Having trouble deciding on sled purchase ?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't comment on the Sidewinder, and if that is the type of sled you feel you would enjoy for tree riding vs a Cat or your previous Doo's then have at it but $14000 plus tax for a 18 Cat sounds about $2500-3000 high for a left over in stock sled.

If you can find me a new 2018 162 mountain cat for 11k I will buy it tomorrow.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can find me a new 2018 162 mountain cat for 11k I will buy it tomorrow.

I don’t know what makes a Cat a mountain cat vs any other cat but I know I saw 18 Cats listed for $11000+ in the fall. Rebates right now may not be as good? I walked out the door with my 18 Pro, $11200. There were 18 G4’s few a couple hundred more.

Here’s a Cat, $11795? https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile/...ro/1403767944?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

With the superior negotiator skills the guys have on here they should be able to knock several hundred off that price for you.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t know what makes a Cat a mountain cat vs any other cat but I know I saw 18 Cats listed for $11000+ in the fall. Rebates right now may not be as good? I walked out the door with my 18 Pro, $11200. There were 18 G4’s few a couple hundred more.

Here’s a Cat, $11795? https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile/...ro/1403767944?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

With the superior negotiator skills the guys have on here they should be able to knock several hundred off that price for you.
11k all in or bust.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear you but if your looking for proven reliability don't look any further for a 2 stroke. The Suzuk is the most reliable 2 stroke sled engine ever made, the new Ctech has some pretty big shoes to fill to match that reputation. My wife ride's a 17 and when we bought it i had the option to go with the 18 but like you reliability is foremost important so we went with the proven one.

Thanks Lund! Yes its seems that cat with the suzuki motor is the most reliable 2 stroke out there ! I have not ridden one but have heard they dont have the greatest bottom end pull and if im coming from a etec I might be dissapointed? maybe not?
One other question for u I just noticed a Brand new 2017 king cat for sale at my local dealer for $14 k, not sure if theres freight and pdi on top of that but I call on tuesday! The king cats and sidewinders run different clutches are far as I know? are the yamaha clutches better?

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lund! Yes its seems that cat with the suzuki motor is the most reliable 2 stroke out there ! I have not ridden one but have heard they dont have the greatest bottom end pull and if im coming from a etec I might be dissapointed? maybe not?
One other question for u I just noticed a Brand new 2017 king cat for sale at my local dealer for $14 k, not sure if theres freight and pdi on top of that but I call on tuesday! The king cats and sidewinders run different clutches are far as I know? are the yamaha clutches better?
An 18 Cat will have more snap on the bottom end than your doo did. I rode cat for years and now on Doo and that was my biggest complaint was that I missed the bottom end grunt on the Cats! I have since re-clutched the Doo to help with bottom end.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

6 of one, half a dozen from another, they are pretty darn the same in clutching. Right now maybe Cat has an advantage because guys are seeing roller issues with the Winder. But is this because there are more Winders out there? When someone thinks 4 stroke they think Yamaha automatically, personally i would not hesitate to buy a King Cat.
Yes your right about the Suzuki, it won't torque like the Etech in the low end.

An 18 Cat will have more snap on the bottom end than your doo did. I rode cat for years and now on Doo and that was my biggest complaint was that I missed the bottom end grunt on the Cats! I have since re-clutched the Doo to help with bottom end.

He's talking about the 17 model.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bjd68, while a lot of people talk about Yamaha reliability and getting 10,000 km's out of their sled worry free... I can attest it does NOT happen to everyone. I ended up spending more on my turbo Yamaha Nytro than any other sled I've ever owned. $5500 for a motor rebuild when the sled ended up running upside down for too long (I know they have roll-over valves which are supposed to save this from happening - assuming they work), $2500 for a new subframe (admittedly from dropping into a creek), $7500 for new skid, tunnel, track (when suspension failed catastrophically), $350 for a cracked oil can, and a couple of weekends messed up from failed drive shaft bearings. I hope that the Sidewinder is much better for all their owners as I certainly hate to see anybody's time riding get ruined no matter what brand they ride as it wrecks your buddies weekends as well. My turbo Apex was pretty much worry free other than a throttle sensor and cracked exhaust baffles. If you go the Yamaha route I wish you all the best as the turbo power is addictive. My only point is do not buy into the illusion that riding a Yamaha is all just turn the key and go all the time... If you're lucky maybe, but certainly not for everyone. Just go into it with your eyes wide open and lots of room on your credit card or line of credit...

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bjd68, while a lot of people talk about Yamaha reliability and getting 10,000 km's out of their sled worry free... I can attest it does NOT happen to everyone. I ended up spending more on my turbo Yamaha Nytro than any other sled I've ever owned. $5500 for a motor rebuild when the sled ended up running upside down for too long (I know they have roll-over valves which are supposed to save this from happening - assuming they work), $2500 for a new subframe (admittedly from dropping into a creek), $7500 for new skid, tunnel, track (when suspension failed catastrophically), $350 for a cracked oil can, and a couple of weekends messed up from failed drive shaft bearings. I hope that the Sidewinder is much better for all their owners as I certainly hate to see anybody's time riding get ruined no matter what brand they ride as it wrecks your buddies weekends as well. My turbo Apex was pretty much worry free other than a throttle sensor and cracked exhaust baffles. If you go the Yamaha route I wish you all the best as the turbo power is addictive. My only point is do not buy into the illusion that riding a Yamaha is all just turn the key and go all the time... If you're lucky maybe, but certainly not for everyone. Just go into it with your eyes wide open and lots of room on your credit card or line of credit...

Oh ya for sure, I know every sled has there issues and I am very well aware if I did ever have engine issues its going to be a heck of alot more money to fix than any 2 stroke ! As far as wrecking or bending stuff that just comes with the mountain riding and anything can happen! It seems anyway that there has not been too many king cat or sidewinder major failures that I know of unless its a something like the sled was running upside down for too long ! Which I did hear from a dealer in vernon and now it has a brand new motor !

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So been on the phone lots pricing sidewinders and 2018 mountain cats so far best price I got now for a new 2018 mountain cat 162 is $14250 OTD and used 18 sidewinders for in the 16 range with low kms! Gonna decide tommorow I hope

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will need to get rid of the lower chain case gear on the mountain cat soon as they are not good and they only have a 1 year warranty and no e start. I got a 850 summit with a 3year warranty for 14300OTD with shot start.

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So been on the phone lots pricing sidewinders and 2018 mountain cats so far best price I got now for a new 2018 mountain cat 162 is $14250 OTD and used 18 sidewinders for in the 16 range with low kms! Gonna decide tommorow I hope

Have you called the Yammy/Polaris Dealer in Kamloops??
They have a couple of 18 Winders......

Top Bottom