163" 3" without drop N roll

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the first time I have heard someone say this...I would suspect if your 3" didn't show you big gains then there was something not right. Keep in mind the new single ply 3" is only 4lbs heavier than the stock track. The 3" sleds we have done are not even in the same ballpark as the same sled with 2.5", literally a football field higher on the hill when it's deep and stacks up well with a low boost turbo with 2.5". Make it a 174 and it's yet another huge gain....all with stock or close to stock engine. With appropriate clutching and gearing we only lose a couple MPH (corrected for drivers) going 3" and a couple more MPH going to 174-3", but the actual ground speed (climbing) is MUCH faster. All the time I have personally spent on 3" sleds, and these numbers I observed were with the old, heavier track. JMO-

I've had like 15 of them go out of my shop guess they were all Fawked. Yes there are small gains and larger gains in the trees but not 2500$ worth. The only sled with a 3" that worked AWESOME was one I built with a bikeman full performer kit. The extra 10hp really got that biotch spinning and wow did it hook up.

So what's the secret then you have to buy your clutch kit Aswell? Maybe ill do some more tests this weekend and see if I can find that football field difference but last time I was out I out climbed it with my stocker? So what's wrong with these brand new sleds? I've burned enough money on clutch kits and gearing to know im not going to gain a football field but that's what I would like to see!!

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That right there is how a master S&M'er auditions for a sponsorship.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bakers probably watching this thread more than you know lol... yes I do believe his xm was stock with the 174 and some clutching, it ran very well, just as strong as a few of the 872 174 etecs we rode with(he runs a stretched case), just as strong as my 880 with a 162 track and 4 lugs missing... if your in deep snow the three inch will be a football field higher than the stock xm, seen it before...

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im hoping he's here that way he knows we're on to him!!HaHa!His sled could be as trick as yours Fred??Fred yours was a football field ahead of mine with one cylinder??Whats up??

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
back in 2011 when we first got the etecs, we had two sleds stock skids one with a three inch 163 and another with a three inch 162, this was first trip out with it... we lined up at the bottom of a hill in decent snow and took off, I gave him a head start to see it on helmet cam, but with in a few seconds we were dead even and a few later much ahead, over the course of a day we seen how they had compared and everything else being the same.... conclusion was much better traction and better breaking, sled cooling was worse, and less stable on hardpac snow, and that was on the 7 tooth drivers

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had help from a chopper... its finally working like it should, gotta try it now
Im hoping he's here that way he knows we're on to him!!HaHa!His sled could be as trick as yours Fred??Fred yours was a football field ahead of mine with one cylinder??Whats up??

Darren400

Reaction score
Can someone help me fix the 15 3" track sleds I've done? How do I get this football field to show up. What's the secret

maybe take it down to paul at rooster built, would be a good start

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My question would be as to why you didn't address this after the first or second one.(15 all running the same) Your shop?? Do you own a dealership?? lol
Why would someone that knows everything about the snowmobile world be asking others ?? lol

Can someone help me fix the 15 3" track sleds I've done? How do I get this football field to show up. What's the secret

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My question would be as to why you didn't address this after the first or second one.(15 all running the same) Your shop?? Do you own a dealership?? lol
Why would someone that knows everything about the snowmobile world be asking others ?? lol

Because I know that no clutching and gearing in the world is going to make a 3" factory sled climb a football field higher

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a big world out there maxwell and you might be suprized at what can be obtained with good clutching;)

For sure there are gains to be had. But I still stand by my opinion that to really make the 3" shine you need another 10+hp to overcome the extra weight,tighter clearances and extra power sucked away to spin the 3"

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perhaps our lower altitude accounts for an additional 10 HP.....maybe that's the difference. ?? No wait....I know of some at 12K ft in Colorado that are working great too.:confused:
I have done a couple dozen 3"ers and sold at least that many to guys installing themselves....the customers are consistantly impressed with the gains and I absolutely would NOT be doing them if it wasn't worth it, stuffing those drivers in is a PITA!! I sort of wish it didn't work, I cringe every time I have to do a 3"!!
And yes, gearing and clutching is part of the equasion, just throwing a track on isn't going to work very well....the first few I did I geared too low and ended up gearing them much taller than what I THOUGHT was needed. Taller than what I run on a 2.5.
Much of our riding is in the trees and in heavier snow....we don't often get the dry, light powder like you get up there, so maybe our conditions are just prime for the 3" to shine. ???

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that's a big part of it. In the deep sugar snow it seems to climb no higher than the 2.5" but still does work better moving slow through the trees. But if it gets some hookup in heavier snow or harder spring snow then yes it does climb much higher. I'm not saying there are no gains but just for myself and others I have done its just not worth the coin. I would put one on every single sled I've had but I just can't get them to last more than a season is really what it comes down too. And now that camo isn't making the old style anymore I just really have a hard time with that new 14 wide lug

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Why are people arguing here lol........A football feild higher?????? Jesus you need to teach me how to do your "clutching" becuase ill talk everyone to stop wasting money on dumb $%^& like turbos!!!
"hey man I was thinking of turboing my xm what do you think?"
"Dont waste 8 grand man just clutch it.... It will do the same thing"

I HAVE a 3" on my sled........It has 1300kms on it........Take it from me.......It is a waste of money now. On the XP's......NO... I really liked it. The CHEAPEST way for me to get out of this 3" and back into a 2.5 is to sell the sled and thats what Im doing!!! Obviosly the traction is there.....but all around riding the 2.5 is the way to go.....We put them head to head all day.......save your money and do some pipe work!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bottom line is the 3" track is heavier and takes more power to spin. therefor its going to spin slower. a 3" machine will not outclimb a 2.5" machine for that simple fact. if you can throw on some power adders and get it spinning as fast as a 2.5" then its game over and i know because i have done this. but in stock form the only real gain from the 3" is moving slow through the trees. and even then its marginal and nt worth the 2000$. not to mention the xm handles WAY worse with the 3" track even WITH the lugs broken. if you can get that 3" spinning 5mph faster it would be a monster. also the sled vibrates way more with those squared off avid drivers and big lugs

Why are people arguing here lol........A football feild higher?????? Jesus you need to teach me how to do your "clutching" becuase ill talk everyone to stop wasting money on dumb $%^& like turbos!!!
"hey man I was thinking of turboing my xm what do you think?"
"Dont waste 8 grand man just clutch it.... It will do the same thing"

I HAVE a 3" on my sled........It has 1300kms on it........Take it from me.......It is a waste of money now. On the XP's......NO... I really liked it. The CHEAPEST way for me to get out of this 3" and back into a 2.5 is to sell the sled and thats what Im doing!!! Obviosly the traction is there.....but all around riding the 2.5 is the way to go.....We put them head to head all day.......save your money and do some pipe work!

Pretty easy to see why you and maxwell are buddies. Lol. He already did 15 of them ,none worked , yours included, but he kept kicking them out. Now another shop says he's done a couple dozen and they work well. Maxwell says , nah , not possible cause I already know everything, those other guys must be wrong. Sheesh, why wouldn't you try and get him to let you in on what he's doin different, but no I forgot, tree hump,same hill, same town maxwell already knows and they should asking him for tips. Some SHOPS actually do more than just bolt on ch!t and yap on a forum.
And from most o his videos you've never climbed a hill as long as a football field, may be part of the problem.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
All the shops I know of are usually too busy installing stuff and doing work to get out on the hill as much as they should..... Maybe not your shop lol. I could really care less if maxwell said they worked or they didn't I was just giving my two cents man...... Im simply stating that My sled has 1200K on it.....And All of those kms were put on beside mutiple stock XM's and its a waste of money in my opinion. Jesus........ You talk about peopkle yapping on a forum???? I was trying to contribute some information and you jam your keyboard like your a hero about ME AND MAXWELL not climbing anything or whatever? Why am I getting bundled in with him becuase I was talking about MY SLED and how I thought it worked? Calm yourself... Go get a 3" I dont care I was just stating facts.. And maybe dont tell me how I ride either lol you clearly werent out wathching last weekend

Darren400

Reaction score
All the shops I know of are usually too busy installing stuff and doing work to get out on the hill as much as they should..... Maybe not your shop lol. I could really care less if maxwell said they worked or they didn't I was just giving my two cents man...... Im simply stating that My sled has 1200K on it.....And All of those kms were put on beside mutiple stock XM's and its a waste of money in my opinion. Jesus........ You talk about peopkle yapping on a forum???? I was trying to contribute some information and you jam your keyboard like your a hero about ME AND MAXWELL not climbing anything or whatever? Why am I getting bundled in with him becuase I was talking about MY SLED and how I thought it worked? Calm yourself... Go get a 3" I dont care I was just stating facts.. And maybe dont tell me how I ride either lol you clearly werent out wathching last weekend

What did you change with your clutching when you went to a 3 inch track?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty easy to see why you and maxwell are buddies. Lol. He already did 15 of them ,none worked , yours included, but he kept kicking them out. Now another shop says he's done a couple dozen and they work well. Maxwell says , nah , not possible cause I already know everything, those other guys must be wrong. Sheesh, why wouldn't you try and get him to let you in on what he's doin different, but no I forgot, tree hump,same hill, same town maxwell already knows and they should asking him for tips. Some SHOPS actually do more than just bolt on ch!t and yap on a forum.
And from most of your videos you've never climbed a hill as long as a football field, may be part of the problem.

You don't even know half of my story and with respect for winterbrew and the rest on this thread I will stop giving my honest input. What in trying to tell people is that just putting a 3" on is not goin to work wonders like some say. You need more. Whether it be a couple more ponies or a specialized clutching and gearing setup. For your information I built a sled for a fellow in 2012 that was a 2009 summit x. The 3" was insane! And for the sole reason that i also installed a performance addition kit. Pipe,head, reeds, y pipe, can. Good for 7-10hp. That extra hp made slightly higher track speeds than factory WITH the 3" track vs the 2.5". Sled was a monster for that reason. Are you really debating with me Lenny that a larger lug track with lower track speed will outperform a shorter lug track with higher track speed? Sure the 3" will make higher ground speed for maybe another 10 feet but then your trenched in and done anyways. Are guys running 38" tires on there trucks still feeling the same power? I will end by saying the 3" track on a factory sled with factory clutching is OK. It has its advantages tractoring around in the trees and poping up in the snow. The extra vibrations and crappy longevity make it not worth it for myself. Yes there will be some gains to be had by modifying the clutching and gearing. But now your talking a 2500$ mod. For myself I would love to build another 3" track sled for myself but it will have some means of making a few more ponies to get that big flipper spinning a couple mph faster. Sorry you don't like my opinion Lenny but that's all it is, an opinion I'm glad all the other 3" tracks are climbing high. I just haven't seen it out in bc yet. Clutch kits or not. But I love to be proven wrong. Out

Top Bottom