163" 3" without drop N roll

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What did you change with your clutching when you went to a 3 inch track?

Nothing. Still waiting to see a "clutched" sled pass by me before dropping 400$. The factory sleds with 3" pull rated rpm all day long and have no problem recovering. They make a few less kmh track speed for the obvious reasons. If you can gain that back with a clutch kit I would be shocked but hey I love to be wrong.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are people arguing here lol........A football feild higher?????? Jesus you need to teach me how to do your "clutching" becuase ill talk everyone to stop wasting money on dumb $%^& like turbos!!!
"hey man I was thinking of turboing my xm what do you think?"
"Dont waste 8 grand man just clutch it.... It will do the same thing"

I HAVE a 3" on my sled........It has 1300kms on it........Take it from me.......It is a waste of money now. On the XP's......NO... I really liked it. The CHEAPEST way for me to get out of this 3" and back into a 2.5 is to sell the sled and thats what Im doing!!! Obviosly the traction is there.....but all around riding the 2.5 is the way to go.....We put them head to head all day.......save your money and do some pipe work!

hmmm thats not what you told me!

But hey you keep telling people turbos are a waste of money, i'll keep all that unreachable powder to myself :D

But i do have to agree with Maxwell and T-Team on this, there isnt really a benefit to putting a 3" on a XM. You lose too much track speed. and after climbing beside one, unless you have a turbo or some other power gainer, stick with the stock track. It works, so why change it?

Last edited:

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
hmmm thats not what you told me!

But hey you keep telling people turbos are a waste of money, i'll keep all that unreachable powder to myself :D

But i do have to agree with Maxwell and T-Team on this, there isnt really a benefit to putting a 3" on a XM. You lose too much track speed. and after climbing beside one, unless you have a turbo or some other power gainer, stick with the stock track. It works, so why change it?

Im saying the turbo DOES work lol... Its just someone basically saying a properly clutched sled will blow the effin DOORS off a stock one..Yes if properly done clutching makes a great difference... a football feild higher... no. lol. And Im also not saying the 3" DOESNT WORK!!! Its fun... Im saying its a waste of money.. as in THERE ARE PLENTY OF THINGS YOU COULD DO THAT MAKE MORE OF A DIFFERENCE.. Some guys on here are so dick hurt lol. When people ask ... "hey....does this work good?" Be PREPARED for a yes or no answer or dont ask the F^&$ing question.. Like......you have people here that USE them and are telling you NOT to do it lol.....and then yelling at them...... What "input" were you looking for???

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im saying the turbo DOES work lol... Its just someone basically saying a properly clutched sled will blow the effin DOORS off a stock one..Yes if properly done clutching makes a great difference... a football feild higher... no. lol. And Im also not saying the 3" DOESNT WORK!!! Its fun... Im saying its a waste of money.. as in THERE ARE PLENTY OF THINGS YOU COULD DO THAT MAKE MORE OF A DIFFERENCE.. Some guys on here are so dick hurt lol. When people ask ... "hey....does this work good?" Be PREPARED for a yes or no answer or dont ask the F^&$ing question.. Like......you have people here that USE them and are telling you NOT to do it lol.....and then yelling at them...... What "input" were you looking for???

Ohhhh now with the explanation that makes sense! Everyone will have a different opinion about every single mod out there. Thats why there is so many options. Do your own research, make your own conclusions. After all its not like they are spending any money if you do it. People told me i would be doing nothing but tinkering when i turboed my sled. 2400 km later i havent had to touch a thing. But again thats MY experience. Yours could be completely different.
I asked you because i wanted an honest, experience opinion, which is exactly what you gave me. But that was just your opinion. I still had to make up my own mind. Which i did, and i havent regretted anything since :) which i think is what most people expect to get when they ask questions on here. However one persons opinion on the internet is not the be all end all!

But you are completely right, a 3" on a stock XM is a total waste of money. Looks cool though!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ohhhh now with the explanation that makes sense! Everyone will have a different opinion about every single mod out there. Thats why there is so many options. Do your own research, make your own conclusions. After all its not like they are spending any money if you do it. People told me i would be doing nothing but tinkering when i turboed my sled. 2400 km later i havent had to touch a thing. But again thats MY experience. Yours could be completely different.
I asked you because i wanted an honest, experience opinion, which is exactly what you gave me. But that was just your opinion. I still had to make up my own mind. Which i did, and i havent regretted anything since :) which i think is what most people expect to get when they ask questions on here. However one persons opinion on the internet is not the be all end all!

But you are completely right, a 3" on a stock XM is a total waste of money. Looks cool though!

imagine your sled with a 3".....perhaps you and trent could make a trade.

the best part about my experience with the 3" track is that i havent paid a dime for any of the ones ive spent time on. so im not afraid to say how it works or doesnt work.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 inch....2.5 inch. Modded XM.....stock XM. Clutched..........not clutched. Who cares? The important thing is all of the above combinations is still a better sled than what Lenny rides! Lmao!!

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
3 inch....2.5 inch. Modded XM.....stock XM. Clutched..........not clutched. Who cares? The important thing is all of the above combinations is still a better sled than what Lenny rides! Lmao!!

UNLESS........we are talking about riding football feilds.....

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baker runnin 174 3" with stock motor and his is very impressive from what I hear?I think clutching is key!

$15,000 on top of the price of a new XM is not stock... Baker knows his chit and makes stuff that works but be prepared to pay for it... I've only ever seen the sled run up and down hills so I can't say anything about it's all around performance but I can say it did those hills in a hurry!

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$15,000 on top of the price of a new XM is not stock... Baker knows his chit and makes stuff that works but be prepared to pay for it... I've only ever seen the sled run up and down hills so I can't say anything about it's all around performance but I can say it did those hills in a hurry!

Well the point here was stock engine which he was supposedly running?I didnt really care about his chassis mods which I know are done.The point is the stock etec is pulling a 174 3" so that alone says clutching was a huge factor.Unless ofcourse someone is B.S'ing then its all different!!:rant:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the point here was stock engine which he was supposedly running?I didnt really care about his chassis mods which I know are done.The point is the stock etec is pulling a 174 3" so that alone says clutching was a huge factor.Unless ofcourse someone is B.S'ing then its all different!!:rant:

Even with the best clutching in the world your track speed is still going to suffer, thus i dont think its really worth it. The Etec only puts out so much power.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, I thought I was on snowest for a minute....lol :beer:

I learned my lesson.....never claim something works good on a public forum. From now on, everything sucks. I'm going back to a 1" track because those bigger lugs just slow the sled down, no way it can go farther in the deep with those big lugs just slowing it down. :D

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't worry Winter , it's just if it isn't approved by Maxwell and his followers it isn't true or can't be done. Lol
The XM can't be improved on by the sounds of thinks .
I guess I should have bought from Maxwells shop as they are perfect in every way.
Or does he own a shop??? Just sounds like it. Lol

moonbeam

Reaction score
did some lookin around and the 3" 174's tracks are actually lighter than the the stock 163's (more spacing between lugs). I ride with guys that have done this conversion and track speed dipped 2-3 mph but with a little less weight in the primary and different spring set ups we've seen 48 mph running stock gearing (19:49). To each there own just thought id let you know what ive seen. 174 3"ers are hard to catch!!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't worry Winter , it's just if it isn't approved by Maxwell and his followers it isn't true or can't be done. Lol
The XM can't be improved on by the sounds of thinks .
I guess I should have bought from Maxwells shop as they are perfect in every way.
Or does he own a shop??? Just sounds like it. Lol

get a life man. just because i told the guy my honest reveiw and you dont agree doesnt mean you have to listen and make stupid comments. my shop is not a business. i build ( used to build ) sleds for relatives and friends. now the factory sleds are so good why bother. im done with the modifying game thanks to the manufacturers. 3" tracks are not working for me or anyone i know. whether i built it or not. but thats great that yours is. i guess you have never noticed that opinions vary from one person to another and perhaps neither is incorrect. take it or leave it. its just my input.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, I thought I was on snowest for a minute....lol :beer:

I learned my lesson.....never claim something works good on a public forum. From now on, everything sucks. I'm going back to a 1" track because those bigger lugs just slow the sled down, no way it can go farther in the deep with those big lugs just slowing it down. :D

no ones doubting your sleds work good. im just sharing my experiences. that is all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My experience with three inches. Is they do not last, lower your track speed, but increase ground speed.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Nobody is even saying they can't be improved you moron. Grow up lol. We have alot of kms on both and we were simply saying which was working best for us as we have traded riders and watched them go against each other until the sun goes down. YOU think yours works great for YOU.... Awesome.. Your sled is working for you. But what would be the point in someone asking if something works and everybody saying its perfect?? There would be no point in asking for information on a forum because EVERYTHING would work perfect and there would be no point in researching anything... People would just buy everything and do it! That's the whole reason we do these little mods to one or two sleds.. So we can figure out WHAT works better and what doesn't with the riding we do

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
T-Teams 3" didnt stand a chance compared to Mareshow's sled in vale couple weeks ago with snow over the handle bars.

I thought the 3" was cool how it just didnt stop tractoring around at low speeds, then the stock 2.5" turbo etech showed up and just killed it. If your lookin for a mod worth the money, and have a 2013 etech go for the turbo.

(Anyone done a turbo 3" yet? That would be unstoppable. )

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were out with him in dec as well and I will let him reply how the 872 and 880 three inch compared...lol
T-Teams 3" didnt stand a chance compared to Mareshow's sled in vale couple weeks ago with snow over the handle bars.

I thought the 3" was cool how it just didnt stop tractoring around at low speeds, then the stock 2.5" turbo etech showed up and just killed it. If your lookin for a mod worth the money, and have a 2013 etech go for the turbo.

(Anyone done a turbo 3" yet? That would be unstoppable. )

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were out with him in dec as well and I will let him reply how the 872 and 880 three inch compared...lol

You're thinking of Maierch again there Fred. i think we need to go riding just so you stop mixing us up lol. Dave's CF has a 3" on it and it leaves my sled in the dust. the stuff he can climb vs me is ridiculous. if you have the extra power 3" is the way to go for sure!

Top Bottom