Wondering if there is any construction contractors on here?

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am looking at a older home to buy and wondering how much of a pain in the butt it would be to extend the garage out wider vs just building a secondary garage? Attached a picture for reference

IMG_0193.jpg

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To match the left overhead door size wise?
Approach slab as well or extend the whole drive way?
Intersecting gable on the roof over the door too? Gotta have curb appeal.
What dimensions are you looking for?
Hard to estimate with little info.

I just walk dogs for a living now though..
So there's that

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
First of all, you need to find out what the town/city/municipality requires for set backs. Frontage is usually where the initial contractorFrom the picture it doesn't look like you have much room to expand.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To match the left overhead door size wise?
Approach slab as well or extend the whole drive way?
Intersecting gable on the roof over the door too? Gotta have curb appeal.
What dimensions are you looking for?
Hard to estimate with little info.

I just walk dogs for a living now though..
So there's that

I would like to add on another 20ft on the left and yes match the same garage and keep the curb appeal.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all, you need to find out what the town/city/municipality requires for set backs. Frontage is usually where the initial contractorFrom the picture it doesn't look like you have much room to expand.

I called and my plans will work according to there requirements

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the room to just keep going out to the left, should be a pretty simple addition. The front and back will be the load bearing walls for the trusses so knocking out the wall on the end and extending shouldn't be a big deal

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Not getting into major details, but one thing that will have to be done is to dig down to the level of the existing foundation and do your concrete work up to the existing level on the garage. Then backfill. After that it should be relatively simple framing/construction.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not getting into major details, but one thing that will have to be done is to dig down to the level of the existing foundation and do your concrete work up to the existing level on the garage. Then backfill. After that it should be relatively simple framing/construction.
Dont get so technical Doug.....if it's only a small addition just put some sidewalk blocks down and just double the bottom plate

😆

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com

Doug has it figured it’s an easy job trusses run front to back so just do concrete work then add on the framing

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have lots of room out back and to the extend side I would break the roof line and go higher and longer with a bigger door as well .
I added this onto a two car garage existing years ago .
Put car port on as well as that’s where I park 95% of time .
IMG_0985.jpg

Put vaulted trusses so you extra height inside as well . Makes big difference for not much cost .

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First I would ask do you own the land on that side, fence looks close

Top Bottom