High milage ecoboost

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I'll tell YOU what. You keep doing what you're doing. You're obviously proud of how you conduct business. Post your business name here and let the members decide if they want to support you. You can "fix" a coolant leak using bars leak or coffee grounds too. There's a difference between a "fix" and a proper repair. Mechanics,technicians, fixers. There's lots of superb guys that work on machinery every day that work hard to overcome the mistrust caused by the bad ones.

You're absolutely right. I'm VERY proud to save my customers money, and have them NEVER come back again for the same problem, and we get hundreds of NEW customers via referral every year because of it.

When you wanna bring your truck in for unnecessary "proper repairs", I'll do that for you too. You won't get the cheap fix tho, that has NEVER come back to me. Not even one time.

Robin's Automotive
261 Kaska Road
Sherwood Park
780-467-6006

Ask for Chris. :)

Oh.... And for the record..... Every customer that I've done this for has been given the expensive "proper repair" (as you call it) option, and not a single one has taken that option.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. I'm VERY proud to save my customers money, and have them NEVER come back again for the same problem, and we get hundreds of NEW customers via referral every year because of it.

When you wanna bring your truck in for unnecessary "proper repairs", I'll do that for you too. You won't get the cheap fix tho, that has NEVER come back to me. Not even one time.

Robin's Automotive
261 Kaska Road
Sherwood Park
780-467-6006

Ask for Chris. :)

Oh.... And for the record..... Every customer that I've done this for has been given the expensive "proper repair" (as you call it) option, and not a single one has taken that option.[/QUOT

its obviously working for you so far. I imagine that these problems are a small percentage of your business. Using heavy oil to "fix" problems have never been a reliable repair for most.
And there's no danger of me doing business with you. But thanks.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a lot more to lubricating oil than just the viscosity. Film strength, cold flow characteristics, high temperature viscosity stability etc all play a big factor in how well an oil protects. The difference in visible thickness at operating temperature is nonexistent. Modern engines like the eco boost don't need heavier oils like the older engines did. Machining tolerances in newer engines are tighter than engines even a generation ago. The oil needs to flow quicker throughout the engine and back to the pan and through the oil cooler. Most newer engines have piston cooling jets that allow higher power output from smaller engines. A side effect of this can be higher oil temperatures requiring higher oil flows through the system to keep it cool. Just because an oil is heavier doesn't mean it protects better. 5w20 oil is more than adequate to protect an engine that specs it's use. The engineers that determine these things do so for a reason. Lubrication is one area of science that has greatly benefited from modern science. Engines are working harder and lasting as long or longer than ever. That's no accident.
Wow, ur a blind - deaf winner aren't ya

There so many engines out there that burn oil ( but don't really burn oil) that all it takes is to increase the viscosity numbers

No matter what u think, 5w20 is piss water right off the get go...... Up the oil one grade and bam... Fixes lots

U haven't seen these new engine's and there sh!tty bicycle timing chains they use now, and how lack of services and this crap oil, can and does get chains ect no good in 30000 km

But u know all, I can tell

zenk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have 100,000 on my 2013 eco boost fx4. i am not easy on it at all.
i have replaced plugs once that is all.
i am running 35" tires and am getting 16l/100km in city.
i have also been running a tune since 30,000 km
pulls great. i have had friends that run tundras and rams that say mine pulls better and rides better.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree, the truck pulls like a champ, that's one thing I can't complain about is the towing I think I got a bit of a lemon though, first gen and all. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, my brother in law has a newer one, and all of our pilot trucks are f-150's and they don't have the issues that I had, so I feel confident in the newer models. My .02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 130000 on my 2012 plug change only average fuel 16/100 km. Bought the 15 and a seems to pull harder than the 12 so far average 11km/100 .

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, ur a blind - deaf winner aren't ya

There so many engines out there that burn oil ( but don't really burn oil) that all it takes is to increase the viscosity numbers

No matter what u think, 5w20 is piss water right off the get go...... Up the oil one grade and bam... Fixes lots

U haven't seen these new engine's and there sh!tty bicycle timing chains they use now, and how lack of services and this crap oil, can and does get chains ect no good in 30000 km

But u know all, I can tell

My my response is based on science. And the fact that the vast majority of the literally hundreds of thousands of engines built in the last few years that spec 5w20 are still running strong and not needing timing chains at 30K. What an idiotic thing to say.
go to bob is the oil guy site and attempt to educate yourself. If you can make the effort to absorb some knowledge instead of simply mimicking others. I know enough to inform myself with information based on the facts that are readily available

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And for the record, we're called technicians now. Not mechanics.

My 1999 Heavy Duty Journeyman license says right on it "Heavy Equipment Technician, and it stated this also when I sighed up for the apprenticeship program in 1993.

Must have been a late change for automotive :dunno:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
My 1999 Heavy Duty Journeyman license says right on it "Heavy Equipment Technician, and it stated this also when I sighed up for the apprenticeship program in 1993.

Must have been a late change for automotive :dunno:

Started my apprenticeship in 1994, and I think they were just changing over either that year, or the year before from "Motor Mechanic". License from 1997 says Automotive Service Technician.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 2013 with 60000kms which is not obviously high mileage, however no problems as of yet.

Top Bottom