Adoption

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thoughts, concerns, opinions. Just throwing this out there i was adopted pretty much at birth. :cool::beer:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Greatest thing we could have ever done (for everyone involved)!!!!!!!!

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thoughts, concerns, opinions. Just throwing this out there i was adopted pretty much at birth. :cool::beer:

I think it is a great thing. I dont think its for everyone , but for those that are willing and able they are doing a great thing and deserve a huge pat on the back. :beer:

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kids deserve it, I know most are better off for it......and some people just shouldn't be parents, funny you need a license to drive a car but anyone can have a kid. sometimes I feel sad for the kids. and glad for the parents of adopted ones, challenging but makes everyone better in the end.

mudd kitty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been thinking about adopting as I am 10 years younger then my man and he is fixed:eek: I have 3 step kids that I love very much and I think that we would be a great family to welcome a few more children into.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have enough people on this planet, no need to add more to the pile. That and there are tons of kids with no families yet. Seems rude not to offer them a chance, just because they are not your seed.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasnt sure how well this topic would go over as i know there are many mixed feelings that go along with it. I am 30 years old and was adopted at 3 weeks old, my brother and i both actually. We were recently blessed with another baby girl in our house and it got me thinking. I have never had much interest in searching for my birth mother and family but for alot of reasons i feel i owe to my kids and family to seek out some of my history. I have always known who my mom and dad are, the people that raised me and that will never change, i have always been extremely grateful for the life i was blessed with that i didnt have to have, iv always known i was adopted and none of that information was ever hidden from me. Cudos to those of you considering this option, i will warn you however the government has allowed the privatization of this and its kind of turned into a business which for me is a real kick in the nutz but thats a whole other story.

Deano

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really privatized. It is still non profit and regulated by the Gov. They do charge a fair bit though and some agencies try to justify higher costs. Pseudo privatized I guess. You can do adoption outside an agency. Lawyers will be involved and it can get tricky.

Many provinces have gone to open adoption, which means everyone involved knows everyone. Each group on either side sets the rules they are comfortable with, but they all know each other. No more searching for birth parents later in life.

I could share a lot of information, but there is just not enough space or time here. It can be a very, very rewarding and fantastic experience. We have helped three other friends (to date) with the adoption process and all have been wonderful stories for the birth and adoptive parents.

All I can say is that you need to be very open and honest with yourself and everyone involved. Do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions.

Not all kids needing adoption are from bad parents, bad situations or young parents. You would be very surprised at the stats. There are however a lot of kids that need loving homes.................

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Me to i really dont want to cause any trouble but dont think two homosexual guys should be able to adopt.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com

So was I.

Being the product of the back seat of a 57 Chevy could have been worse...I'm a very very luck person.

I was also very young...back in 1965 girls "went away" for a few months and peeps like me were "placed".

Adoption good. Seriously...good.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those of you that were adopted, isnt there a natural draw to find out where you came from?? I would be interested in knowing if anyone feels comfortable about talking about it.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
For those of you that were adopted, isnt there a natural draw to find out where you came from?? I would be interested in knowing if anyone feels comfortable about talking about it.

I can only speak for myself...the only time my brain processes the fact I was adopted is at times like these when it is discussed. I'm 45...as mentioned, adopted within days of birth...my "parents" are the only ones I know. Crossed the brain very few times over the years, I personally do not have the "need" to go looking. I know my bio-parents were students at the UofA and were healthy young adults ... hope they are enjoying life as well as I am.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then don't adopt !!!

Seriously...WTF does that have to do with the question...:confused: (yes i know Elton has adopted) fawk I thought I was a redneck.

Because he asked for opinions and as i was adopted i think it was a fair point.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself...the only time my brain processes the fact I was adopted is at times like these when it is discussed. I'm 45...as mentioned, adopted within days of birth...my "parents" are the only ones I know. Crossed the brain very few times over the years, I personally do not have the "need" to go looking. I know my bio-parents were students at the UofA and were healthy young adults ... hope they are enjoying life as well as I am.

I really think i need help on this subject its really f###ed me up. I really cant handle what happend even now.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why ??seriously who cares if they do or dont. wouldnt it be better for a child to be in a home with two people who want a child than a male and female who "banged" out a kid and are raising it because they feel they have to

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
Because he asked for opinions and as i was adopted i think it was a fair point.

It is a fair point but this forum has instant ways of taking comments like that and turning this thread into something it does not need to be.

I really think i need help on this subject its really f###ed me up. I really cant handle what happend even now.

K...sounds like we've had different experiences...feel for you JS. Stay tough mister.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To those of you who were adopted I have great admiration for your parents, it's a HUGE responsibility and commitment to take on and they should be commended for it. I lived with a girl who was adopted and she was very well adjusted, loved her parents and had no intentions of finding her birth parents.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So was I.

Being the product of the back seat of a 57 Chevy could have been worse...I'm a very very luck person.

I was also very young...back in 1965 girls "went away" for a few months and peeps like me were "placed".

Adoption good. Seriously...good.

I too was adopted, reconnected with my "birth"parents about 15 years ago !!! They married each other and now I have 2 brothers !! (raised as an only child) Cool !! My "birth"mom went away for 9 months and her dad NEVER knew I happened !! (she was 16 yrs. old) I always though you were a product of your how you were raised, it does have a factor but genenics play a huge factor !!! My experence was a good one but not all adoptions have a happy ending.

P.S. -It's important to find out where you come from !!! My "birth"dad passed away about a 1 1/2 yr. ago from CANCER at age 56 !!! His cancer is 80 % hereditary and so now I am going for numerous test to make sure I don't get it, if I can help it !!!!

Extra P.S. - My parents who raised me are MY PARENTS !!! Always will be !! I respect and love them for be willing to take a chance on a very important decision in life. It's a life long decision and something that should be thought long and hard about.
I also respect my birth parents for giving me a chance on life !!! She could have terminated me at the beginning. (that's a whole other issue). AND it would be a big decision to give me up BUT they thought about my future !!

There I am done my rant !! :rant::rant:

Top Bottom