High milage ecoboost

Billydozer56

Reaction score
guessing this has been done but

The ecoboost 3.5 has been out for 5 years now, How many km's do you have on yours and any problems? do you regret buying one? are the kinks worked out?

I can do a search no problem, but would like to know how they hold up in the Alberta, BC and Saskabush conditions. Mountains, -30 to +30 weather, pulling trailers and so on.

Cheers

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not much on mine for mileage but there an old thread on here where one guy is a major fleet manager and they were having no issues up to 140k km.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of our sales guys has a 2011 with 200,000 kms. Spark plugs and a mass air flow sensor.
Getting codes now for cat. Haven't looked into that one yet. All in all pretty good.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
One of the fleets we maintain, as 1 eco boost with 250000+ on it.... Normal maintenance, oil pressure sensor, mass airflow sensor, and looking like oil pan gasket &/or front crank seal leaking... Not bad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HILCLMR

Reaction score
Father in law and brother in law both running 2011's, both trucks got timing chains, one was covered one not. Both trucks never got good mileage either.
Seems Ford has issues with timing chains. Even the 5.4's were notorious for that.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Father in law and brother in law both running 2011's, both trucks got timing chains, one was covered one not. Both trucks never got good mileage either.
Seems Ford has issues with timing chains. Even the 5.4's were notorious for that.

The 5.4's were VERY bad for it. Easy fix is to get rid of that chit 5w20 oil tho. Fill er up with 15w40 and never have another timing chain rattle again.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a pilot truck company that comes in and has all ecoboosts, i think one has over 400 000 km and just normal maintenance and a throttle body that i could see.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 5.4's were VERY bad for it. Easy fix is to get rid of that chit 5w20 oil tho. Fill er up with 15w40 and never have another timing chain rattle again.

It's not the timing chain that causes that noise, it's the cam phaser.
Changing the vct solenoid can also stop that noise.

As for the ecoboost google cold engine misfire. Only fix right now is a head change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes any of these new ones, as soon as it's off warranty or even before, put thicker oil in it

0 or 5 w 20 is like piss before it even gets warm, can u imagine pulling a trailer, the lack of oil barrier

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an '11 ( first generation of this engine) with 145000 km's. It goes through plugs, coils and boots pretty steady. Climate control had to have the mixer motor replaced, they pull the seats and the complete dash out of the truck to get at that. Had a manifold bolt break. The back up sensors, harness and camera have all been replaced. Stereo head unit has been replaced. I do notice that the engine isn't as strong towing through the hills as it once was, hills where it would pull without shifting, now on the same hills with the same load it will drop 1 -2 gears to pull it. Other than that, it's been a good truck

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was paying for the repairs, then yeah, I would have knocked it in the head a long time ago, but it's a company truck. I was going to turn it in this spring when the '15's came out, but the company isn't getting any loaded up ones until it picks up again, so I'm going to hang on to this one for as long as I can since it has all the bells and whistles.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
know a couple guys that have them don't know mileage on them both pull newer holiday trailers 28-30' if you use it as a car best vehicle ever use it as a truck couldn't pull a drunk hobo off a chitter

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes any of these new ones, as soon as it's off warranty or even before, put thicker oil in it

0 or 5 w 20 is like piss before it even gets warm, can u imagine pulling a trailer, the lack of oil barrier

There's a lot more to lubricating oil than just the viscosity. Film strength, cold flow characteristics, high temperature viscosity stability etc all play a big factor in how well an oil protects. The difference in visible thickness at operating temperature is nonexistent. Modern engines like the eco boost don't need heavier oils like the older engines did. Machining tolerances in newer engines are tighter than engines even a generation ago. The oil needs to flow quicker throughout the engine and back to the pan and through the oil cooler. Most newer engines have piston cooling jets that allow higher power output from smaller engines. A side effect of this can be higher oil temperatures requiring higher oil flows through the system to keep it cool. Just because an oil is heavier doesn't mean it protects better. 5w20 oil is more than adequate to protect an engine that specs it's use. The engineers that determine these things do so for a reason. Lubrication is one area of science that has greatly benefited from modern science. Engines are working harder and lasting as long or longer than ever. That's no accident.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
There's a lot more to lubricating oil than just the viscosity. Film strength, cold flow characteristics, high temperature viscosity stability etc all play a big factor in how well an oil protects. The difference in visible thickness at operating temperature is nonexistent. Modern engines like the eco boost don't need heavier oils like the older engines did. Machining tolerances in newer engines are tighter than engines even a generation ago. The oil needs to flow quicker throughout the engine and back to the pan and through the oil cooler. Most newer engines have piston cooling jets that allow higher power output from smaller engines. A side effect of this can be higher oil temperatures requiring higher oil flows through the system to keep it cool. Just because an oil is heavier doesn't mean it protects better. 5w20 oil is more than adequate to protect an engine that specs it's use. The engineers that determine these things do so for a reason. Lubrication is one area of science that has greatly benefited from modern science. Engines are working harder and lasting as long or longer than ever. That's no accident.

I'll keep "fixing" Triton 5.4L with 15w40. And stop the Chryslers from burning oil by stepping up the weight also. But thanks for the oil lesson.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll keep "fixing" Triton 5.4L with 15w40. And stop the Chryslers from burning oil by stepping up the weight also. But thanks for the oil lesson.

You sound like the shady mechanics that hide problems instead of fixing them properly. Sawdust in a noisy rear end works too to stop gear noise but I'm sure you know that one too. Let us know who you work for so we can steer clear!

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
know a couple guys that have them don't know mileage on them both pull newer holiday trailers 28-30' if you use it as a car best vehicle ever use it as a truck couldn't pull a drunk hobo off a chitter
420lbs of torque is almost class leading I sure that will pull just fine

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
You sound like the shady mechanics that hide problems instead of fixing them properly. Sawdust in a noisy rear end works too to stop gear noise but I'm sure you know that one too. Let us know who you work for so we can steer clear!

Nah. I don't hide them. I just tell the owners that it's not a problem until it becomes a much bigger problem, so I can rape em big time!!

I'm pretty sure there's not a single person in here that would rather spend a thousand dollars or more on cam phasers and or timing chains and guides than an 80 dollar oil change. Or rebuilding their engine to stop the oil burning rather than changing to some 10w30.

Tell ya what. I'll let all my customers know that you're the man to see when they have too much money in their pocket and they need something to do with it rather than burning it in their fireplace to roast marshmallows over.

And for the record, we're called technicians now. Not mechanics.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nah. I don't hide them. I just tell the owners that it's not a problem until it becomes a much bigger problem, so I can rape em big time!!

I'm pretty sure there's not a single person in here that would rather spend a thousand dollars or more on cam phasers and or timing chains and guides than an 80 dollar oil change. Or rebuilding their engine to stop the oil burning rather than changing to some 10w30.

Tell ya what. I'll let all my customers know that you're the man to see when they have too much money in their pocket and they need something to do with it rather than burning it in their fireplace to roast marshmallows over.

And for the record, we're called technicians now. Not mechanics.

I'll tell YOU what. You keep doing what you're doing. You're obviously proud of how you conduct business. Post your business name here and let the members decide if they want to support you. You can "fix" a coolant leak using bars leak or coffee grounds too. There's a difference between a "fix" and a proper repair. Mechanics,technicians, fixers. There's lots of superb guys that work on machinery every day that work hard to overcome the mistrust caused by the bad ones.

Top Bottom