who wants to hear what the law in BC about securing a sled on a truck here in BC

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot a few years ago when I was working on the cops sleds from Enderby or vernon at a local sled shop.......they came in and had one strap each on them and the E-brake set......LOL I sold them some tie down straps!

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about how the deck is tied down to the truck? Anybody use load rated straps? Could never find any real info either. So I made plates that go under the box, then eye bolts, to 5/8 turn buckles. Sure its overkill, but I feel safe about the deck. Couple yrs ago, Valemount RCMP had pic of how they wanted the sled tied down. 1 across the skies, 2 @ the rear. Just so dont get bothered about that, Superclamps front & rear & a single strap. This is all in a 3500dually long box. No 1/2tons for me.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about how the deck is tied down to the truck? Anybody use load rated straps? Could never find any real info either. So I made plates that go under the box, then eye bolts, to 5/8 turn buckles. Sure its overkill, but I feel safe about the deck. Couple yrs ago, Valemount RCMP had pic of how they wanted the sled tied down. 1 across the skies, 2 @ the rear. Just so dont get bothered about that, Superclamps front & rear & a single strap. This is all in a 3500dually long box. No 1/2tons for me.

there is no such thing as "Overkill" lol

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last winter i got pulled over for the length of the over hang.

you may or may not know this.. anything 2ft past the tail lights has to have a red light on it for at night.

i also asked about the tie down of the sled. he was a sledder so he was very helpfull.

3 tie down spots have to be hit. so superclamp in the front. and one strap in the rear. and secure so it will not fall off in a bump or " minor accident" ie. rear end. hit the ditch ect. he said best way to be save is to run a strap under the rear bar and over the skid, so the suspension can move freely and that way there is no straps that will come loose.

didnt even mention that it was a 1500 hemi. with a sled deck and a sled on the deck.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last winter i got pulled over for the length of the over hang.

you may or may not know this.. anything 2ft past the tail lights has to have a red light on it for at night.

i also asked about the tie down of the sled. he was a sledder so he was very helpfull.

3 tie down spots have to be hit. so superclamp in the front. and one strap in the rear. and secure so it will not fall off in a bump or " minor accident" ie. rear end. hit the ditch ect. he said best way to be save is to run a strap under the rear bar and over the skid, so the suspension can move freely and that way there is no straps that will come loose.

didnt even mention that it was a 1500 hemi. with a sled deck and a sled on the deck.

2 feet....I thought it was 4 feet? or something like 1.3 meters or something......I know it is 4 feet for red flag in day time!

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 feet....I thought it was 4 feet? or something like 1.3 meters or something......I know it is 4 feet for red flag in day time!

nope.. upps error. .yes 4 ft.. because i was 2inches over it.. but most short box trucks, with a 162 or 163 have to have lights on the back of the sled. or a flag visible during the day. light at night

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
nope.. upps error. .yes 4 ft.. because i was 2inches over it.. but most short box trucks, with a 162 or 163 have to have lights on the back of the sled. or a flag visible during the day. light at night

I 'believe' its 1.5m in AB and 1.2m in BC...Flag in daylight, and red light at night.

Stupid that that laws are not the same in each province, loaded legal in AB drove over the border into BC and no longer legal...stupid...

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I 'believe' its 1.5m in AB and 1.2m in BC...Flag in daylight, and red light at night.

Stupid that that laws are not the same in each province, loaded legal in AB drove over the border into BC and no longer legal...stupid...

I have a 163 and I`m 3 feet to the end of the track......3 foot 5 inches to the end of the snow flap.....its to late at night and with my grade 6 education how many inches is 1.2 meters lol

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 163 and I`m 3 feet to the end of the track......3 foot 5 inches to the end of the snow flap.....its to late at night and with my grade 6 education how many inches is 1.2 meters lol

Grade 6 education is not an excuse, it's called Google.

1.2m = 48 inches

I told you this is your favorite subject.

mermaid

Reaction score
Don't be shy about stopping at any BC scale to get information on road safety.
It is what we do and we would rather teach you then fine you.. Now on the road is can be a differant story , as we wear more of an inforcement hat .
.. But most of you guys have a lot of $$$ into your sleds ( me two) and 99% of you do it just fine, make sure it will not move around short of a crash.
The rear overhang has been beat like a red headed step kid.. It is 1.2m or 4 ft flag at day red light at night.. And NO you can not put them on sideways ( seen that done more than once )
Pray for snow then we can ride and not bitch about the DOT Cheers Mermaid

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Flip your truck on its side, use your imagination... If the sled falls off you fail, stay on you pass. Same as inside your trailer. SHOULD NOT MOVE WHILE TIED DOWN. Dont try the " the strap is rated for 1500lbs" will not work. If your open deck is over 12 feet long you best have two tie down spots in the first 8 feet. So in a litteral sense on a 11 foot sled there should be. 3points of contact, the skis being counted as 1 point, one at the center of the skid and one more at the rear of the sled possibly from your rear bumper sucking the sled down. Go this route and you wont have an issue with ANY DOT.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is what we do and we would rather teach you then fine you.. Now on the road is can be a differant story , as we wear more of an inforcement hat .
.. But most of you guys have a lot of $$$ into your sleds ( me two) and 99% of you do it just fine, make sure it will not move around short of a crash.
The rear overhang has been beat like a red headed step kid.. It is 1.2m or 4 ft flag at day red light at night.. And NO you can not put them on sideways ( seen that done more than once )

thanks for the info Mermaid! just for the record.....are you DOT?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

what is wrong with asking? I would like to know if he knows what he is talking about or just guessing........it sounds like he works for DOT? and if so might have to stop by the scales in kamloops and ask for mermaid lol....that might get me a few tickets lol!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is wrong with asking? I would like to know if he knows what he is talking about or just guessing........it sounds like he works for DOT? and if so might have to stop by the scales in kamloops and ask for mermaid lol....that might get me a few tickets lol!
:Happy4: yeah, mermaid is a DOT. I brought up the same issue, I won't be stopping in at the kamloops scale asking for "mermaid"....lol.

ask for Peter....:D

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought you were going to say that the cop said its fine to have two heavy azz yamaha's not tied down with no flag or lights sticking 8 ft past the tail lights on a deck on a half ton with standard load tires partialy under inflated while drinking and watching a movie on an in dash dvd player while doing 60km over the posted limit........Or am I wrong?:d

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought you were going to say that the cop said its fine to have two heavy azz yamaha's not tied down with no flag or lights sticking 8 ft past the tail lights on a deck on a half ton with standard load tires partialy under inflated while drinking and watching a movie on an in dash dvd player while doing 60km over the posted limit........Or am I wrong?:d

..... while texting and eating a big mac

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thank you but one question??

When is the last time someones sled came flying off their truck????
Does this kill multiple people each year? or is it a fawcking money grabbing waste of our time???????

I see at least one un safe chitty tires lights out glass broken windows fogged car on the road every time I travel,,, thoose people are dangerous and should be pulled over but instead they pull over the guy traveling spending big money because he will pay the bill,,, lamo...

now I understand some people are rediculous but come on leave the sleds alone pull over the imigrant driving the big rig with his cousins license fawck....

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thank you but one question??

When is the last time someones sled came flying off their truck????
Does this kill multiple people each year? or is it a fawcking money grabbing waste of our time???????

I see at least one un safe chitty tires lights out glass broken windows fogged car on the road every time I travel,,, thoose people are dangerous and should be pulled over but instead they pull over the guy traveling spending big money because he will pay the bill,,, lamo...

now I understand some people are rediculous but come on leave the sleds alone pull over the imigrant driving the big rig with his cousins license fawck....

Mermaid aka Peter is offering us a service and vital information, I personally would like him to stick around. I'd appreciate it if you didn't attack him with idiotic questions/scenario's. If you truly feel strong about this issue, write a letter to some one higher up, no point shedding a tear here.

Thanks Peter for your input from the inside.

Last edited:
Top Bottom