Track Ratcheting

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2024 was ratcheting pretty good in the heavy wet snow I adjusted it like 8 turns which Improved it but still had it happen one more time. 8 turns seems like a huge adjustment machine is just out of break in. Is this something to be concerned about ? The drivers and windows appear fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2024 was ratcheting pretty good in the heavy wet snow I adjusted it like 8 turns which Improved it but still had it happen one more time. 8 turns seems like a huge adjustment machine is just out of break in. Is this something to be concerned about ? The drivers and windows appear fine.

I find Skidoo need to be tight like a guitar string. First 400 K I adjust mine lots. Daily. Especially if you’re a heavier man. .

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Did your dealer adjust it before you took delivery? What did the track measure for sag when you picked it up and got it home in the garage? 8 turns might seem like a huge adjustment but without a starting point it’s hard to say.

Like others said run tighter than spec and adjust as needed. My 23 165 didn’t need a lot of adjustment will see how the 24 goes this season.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Change your drivers, if they have ratcheted they are probably already rounded off enough that they will do so easier now, I changed mine right away and you can run your track much looser and they are much better quality with bigger lugs.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply’s I’ll see how it works next trip, prior to the snow getting wet it wasn’t an issue. Fingers crossed it’s all good

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My 2023 ratcheted once I tightened the track and inspected, never had another issue and I think it’s pointless and a waste of money to be changing your drivers. If this was an issue skidoo would be dealing with it, and I believe its not. Currently they have more units on the snow than any other machine and i dont see or intend on seeing mad rush to order and install drivers. My 2 cents

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6 tooth drivers. You only have 2-3 clogs in at a time. Be nice if I could get away running 7 tooth drivers.I don’t really think putting aftermarket 6 tooth drivers is going to fix much other than padding someone’s bank account.
Not sure if the tracks come fully clipped or not but that would help.
You’re pretty much stuck to running the track tight.
Wouldn’t be a big deal to me

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2023 ratcheted once I tightened the track and inspected, never had another issue and I think it’s pointless and a waste of money to be changing your drivers. If this was an issue skidoo would be dealing with it, and I believe its not. Currently they have more units on the snow than any other machine and i dont see or intend on seeing mad rush to order and install drivers. My 2 cents
I could pull my '19 175 off my deck with one hand and it would roll out into the middle of my garage after Ken did drivers and fully clipped the track. There is a difference from stock without a doubt. To some it's worth the money and to others it's not. If I was getting out more than a couple weekends a year anymore I would do it again for sure.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could pull my '19 175 off my deck with one hand and it would roll out into the middle of my garage after Ken did drivers and fully clipped the track. There is a difference from stock without a doubt. To some it's worth the money and to others it's not. If I was getting out more than a couple weekends a year anymore I would do it again for sure.
What he said.
Frees up some horsepower and bearings last longer.

wkotelko

Reaction score
The avid drivers make a difference. I have the 6 tooth avids and can run the track looser, doesnt ratchet and runs quieter.. Some guys are getting away with 7 tooth avids and their ratcheting days are definitely over. Lift your sled up and try turn the track with it factory tight, it takes some effort. My track ratcheted once and the factory drivers rounded off..so then you have to run it even tighter to a point where it growls and howls like crazy when your riding. I believe the tight track tension/ratcheting was also part of the chain case failure issues on the turbo And also premature track delamination.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 23 expert has 1 km on it the drive side of the stock drivers look rounded right from new. The coast or brake side has a flatter surface. Has anyone reversed the on the shaft so they drive of the flat side

wkotelko

Reaction score
My 23 expert has 1 km on it the drive side of the stock drivers look rounded right from new. The coast or brake side has a flatter surface. Has anyone reversed the on the shaft so they drive of the flat side
It sure looks like it could be done, I don't think the rounded edge would effect braking.
But yes they are quite round from new. I have not heard of anyone doing it though.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That was a pretty impressive difference between your sled and mine.
Having a fully clipped track IMO from the factory should be standard, who cares about the 2 extra lbs of rotating mass when the amount of friction that’s reduced is huge.
I think there is more gain in the fully clipped track then there is to the drivers, on close inspection the non clipped window is barely touching the driver tooth. But that was just my theory at the time, and I didn’t get put that track on my turbo.
Engineers always leave room for the aftermarket to improve on, how about that two piece driveshaft. Lmao.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I noticed that on my 23 this summer when bored . Decided to check a bunch of chit out as I know FA about doos. Thought they looked rounded compared to what I’m used to looking at

Top Bottom