whats a good truck for a teenager?

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Ford Ranger with a 4 cylinder engine would get great fuel economy and be a reasonably priced unit in a good used category and haul stuff around for you.

X2. Or a Dakota with a v6. They're not great on fuel, but they're not too bad.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on the Toyota. Or maybe a Mazda. Great little trucks that run a long time. They are a bit more money than say a Chevy S10 or S15 but not as many headaches. Four cylinders are gonna be gutless. V6 and up are tough on gas. Unfortunately no such thing as an economical P/U truck. Don't worry about the Fat Chicks jokes Joey. It's probably coming from guys who drive the lifted 4x4s for that exact reason....or maybe it's so their fat girlfriends can't get in and they have to leave em at home...saves the embarrassment of being seen with them..:d:beer:

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teeroy had a good point way back. Those ford 1/2 tons with the straight six are damned near bullet proof. Fair on fuel and hauling a sled would be a non-issue.

Chevs are thirsty machines, there is no doubt.

You will find something, just take your time and get something nice for the year, they are out there.

i know their thirsty trucks! some of the biggest pigs ever! but i'll trust my life to a chevy , no fords.

hippiekiller

Reaction score
If your looking for more of a hard workin off road 4x rig I would definitely recommend a late 90's yota, out there on the island you see a lot of solid front axle conversions which are super dope....If you looking for power and want to haul stuff, not to mention reliability, 1st gen dodge diesel all the way!

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your looking for more of a hard workin off road 4x rig I would definitely recommend a late 90's yota, out there on the island you see a lot of solid front axle conversions which are super dope....If you looking for power and want to haul stuff, not to mention reliability, 1st gen dodge diesel all the way!

TEENAGER , i work for min wage dude! i dont have 12 k!

deffinately looking at a toyota tho! lots of them around! not many on kijiji here on the island tho , haven't checked craiglist

my dad has a cummins and loves it , thinking of selling it if anyones interested! custom dump box and headache rack! sweet truck with tons of power.

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heres two! 1500 takes them BOTH! ones rusty with like new motor and the other is little rust with not so good motor:( and it says trade for motorcycle , both of the trucks are still road worthy! should i move on this?

Bill Daley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Joey if you must have a truck take your time and really look around.Take your dad with you for his experience.

really there's not a lot of difference in what you find out there today.The preference issue becomes something that sells a lot more vehicles than dependability.You will find lots who will drive nothing but a chev or ford but the main thing is dependability. They all can be damn expensive when you have to put money into them.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for trading the bike, you got a damned good deal on those, I would hesitate to get rid of it.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
next question , should i offer my dirt bike on trade??? i get my real license in august so wouldn't be long.

why would you trade the bike? hold onto it. in 2 months you wont evenbe drivin the truck as the bike will rock it on the island.
jmo. but i would wait for a bit and keep looking, even if you get a truck now remember you will still have to save fro ins, maintenance, inspection, any repairs deemed necessary by the inspection, most vehicles in your price range will most likely have an extensive list of repairs to pass insp. especialy for bc.
you will be able to ride the bike full time in a couple months no problem, wait till fall to get your truck, save up and youll have alot more of a choice on what to get rather than picking up somebody elses headache. jmo.

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2000 GMC not 4x4 but fill the box with snow and you are good to go. dont know if this helps.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know their thirsty trucks! some of the biggest pigs ever! but i'll trust my life to a chevy , no fords.
I trust my life to a ford my first truck when i turned 16 was a 81 f150 inline six that truck has over 300000km now and is beat to chit and it still runs like a top. my brothers first truck was a 91 chev 2500 left the yard once blew the headgaskets out of it and it wont run. just saying cough cough ford.

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I trust my life to a ford my first truck when i turned 16 was a 81 f150 inline six that truck has over 300000km now and is beat to chit and it still runs like a top. my brothers first truck was a 91 chev 2500 left the yard once blew the headgaskets out of it and it wont run. just saying cough cough ford.

thats your opinion.

ive never had any trouble with chevy , my dad bought a brand new ford in 86 , he put 4 grand into the front end and it still wouldn't go strait down the road!:eek: another time when my family moved from the island to ontario 12 years ago the truck broke down 4 times before they even left the island!:eek: and overheated the whole way! why the heck would i want one?

just my opinion

i think i will hold onto the bike , i'm gonna be bored this summer and have time to ride , makes sense thanks guys!

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
thats your opinion.

ive never had any trouble with chevy , my dad bought a brand new ford in 86 , he put 4 grand into the front end and it still wouldn't go strait down the road!:eek: another time when my family moved from the island to ontario 12 years ago the truck broke down 4 times before they even left the island!:eek: and overheated the whole way! why the heck would i want one?

just my opinion

i think i will hold onto the bike , i'm gonna be bored this summer and have time to ride , makes sense thanks guys!

:eek:...With a attitude like that :rolleyes:... U sure U are ready for a vehicle ?

Top Bottom