wood prices.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I quoted a deck build last night, to R&R a 16x25 deck, using all pressure treat.

The customer replied this morning, that they are going with all concrete, as concrete will be less expensive and maintenance free.

Sucks... cause I could use the work and the cash. But i can't fault them on their decision.
That's crazy

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The house next door was built as slab on grade with styrofoam formwork and in slab heat .The ants have discovered that excavation is very easy in the styrofoam and have now moved into the house rent free . :cool:

Why is that? ICF is still filled with concrete.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lumber is the new oilfield

Is that what I'm gathering, without reading the hole thing??

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's because most people will use standard 1&1/4 screws, where you need a minimum of 1&5/8' when using 1/2" drywall. 2" screws when using 5/8's drywall

I use the 1 5/8 sometimes 2 inch. Sometimes the straps are not there period. Been doing this job for quite a while now

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is that? ICF is still filled with concrete.
Perhaps it’s because they also put 2” of styrofoam on the outside of the house so somehow there are easy access routes in for bugs. Perhaps under the sill plates that are partially sitting on foam . The builders motto is “ simply the best” unfortunately there have been multiple problems that have surfaced.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lumber is the new oilfield

Is that what I'm gathering, without reading the hole thing??

Pretty much, yes.

At some point there will be a market correction and the industry will crash for 3-6 months. We understand that and are already putting measures in place to protect ourselves (ie money in the bank and paying off debt) its a hot topic in the workplace. After those 6 months or so lumber will probably be around its traditional price of $350-400 per 1000 board feet, but it take the BC system 3 months to correct the stumpage rates. During that 3 months mills will burn off yard inventory and us contractors will have a long vacation.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use the 1 5/8 sometimes 2 inch. Sometimes the straps are not there period. Been doing this job for quite a while now
Yes, I have seen bricks that don't have the straps in them, or that the block was lined up properly with the next one

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Incorrect, about ICF

Whats awful about ICF?

ICF is a nice concept, but horrible execution. First off, i've never seen one done where the walls are straight enough to drywall as is, they are always getting strapped, electricians will also charge a premium to run wire in them. There's also the wondering of did they completely fill? Is there voids? The insulation is great, but it's much cheaper and better to just put on 2" of foam on each side after the concrete is poured.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
precast FTW

Depends who's doing it. The only residential i've seen was awful, pushed in a wall when backfilling. It relies on the basement floor and main floor to hold it together, had a basement entrance where it didn't have either and at the joint it folded in like a cheap suit, probably 6"-8" cost the owner thousands to fix. Now precast for shops, buildings, etc there's companies who do a great job of that. But houses? Makes no sense. People need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. A regular concrete basement is the only way to go.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I quoted a deck build last night, to R&R a 16x25 deck, using all pressure treat.

The customer replied this morning, that they are going with all concrete, as concrete will be less expensive and maintenance free.

Sucks... cause I could use the work and the cash. But i can't fault them on their decision.

I went with concrete at my last house and this was 5 years ago went lumber wasn't insane, it's so much cheaper and I think it looks nicer. I think for 500 sq/ft of exposed I spent about $2500, cheaper then wood was back then even. A nice railing is stupidly expensive and with concrete you avoid that and only need a few feet of it. Although them saying concrete is maintenance free is totally wrong, less then wood but there's still things to do to keep it up.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have seen bricks that don't have the straps in them, or that the block was lined up properly with the next one

Yeah I think it's because they didn't line them up, especially the outside corners then I show up then have to go hunting lol

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it’s because they also put 2” of styrofoam on the outside of the house so somehow there are easy access routes in for bugs. Perhaps under the sill plates that are partially sitting on foam . The builders motto is “ simply the best” unfortunately there have been multiple problems that have surfaced.

Ok, that make sense. All the ICF I’ve done has the concrete core poured on top of the concrete footings so it’s exactly the same concrete/concrete interface as traditional cribbing.

Top Bottom