Having trouble deciding on sled purchase ?

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will need to get rid of the lower chain case gear on the mountain cat soon as they are not good and they only have a 1 year warranty and no e start. I got a 850 summit with a 3year warranty for 14300OTD with shot start.

Thats a good deal for sure! Im still looking but the warranty looks like only 1 year from every dealer ive talked too!

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also does anyone know if there using the same aluminum gear on the 19 models ? And if there is a recall for the 18 MC for this?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think u are missing the biggest thing. Weight weight if u can ride that heavy pig all day evey day u ride. Yamaha is good for one thing going up . The motor may last but the rest of the sled falls apart just the same as the 2 jokes. The best is one of each . Steep and deep turbo 4 stroke. Trees and boondock 2 stroke good luck.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bjd68, while a lot of people talk about Yamaha reliability and getting 10,000 km's out of their sled worry free... I can attest it does NOT happen to everyone. I ended up spending more on my turbo Yamaha Nytro than any other sled I've ever owned. $5500 for a motor rebuild when the sled ended up running upside down for too long (I know they have roll-over valves which are supposed to save this from happening - assuming they work), $2500 for a new subframe (admittedly from dropping into a creek), $7500 for new skid, tunnel, track (when suspension failed catastrophically), $350 for a cracked oil can, and a couple of weekends messed up from failed drive shaft bearings. I hope that the Sidewinder is much better for all their owners as I certainly hate to see anybody's time riding get ruined no matter what brand they ride as it wrecks your buddies weekends as well. My turbo Apex was pretty much worry free other than a throttle sensor and cracked exhaust baffles. If you go the Yamaha route I wish you all the best as the turbo power is addictive. My only point is do not buy into the illusion that riding a Yamaha is all just turn the key and go all the time... If you're lucky maybe, but certainly not for everyone. Just go into it with your eyes wide open and lots of room on your credit card or line of credit...

This only happen's to guy's that don't have tether's or don't use tether's. Yamaha's do not come with tether's and should but they don't.
ROV are not design to shut down a motor if you roll it over LOL. The sole purpose of the ROV is to stop oil from entering the intake track to prevent engine hydraulic.
So if you give info. make sure you understand the system's, sorry to hear your issue you had but clearly you never understood what you were getting into and playing with.
The rest of these issues imo are a one off, and not common and some guy's will break anything they get their hands on.
Also, how long do you think it would take to run a 2stroke upside down before it shet's the bed....surprisingly not as long as you think...try it.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s the best price I could find at Vernon Motorsports! If anyone else seen a better price please let me know ?
There's your problem, with Eric gone from there, I wouldn't buy a coffee from there

Call shuswap extreme in salmon arm, probably the best kitty dealer in b. C

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will need to get rid of the lower chain case gear on the mountain cat soon as they are not good and they only have a 1 year warranty and no e start. I got a 850 summit with a 3year warranty for 14300OTD with shot start.

18 or 19?

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I called shuswap extreme but they were out of them! but did talk to I cant remember his name but we talked about the price rivercity gave me and said take it that was a good deal! If he sourced a mountian cat from somewhere else which he said he could of done he wouldnt be able to beat that price! Plus he didnt real want to step in front of rivercity business which is the right thing to do !

So I put a deposit down and pick it up first thing in the morning!

Thanks for everyones help on here, I got several pms also with guys trying to help out! so thanks to u guys! But in the end I picked the mountian cat over the sidewinder mostly because of up front cost ! But see myself on a sidewinder in the future!

Should also mention I priced Red deer cycle for the same sled and they were 600 bucks cheaper but wanted to stay somewhat local !

Came to $14 100 OTD I paid

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I called shuswap extreme but they were out of them! but did talk to I cant remember his name but we talked about the price rivercity gave me and said take it that was a good deal! If he sourced a mountian cat from somewhere else which he said he could of done he wouldnt be able to beat that price! Plus he didnt real want to step in front of rivercity business which is the right thing to do !

So I put a deposit down and pick it up first thing in the morning!

Thanks for everyones help on here, I got several pms also with guys trying to help out! so thanks to u guys! But in the end I picked the mountian cat over the sidewinder mostly because of up front cost ! But see myself on a sidewinder in the future!

Should also mention I priced Red deer cycle for the same sled and they were 600 bucks cheaper but wanted to stay somewhat local !

Came to $14 100 OTD I paid

Congrat on your new purchase, you won't be disappointed, you can't go wrong with a Cat and the 18 Cat would be my choice in for a 2stroke.
I recommend replacing the aluminum gear and modifying your intake track, then your golden. Hope in seeing you around one day.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Congrat on your new purchase, you won't be disappointed, you can't go wrong with a Cat and the 18 Cat would be my choice in for a 2stroke.
I recommend replacing the aluminum gear and modifying your intake track, then your golden. Hope in seeing you around one day.

Thanks Lund! Yes been reading about the gear I think Ill change that as soon as I have so time but going to test her out on the way home from kamloops tommorow! Also was told the recalls would be done so hopefully the includes the intake track! or maybe I should be modifying it myself ? ! Ill have a look at it this morning to see ! See u on the snow !!

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice choice also my pick aswell for 2stroke. Talked a buddy into getting the new cat and he loves his 2018.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lund! Yes been reading about the gear I think Ill change that as soon as I have so time but going to test her out on the way home from kamloops tommorow! Also was told the recalls would be done so hopefully the includes the intake track! or maybe I should be modifying it myself ? ! Ill have a look at it this morning to see ! See u on the snow !!

Intake is not a recall unfortunately, there was 3 updates on my 18 mtn cat but intake wasn’t one of them, some well placed gorilla tape fixes the issue

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what you need to do to the intake to resolve all water issues.
screen.jpg

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what you need to do to the intake to resolve all water issues.
View attachment 214434
so is this the top intake vents or the front prefilter grill ! I found where there’s a gap on the top intake vents I could fit my finger right in there ! Surprised there wasn’t a. Recall for this but it is a easy fix !

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So figured out the air intake gap! I ended up using RTV silicone around the venting to close the gap worked great! I see now where u added the prefilter material right in the nose of the hood ! But I was looking and as long as the gaps are all filled by the frog skins than how else could snow get in there, everything else looks sealed tight!
Anyways heading out Monday for a real test!

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just for comparison, I met a guy yesterday with an '18 G4 175 for $12,000 out the door. I have seen them with my own eyes sitting on a dealer's floor in that $12,000 range. Shop around and see what you find. All it is, is a phone call or two.

That’s because they’re garbage. ;-)

Top Bottom