whats wrong

mikey1

Reaction score
went for some short rides on hard pack and some powder when there was some( did have some powder over the hood a few times). shut off the engine and went to restart a few minutes later and the couldn't pull the cord,like it was seized. pulled the spark plugs and they looked fine.waited a few minutes and then pulled the sled over and it ran but rough and would stall if left to idle. also when I push the start button for reverse the engine just stalls. I am new to sledding and do not where to start.
Sled is a 2007 Summit 800R

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like you may have gotten it hot, did you notice if the temp light came on. the sled needs snow in the tunnel coolers to cool. you may have melted the grease on the crankbearings, check to see if there is a grease film behind clutch. hopefully everything is ok.

mikey1

Reaction score
not sure how it was running before it was shut off as I let friend go for a rip. after he shut it off it did sound hot. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but I am hoping all is well

Silent Bob

Reaction score
I think shes done

X2 Hopefully not though

Mine did the same thing both times the engine was failing. 2007 800r Summit. First at 700 sled miles and the second at 1600 sled miles.

If you ride it any more, it will probably be a big failure. My second engine was stalling going into reverse and running rough and when it let go, it put a rod through the case.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a seize... she was hotter than a firecracker by the sounds of it. Melting the bearings sounds really possible too as i haven't heard of that before. Either way, tear it apart before doing more damage.. you don't want to lose that core charge for the jugs or the case if you do major damage...

Top Bottom