wood prices.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm.in the middle of the residential custom homes and renovations market in the architecture field. People doing 10k renos don't need lumber that's all finishes. Lumber packages for custom houses have went up over 100%

at only a 100% increase your doing well as the price of lumber at the retailer has tripled in the past year. In March of last year OSB 3/8 was selling for 13.79 a sheet, now its over $51.00, a 2x4 stud was $2.75, now $8.94 as of last weekend. I know this because I built a shed last spring, looked up what I paid for lumber, and compared last weekend at the local Home Depot. Oh, by the way building a shed or a fence also counts in the renovation market, and you dont have to spend 50g to do that.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at only a 100% increase your doing well as the price of lumber at the retailer has tripled in the past year. In March of last year OSB 3/8 was selling for 13.79 a sheet, now its over $51.00, a 2x4 stud was $2.75, now $8.94 as of last weekend. I know this because I built a shed last spring, looked up what I paid for lumber, and compared last weekend at the local Home Depot. Oh, by the way building a shed or a fence also counts in the renovation market, and you dont have to spend 50g to do that.

Yes agreed. 100% is a bargain which furthers my argument. Vinyl fences are now a better price than lumber and are a far better product IMO.
I'm not arguing the cost of renos, I'm just asking where the money is coming from. I know personally my eating out and travel savings from covid wouldn't offset a renovation

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty hard to dine in when your not allowed to by law! Good thing for patio's....

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a few different options if your building that can be compared

Last edited:

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go Icf I would plan to build it to fit the blocks. No weird cuts or half blocks. Design it to only use Full blocks. I used Logix on my house and worked out ok.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend is moving and had 6 sheets of osb in the garage he wanted to get rid of.I put them on kijijiji and they sold for $30 a sheet in less then 4 minutes,he was amazed at my selling powers lol.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When the straps disapear when screwing drywall on then you have to hunt for them lol
That's because most people will use standard 1&1/4 screws, where you need a minimum of 1&5/8' when using 1/2" drywall. 2" screws when using 5/8's drywall

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The house next door was built as slab on grade with styrofoam formwork and in slab heat .The ants have discovered that excavation is very easy in the styrofoam and have now moved into the house rent free . :cool:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I quoted a deck build last night, to R&R a 16x25 deck, using all pressure treat.

The customer replied this morning, that they are going with all concrete, as concrete will be less expensive and maintenance free.

Sucks... cause I could use the work and the cash. But i can't fault them on their decision.

Top Bottom