couldn't turn down the deal i got

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
love my 2011 ecoboost. Have the FX4 with the max tow package. Only have 2500 km on it so not getting great milege out of it but still better then my 04 5.4l. Nothing puts a smile on your face more then when the turbos spool up and suck you into the seat. I find it very quiet. Alot of times I can't even here it running.

Moose

Reaction score
well so far so good. hard to believe its v6

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was sledding in Fernie this weekend. Nothing like cruising down the highway, pulling a 27 foot enclosed, at 1600-1700 rpm, with a 3.5L V6. On the bigger hills it shifted down to 5th at 2100 rpm. On one steep hill it shifted down to 4th at 3000 rpm. Always held to 100 km/h. I could have accelerated up the hills if I wanted to. Awesome listening the air rush through those turbos when it's pulling hard.:cool:

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ordered one for the wife in nov and picking it up tomorrow, Can't wait to get it.

Jeremy10

Reaction score
I have two 2011 Ecoboosts for work trucks one with 17 000 Km and 6 000 Km The all around milage is about 16L/100Km Loaded with Spacekap tool box and ladders on top. They have the heavy duty GVW and tow packages. My 3/4 ton trucks need air bags to keep them level but the f150s don't. I have had no problems with them and plan to buy a third one next year.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the max tow but not the heavy duty GVW. Mine squats a bit in the back when I have my enclosed trailer hitched up, so I'm going to be putting in air bags in. That is really the only issue I have.

Top Bottom