Who makes the best bike? and why?

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ohh yes lots of choices! It just depends on what kind of riding you do and your budget. Those are all fairly good trail bikes but no doubt KTM, Husky and Honda are going to be priciest among that list.

Good luck !

Marauder01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one day,,, maybe i will step up to the plate with a 450 size... not for a good few years anyways....

but ladydirt, the crf230f doesnt have an oil filter.. (thumbs up)

drain oil, drain tranny, fill up!
10 mins in the driveway if you got a oil catcher! lol

always been a 4-stroke guy.. i know the 2-strokes are easy to work on.. but.. i dunno.. i like consistency in my power...

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the trail bikes are air-cooled so no need for engine oil filter! ;)

so yeah if you get a Honda 4 stroke (liquid cooled) your looking at changing 2 separate oil compartments each oil change, as well as engine oil filter change, and they LOVE to squeaky clean air filters too so I try to change it every 2nd time i change the oil. haha bye bye easy maintenance, hello performance !!:d

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Just cause they are air cooled doesn't mean no oil filter. My xr 400 has one as well as the trx 350 quad. Both air cooled with oil coolers as well. And I believe I have 3 points to drain on the xr. Crankcase, transmission and the reservoir in the frame. Only one fill point though.

Sent from my iPhone because dial-up sucks!

Marauder01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never said that ALL air cooled bikes dont have a oil filter...

just said that my crf230f doesnt have one...

it is the only engine i have ever actually played with that doesnt have one lol

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right off thumpertalk...

Honda CRF230

When you change your oil, behind the oil drain plug theres a screen, also Inside the right side engine cover there is a centrifugal oil filter that should be cleaned once a year. It's in the service manual.

Marauder01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i dont have the service manual...

and everyone i talked to on thumpertalk said there was no oil filter...

i guess i will figure it out when i do a teardown this winter

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Brother of mine has an 04 CR 250 that's been a real good bike for him. It was raced for one season by the dealership before he bought it. Still original piston and rings. Only real complaint was it had aluminum clutch plates. Burn through those real quick if ur an aggressive rider, and the tranny oil was always a pasty grey from them. Fixed that with steels tho.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I definitely liked the maintenance free aspect of the air-cooled 4 stroke trail bikes but its been a nice learning experience from working on the high performance bikes too. My Yamaha and KTM 2 strokes were pretty easy maintenance, but the Honda 4 strokes have two separate oil chambers that must be changed, one for transmission and one for engine. Most other 4 stroke brands only have 1 type of oil. It sucks when my bf and I plan the bike maintenance day because it takes me twice as long to change the friggin oil in my bike! lol. Not to mention the one added step with the 4 stroke is changing the oil filter every time too... so yeah, it is a long process but it's good experience nonetheless and it's a fantastic little bike so I really don't mind keeping up on the maintenance. Now that I have my own garage it's a little more convenient too I dont have to go to someone elses house to work on my bike :)

A couple things that might help. First off, if you change the engine oil frequently you'll only need to do the filter every other time, saves a few bucks. Second, if you use a shockproof heavy gear oil in the transmission you can go through three engine oil changes for every transmission oil change. I run Redline brand superlight shockproof gear oil (75w90), it's a bit hard to find but I know NAPA carries Redline stuff if they don't have it on the shelf you can order it. My wife has the same bike as you and I've run the HP4M-engine/ Redline-transmission combo since it was new ('07) and have had no engine issues so far.

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is one thing i noticed about the orange bikes... they do hold value well....

good luck buying a 2008 or newer 250 4-stroke for less than $5000.00

found ONE for $4500, but i had bought red by the time i found it lol

you just arent looking hard enough.... got mine for 3800....

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple things that might help. First off, if you change the engine oil frequently you'll only need to do the filter every other time, saves a few bucks. Second, if you use a shockproof heavy gear oil in the transmission you can go through three engine oil changes for every transmission oil change. I run Redline brand superlight shockproof gear oil (75w90), it's a bit hard to find but I know NAPA carries Redline stuff if they don't have it on the shelf you can order it. My wife has the same bike as you and I've run the HP4M-engine/ Redline-transmission combo since it was new ('07) and have had no engine issues so far.

Ya I'm using the HP4, and Gear saver for engine. Depending how much I ride I try to change the oil every 3rd ride but yeah I just wasn't honestly sure how often I should change the filter so I've done it every time i've done the oil, same with the air filter. Just would rather overdo it then under do it I guess lol.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have been selling the Yamaha and Suzuki since 1993, we have nt had any issues with any , as im sure the customers would let us know...

we did just pick up the HUSQVARNA line as they seem to be the movers and shakers with large model line up, well equipped from the factory with such things a akrapovic exhaust, brembo brakes etc..... so we have all the models and categories covered under one roof.... i researched the Husqvarna line and was impressed with real rider reports and feed back, as well as the quality of the bike itself and price points are very good...

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I've always been Intrigued about the Husqvarna bikes. Heard good about them, just never really seen them to much. I know I like their small power lineup.

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that anyone cares lol but in my opinion it all comes down to rider preferance, of course people are going to become biased ( most of the time) about the ride they are riding and think it is the best. all depends IMO what you like and works for you. I rode Honda my whole life and no problems what so ever then I bought a CRF 250R and the valves when out of spec 3 times in about 25 hours easy riding time so I decided to try something new and bought a brand new 2007 KTM XC-F 250 and love it and have not had any issues, regular maintence and it has been great, I love the feel of the bike and its great! KTM is my brand of choice at the moment! I have heard great things about all brands and bad things about all brands whatever you like and works for you is the best!:beer::beer:

Top Bottom