Yamaha- ET 340, strange problem?

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's an 80 or 81 and works great, starts great and runs awesome, if it's at room temperature. If you leave it outside, even if it's above freezing but only plus 5 or so, it won't start and there is no spark. Put it in the shop and a couple of hours later has spark and runs like a top. Sits outside for an hour or two and no start, weak spark and that disappears after a couple of times trying to start it. I've never seen anything like this in all my years. Just wonderin if it could be cdi? Do any of you ET gooroos have any idea? Thanks, Dan

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep the sled warm and then spray the stator with some of that refrigerant liquid in an aerosol can to chill it and see if the problems comes back? b

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just going to that Don, I'll let you know how it goes, at a glance I don't even see a cdi but I'm sure it's not points so it has to have one. I don't work on these old girls much, shouldn't have booked it in, LOL.

daddys girl

Reaction score
My dad some thing like that once on a generator,but it would start cold.so he put it out side and used a hair drier to warm things up.He found the problem but I don't know what it was.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just going to that Don, I'll let you know how it goes, at a glance I don't even see a cdi but I'm sure it's not points so it has to have one. I don't work on these old girls much, shouldn't have booked it in, LOL.

The CDI is mounted in front of the gas tank and down below air box. Likely can't see it with the airbox in. It comes out easy so you could try unplugging it and throw it in the freezer. Cool it off and reinstall it and see what happens. Might want to rule that out before tearing into the stator.

Top Bottom