163" 3" without drop N roll

Destroyer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
its do able. talk to dave micku about drop in rolls. THey suck i guess. screw up the angle of the track vs the snow and trench like a mofo. Smaller drivers put the 3" in there and hammer down.

That being said i run the stock track. But if i only rode steep and deep. 3" all the way

Assaulter13

Reaction score
Just pulled up the video from your sig Destroyer -- that is some excellent riding - the turbo is nice also!! You done good -- keep it up!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
done 3" on xp's and xms with new and old design. there is not issues with 7th drivers... just keep the track tension properly so there are no delamination issues and you all good.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done many....one note though. The new style "single ply" 3" no longer has the serrated paddles. They are smooth so there is now actually a little contact directly above the drivers. There was clearance with the "old" style track. It seems to self clear as things wear and the paddles fold over a bit. You can hear it but it doesn't seem to have any ill effect. The thought of it touching is the worst part.
You will also have to run the Avid "Cat style drivers for the Doo shaft as the new tracks have those puny little nubbons where the traditional anti-ratchet drivers would go.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Maxwell did mine for me.....We even did the flex edge conversion... That's the last 3" ill ever do for sure. You CAN'T just throw a 3" on those XM's and call it good. Granted Im not on the hill as much as some and might not be as knowledgabe but Im smart enough to know after watching stock and the 3" go all year that its a gigantic waste of money.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
T-team why you think waste of money ? Is the 2.5 just as close to 3" ?the clutching is a little off on xm and I would think the bigger track would amplify this. If they did not clutch for 3" I think sled would be quite lazy.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
T-team why you think waste of money ? Is the 2.5 just as close to 3" ?the clutching is a little off on xm and I would think the bigger track would amplify this. If they did not clutch for 3" I think sled would be quite lazy.

bottom line is the 3" track is heavier and takes more power to spin. therefor its going to spin slower. a 3" machine will not outclimb a 2.5" machine for that simple fact. if you can throw on some power adders and get it spinning as fast as a 2.5" then its game over and i know because i have done this. but in stock form the only real gain from the 3" is moving slow through the trees. and even then its marginal and nt worth the 2000$. not to mention the xm handles WAY worse with the 3" track even WITH the lugs broken. if you can get that 3" spinning 5mph faster it would be a monster. also the sled vibrates way more with those squared off avid drivers and big lugs

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
so a 860 or 872 with a 3" track would work very well with a few other goodies such as belt drive, lightweight front suspension etc

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bottom line is the 3" track is heavier and takes more power to spin. therefor its going to spin slower. a 3" machine will not outclimb a 2.5" machine for that simple fact. if you can throw on some power adders and get it spinning as fast as a 2.5" then its game over and i know because i have done this. but in stock form the only real gain from the 3" is moving slow through the trees. and even then its marginal and nt worth the 2000$. not to mention the xm handles WAY worse with the 3" track even WITH the lugs broken. if you can get that 3" spinning 5mph faster it would be a monster. also the sled vibrates way more with those squared off avid drivers and big lugs

I disagree... Last ride out I was pullin 5ft radius circles with a xm and 3", So i am not buying that. A 3" machine will out climb a 2.5", your clutching is off. Obviously if snow is only 6" deep there is no gain but if over the windshield the edge is gonna be to the 3" I have said it once and I will say it again, very few will utilize a 3" to its potential. Putting a 3" on any sled makes it more purpose built for deep snow days rather than all around riding like a 2.5".

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I disagree... Last ride out I was pullin 5ft radius circles with a xm and 3", So i am not buying that. A 3" machine will out climb a 2.5", your clutching is off. Obviously if snow is only 6" deep there is no gain but if over the windshield the edge is gonna be to the 3" I have said it once and I will say it again, very few will utilize a 3" to its potential. Putting a 3" on any sled makes it more purpose built for deep snow days rather than all around riding like a 2.5".

Meh. There may be small gains in clutching. So drop another 350 to make it run better? And ya you can burn donuts just fine but the t motion does not work as good with the 3" broken rods help but if there not broken might Aswell ditch the tmotion as the flex track is very important.

beatty

Reaction score
Bakers 174 3inch waxed my 13 climbing and ride with two other 3" both with 872s but needless to say dialed in now all three sleds are very very impressive took a bit to get then clutched right but they rock now

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's the first time I have heard someone say this...I would suspect if your 3" didn't show you big gains then there was something not right. Keep in mind the new single ply 3" is only 4lbs heavier than the stock track. The 3" sleds we have done are not even in the same ballpark as the same sled with 2.5", literally a football field higher on the hill when it's deep and stacks up well with a low boost turbo with 2.5". Make it a 174 and it's yet another huge gain....all with stock or close to stock engine. With appropriate clutching and gearing we only lose a couple MPH (corrected for drivers) going 3" and a couple more MPH going to 174-3", but the actual ground speed (climbing) is MUCH faster. All the time I have personally spent on 3" sleds, and these numbers I observed were with the old, heavier track. JMO-

Top Bottom