Whats the deal with helmet cams?

maxbed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got back from revy the other day and it seems like 1 in 2 riders all have these gopro cams or pov cams i just want to no whats the deal with that is it the newest fad just to make a guy look good or are you really putting all this footage on the internet ? and most the guys iv seen with them arent really that good or thet are never riding in any good areas!
just my 2 cents

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got back from revy the other day and it seems like 1 in 2 riders all have these gopro cams or pov cams i just want to no whats the deal with that is it the newest fad just to make a guy look good or are you really putting all this footage on the internet ? and most the guys iv seen with them arent really that good or thet are never riding in any good areas!
just my 2 cents

i have been thinkin the same ... i do not enjoy watching a helmet cam video it almost makes me car sick ... i think its awesome guys want to get video but i just think the go pro doesnt do any justice to what a guy is actually riding... to me the only time i think it makes good video is if you are following somebody imo

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are great if you can get more than one point of view so if you and your riding buddies have them then you get a better outcome.

maxbed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i guess they would work alright if you were filming another rider cause most of the videos iv seen the camera is never pointed at the right angle but still there is alot of shitty footage out there but whatevs

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like looking back at some of the stuff I've done, and that's how I capture it.

sent from a phone

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i like to be able to go back and watch what sick stuff i did in the day and to show my buddies that couldnt come or have never been to the mtns what its like on the top of the world

Reactions: RXN

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be buying the new gopro the next time I go to town. Why? Because the most fun I ever have is when I'm sledding. Sledding is all I ever talk about. So I want to show the people that don't sled what it's like, and if I do something sweet on the sled but know body seen then I can show them. if I am
Talking to somebody sometime
About sledding I have videos to show them. I can look back at them and during the summer I have some memories to look back on. I think they're a great idea.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the that I can say "have you been to the Dakota crash site at Crowsnest Pass? Well here is the video I took". It will give them an idea of what to expect if they go there and now that I have a sled might try in winter to get both aspects. My Drift camera is mounted under the visor so its a centered view so its what I'm looking at.

Dakota crash site crowsnest pass - YouTube

Last edited:

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like to rub it in to my riding partners that couldn't come :beer:
That being said most of the time I watch them in high speed cut out the 2 or 3 good looking clips and put together a 3 min video of a year of riding. Most of the crap on you tube is not edited well. But I've seen a few that take the time to take out all the boring stuff and make kind of a "highlight" reel they are worth watching. I've seen clips on here of none pros that I would rather watch than listen on how to be stooled again and again and again and again :plugears:

Brojoe

Reaction score
I thought I would never buy one, but i got one for Xmas, from my son, who is to young to ride out west. He wants to see where dad goes and why i like it so much.

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a Drift HD 170 Action Cam for Christmas and can't wait to use it !!! Friends of ours took a quadding video of us last year and it was awesome to see, played back to a tune. My Grandma dosen't understand my want or enjoyment from playing in the mud............now I can show her the fun we have !!!

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use one so I can share my rides with family members that don't sled. They don't understand why I love it so much. I may not do crazy jumps or climb massive hills, but what I do, I enjoy, and that's what its all about !!! Isn't it????? :D

Blecter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like watching helmet cam videos more so than regular ones usually, because it gives me that "in the seat" feeling (I have a good imagination haha). If someone actually takes the time to setup their camera properly, and then take the time to edit the footage well then you can get some really great video. Problem is that many people just slap them on and go, then don't understand why their footage sucks.

I'm rocking a ContourGPS this year.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
flabbajabba said it well! The whole video concept is in the editing and if one doesn't take the time to seriously edit all the clips of the day then the video generally is very boring. The guy going down the trail for 5 minutes with a few little jumps or a little burst through the trees isn't a captivating video. I'm no expert but amateur videos should be about 3 minutes or less long with a series of short clips (3 seconds to maybe at the most 30 seconds long).

The great videos the professionals make with the helicopters and many different camera positions are unattainable for us mortals; Nice to watch and a nice yardstick to measure one's own progress. Even with the best of cameras we won't attain the footage that 509 Films or the Krazy Canadians get. It is fun to try tho'.......

I'm gonna buy one.....just haven't decide which one yet!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Helmet cams have been around for several years. The technology they stick in these little units wasn't even near what it is today when they came out.

Most of them now shoot in 1080 which for internet viewing is beyond what they need to be. Youtube vids are fine at 720. Most new ones have the ability to shoot great still shots, record hours of filming and be used in a mutiple angles and mounting positions. As mentioned, filming is only half of it. The better results come from someone who invests the time to put together a video of clips and add some creativity. You have to have a little time free to do this.

X Games and many of these new motorsports shows record their broadcasts on near %50 of GoPro and other like cameras. POV or helmet cams give the viewer a different perspective on the subject. You know those X rated POV internet flicks you like, same idea, just not X rated. Some people like to carry video cameras, or higher end SLP cameras that film in HD to share their experiences with friends. Now with a little tiny camera you can almost get the same result.

A trail ride is not helmet cam worthy in my opinion, but maybe that its what the person is interested in. I am not going to knock them for that. We use them mounted on dirtbikes, sleds, street bikes and people mount them on boats, take them sky diving, surfing, diving and so on.

Not everyone wants to share every aspect of their life on a social networking site, some people just like to create a little memory for themselves. Why do people take pictures in the first place? Usually to document a life experience, to have something to share. With video the moment doesn't have to be frozen.

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like to rub it in to my riding partners that couldn't come :beer:
That being said most of the time I watch them in high speed cut out the 2 or 3 good looking clips and put together a 3 min video of a year of riding. Most of the crap on you tube is not edited well. But I've seen a few that take the time to take out all the boring stuff and make kind of a "highlight" reel they are worth watching. I've seen clips on here of none pros that I would rather watch than listen on how to be stooled again and again and again and again :plugears:
sorry forgot to quote this.

Top Bottom