Chevrolet takes another step toward the end of gasoline engines.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

Future Cars: The Chevy Silverado EV Will Bring the Thunder to Ford's Lightning​

Chevrolet takes another step toward the end of gasoline engines.​

Aaron GoldAuthorManufacturerPhotographer
Jul 22, 2021
WHAT IT IS: Chevrolet's first battery-powered full-size electric pickup truck.

WHY IT MATTERS: If General Motors is to make good on its promise to (probably) eliminate internal combustion engines by 2035, its popular and profitable full-size pickups will have to go electric. And the company needs to do it soon: Tesla has proven what an electric startup can do to traditional automakers, and Rivian is planning on a September 2021 launch for its R1T pickup. Meanwhile, Ford plans to put the 2023 F-150 Lightning into production in the spring of 2022. Electric pickups might be a hard sell for hardcore truck owners, who tend to be conservative in their mechanical druthers, which is probably why GM will lead the electric truck charge with the 2022 GMC Hummer EV.

2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4×4 RST 6 2L 29
2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4×4 RST 6 2L 29

SEE ALL 2 PHOTOS
PLATFORM AND POWERTRAINS: The Silverado EV will share its powertrain with the GMC Hummer EV pickup, but while the Hummer's distinctive styling screams "early adopter," the electric Silverado will wear more traditional pickup garb. Chevrolet has not announced powertrain information, but it will offer the electric Silverado in both fleet and consumer models, built alongside the Hummer EVs at GM's new Factory Zero. We expect the Silverado EV will offer dual- and triple-motor setups like the Hummer, and perhaps even a low-cost single-motor powertrain. GM announced the electric Silverado will offer up to 400 miles of range, and the automaker, and partner LG, are already at work on the next-generation Ultium battery. It promises better energy density and therefore greater range.

ESTIMATED PRICE: EVs typically sell for a premium over their internal combustion counterparts. But as the electric Silverado strategy includes work and fleet trucks, the pricing needs to be lower than the GMC Hummer EV pickup's starting sum of $79,995. We imagine Ford's starting price of $41,669 for the F-150 Lightning will be a good target.

EXPECTED ON-SALE DATE: The Hummer EV Edition 1 comes this fall, with less expensive versions to follow in 2022. We imagine the Silverado EV's arrival won't be far behind.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope they start putting in more charging stations and the folks buying these units upgrade their home electrical systems

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was talking to a Ford dealer about their electric Mustang Mach E, he said people can finance in the cost of setting up their home electrical for a proper home charging unit within the selling price of the vehicle. However, he did not state whether that would include upgrading a 100amp service electrical box that are in homes today, or the wiring to the house that will carry the extra current. Lots of unknowns for the consumer buying an electric car.

About fueling, or charging in this case. Look around, gas stations everywhere. Most spend 5 to 15 minutes at a gas station refueling their vehicles. How long does an electric vehicle need to spend at a charging station to fully charge? How many chargers are we going to need then? Do we have an electrical system to support that? The 36C days we had in Calgary had AESO asking people to not use appliances that use lots of electricity during the peak times of those hottest days. For the first time, that included "do not charge your electric vehicles" as part of the cautionary warning.

Last, consider an 8 year old gasoline or diesel fueled vehicle, it will still achieve the same mileage at 8yrs old as it did new, maybe even slightly better. But an electric vehicle loses battery capacity over time. Ford's new electric Lightning has stated in the vehicle specs that the battery is warrantied for 8yrs, 100 000 miles to have a charge capacity remaining of 70%. The electric vehicle loses 30% of it capacity (which equals range) in 8 years.

Can someone explain, how electric vehicles are better for us? Or how it is that society is demanding such vehicles??

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was talking to a Ford dealer about their electric Mustang Mach E, he said people can finance in the cost of setting up their home electrical for a proper home charging unit within the selling price of the vehicle. However, he did not state whether that would include upgrading a 100amp service electrical box that are in homes today, or the wiring to the house that will carry the extra current. Lots of unknowns for the consumer buying an electric car.

About fueling, or charging in this case. Look around, gas stations everywhere. Most spend 5 to 15 minutes at a gas station refueling their vehicles. How long does an electric vehicle need to spend at a charging station to fully charge? How many chargers are we going to need then? Do we have an electrical system to support that? The 36C days we had in Calgary had AESO asking people to not use appliances that use lots of electricity during the peak times of those hottest days. For the first time, that included "do not charge your electric vehicles" as part of the cautionary warning.

Last, consider an 8 year old gasoline or diesel fueled vehicle, it will still achieve the same mileage at 8yrs old as it did new, maybe even slightly better. But an electric vehicle loses battery capacity over time. Ford's new electric Lightning has stated in the vehicle specs that the battery is warrantied for 8yrs, 100 000 miles to have a charge capacity remaining of 70%. The electric vehicle loses 30% of it capacity (which equals range) in 8 years.

Can someone explain, how electric vehicles are better for us? Or how it is that society is demanding such vehicles??
Good luck in the winter when u have to warm up your vehicle b 4 travel to/from work as well. Oh wait all employers are gonna get heated parking for there employee's or they think people will take the slug in a non existent slug service metropolis. The utopian nightmare this chit is creating is just that a Nightmare with hopes/dreams beyond human comprehension without spending a boat load to just upgrade your home electric grid never mind the charging stations you would need. Plus those of us that go into the backcountry could never use these as they would be ranged out b 4 we even got there. I get it with EV,s but the media hype/all these bazillonaires/there companys pushing this chit is getting outrageous.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All of these chitty EV’s have such a long way to go before they become anywhere near as practical as current vehicles. When they can charge in the time it takes me to fill a tank of fuel, get the same distance as a tank of fuel, stay warm in the winter, get the same battery life in all weather conditions known to man, etc. then I might consider one. Until then, it ain’t ever happening.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
400 mile range at 70% after 8 years is 280 mile range.
This is optimum with the truck empty.

Mabe get 200 in the winter if you turn the ELECTRIC heater on.
Never get to my farm and back without a recharge.
Now hook on your 4 place trailer!!!
Good idea but not even close unless it is just a big comuter car???

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
400 mile range at 70% after 8 years is 280 mile range.
This is optimum with the truck empty.

Mabe get 200 in the winter if you turn the ELECTRIC heater on.
Never get to my farm and back without a recharge.
Now hook on your 4 place trailer!!!
Good idea but not even close unless it is just a big comuter car???
Genny running on the sled deck plugged in and charging while motion mode lol

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where ever there is natural gas, you will see natural gas powered gen sets and I can assure you the charging will not be free. Has anyone read or seen the study on how to charge all these batteries? Ah, not to worry. It will balance itself out like the budget!

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There is absolutely no reason you need more than a 100amp service to own an EV.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is absolutely no reason you need more than a 100amp service to own an EV.
I call your bluff

My house has 200 Amp, and my shop has 100 Amp

Both are full, and meaning full

Here in da moose, we have no natural gas, so base boards and all is power

And actually in my shop, when I added the hot tub, going off of the breaker size, I'm over 100 amps buy alot if everything was on at the same time including the base boards

I'm pretty sure the hole area around here be the same way, as all electric heat and appliances is the norm

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I call your bluff

My house has 200 Amp, and my shop has 100 Amp

Both are full, and meaning full

Here in da moose, we have no natural gas, so base boards and all is power

And actually in my shop, when I added the hot tub, going off of the breaker size, I'm over 100 amps buy alot if everything was on at the same time including the base boards

I'm pretty sure the hole area around here be the same way, as all electric heat and appliances is the norm

Do you have a welder plug in your shop?

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess the problem Johnny is that most existing 100 amp services in most houses are full. There is no room to add anything but I'm not an electrician who looks into panels everyday. So maybe......

Adding panel space is easy and cheap. Alberta houses are mostly 100 amp services , but gas heated. Air conditioning and Hot tubs will bring that load to near the limit without a smart charger for a car. BC should be ok with 200 amp service that includes electric heat. The breaker load is probably not balanced if a 200 amp breaker trips.(easy free fix)

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just heard today that the new 2022 Tundra's will be a hybrid. The big V8 is gone

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did Toyota ever have a big V8? Maybe big to Toyota but not big compared to the big three American stand bys.
381HP and 410 pounds of torque is a decent V8. And I certainly would put my Tundra up against a similar size Ford, Chevy, or Dodge

Top Bottom