What to watch for on 08 XP 800

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up an 08 XP with 1800 miles that looked to be in good shape. What are some of the quirks for that year that you guys are finding? It looks like all the updates are done (drive shaft, etc.). Any other inherent problems I should be watching for? I want to go over this thing with a fine toothed comb so I start the riding season off right. Track has been replaced with a non-punched, there is a great vent kit and the foam is out.

Cheers.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I picked up an 08 XP with 1800 miles that looked to be in good shape. What are some of the quirks for that year that you guys are finding? It looks like all the updates are done (drive shaft, etc.). Any other inherent problems I should be watching for? I want to go over this thing with a fine toothed comb so I start the riding season off right. Track has been replaced with a non-punched, there is a great vent kit and the foam is out.

Cheers.

Sounds like it has eveything done. The only thing I noticed with mine is that the oil cap would leak. The fix was to replace the tank with an 2010 replacemant which the dealer did under warrenty.
I would also run it with scratchers. I will be adding them to mine this season. They still tend to run too hot.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cheers.

Speaking from having the experience of changing my S module this summer I would recommend some reenforcement braces for both the A-Arms and the clutch tower. A few dollars and hours spent shoring up the weak points can save a lot of headache in the future!

finndoo

Reaction score
Stock clutching is horrible in the hills, get a good clutch kit( DJ or Roosterbuilt) and the alignment of the clutches is not so good even if you go to BRP specs. You can purchase a shim kit with new specs for about 65.00 from a guy on Dootalk, they call him revman. After these changes belts will last and she will climb like she should. There were some early build 08's that had poor metal for the rave valves, the ears would break and chaos would happen to the engine. There are new updated valves from BRP that would avoid these troubles.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cheers.

Motor mounts are weak on the 08's get a brace for clutch side. Sled Shed in Revy has them and there are other aftermarket braces as well. The mount holes were oval and after time allow movment = clutches out of alignment= blown belts. The 09's and 10's are not a problem. Might want to add a SLP filter to the airbox, When your in deep pow and carve on the left side in the right conditions they will starve for air. Other than that you got a great sled 1st year of XP the sled that put the rest of the industry on their a$$es. Do the Doo:beer::d

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cheers.

Things I think are must haves:
-Get the updated spring cover assembly "part#: 417222759". The 08's suck and it will wear out in a few 100 miles causing clutch wear and heat elsewhere. Cost only 63 bucks.
-Next get the DJ clutch kit with ramps, about 350 + shipping I believe. He's having some deal right now.
-Get a 20 or 19 tooth top gear, about 20 bucks through Team industries.
-Vent kit, about 100 bucks for xxxmodrods.
-Set up your suspension correctly. This makes huge differences and it's free!
-Scratchers, about 50 bucks.
-As you said, remove all foam, plastic sound shield between can and engine, etc.

NotoriousNRB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
word, i'm also looking into an 08 xp...

should i be pushin the dollar a little further and go for an 09?? sounds like alot of stupid little problems with these sleds.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

should i be pushin the dollar a little further and go for an 09?? sounds like alot of stupid little problems with these sleds.

I have a 08. All updates done and I ride with a 09 they are the same IMO. I did buy the clutch kit,pipe ,Y-pipe,can. But I would have either way. The price on nice 08 is less than I'd let mine go for now.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score

I got an 08 and all the upgrades were warranty. I have yet to have a single issue aside from the sled running to hot. Its never overheated on me but they definitely need vent kits and scratchers. Oh ya I did clutch mine as well.

Attachments

• sled 014.jpg
    sled 014.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 843

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Things I think are must haves:
-Get the updated spring cover assembly "part#: 417222759". The 08's suck and it will wear out in a few 100 miles causing clutch wear and heat elsewhere. Cost only 63 bucks.
-Next get the DJ clutch kit with ramps, about 350 + shipping I believe. He's having some deal right now.
-Get a 20 or 19 tooth top gear, about 20 bucks through Team industries.
-Vent kit, about 100 bucks for xxxmodrods.
-Set up your suspension correctly. This makes huge differences and it's free!
-Scratchers, about 50 bucks.
-As you said, remove all foam, plastic sound shield between can and engine, etc.

I've got scratchers on it, foam is out, vent kit in. What is the spring cover assembly exactly? I'm not sure what you are referring to. I'll crack the chain case soon to see what gearing it has. It seems to me a lot of dealers were changing to a 20 tooth on warranty when they came out; part of the belt eating issue.

I'm surprised to hear about the frame reinforcement as listed in the above posts. That does not impress me.

How many kms/miles are guys going before a ring job or top end is needed? Any thoughts on why this sled would be in miles if it is not an American sled? It made me suspicious of the mileage, like someone had the gauges unplugged, but the chassis is in such good shape it doesn't look like it was miled out.

King

Reaction score
I have an 08 with 3300 miles (not km) on it and I just pulled the engine apart and it wasn't too bad. Might have got another 500 miles out of the rings. Rebuilt it anyway. I have the vent kit, boss seat, piped and remapped. I also changed out the rear shock to a fox, but that was my preference and could be done on any ski-doo (they all come with a rear shock that sucks) Oh ya I changed out the primary and secondary clutch but again my choice, an alignment would probably suffice. the difference you would have between an 09 and 08 would probably make all the changes you would want. Plus on the 09 you would still need the vent kit and rear shock and have to tweek the clutch. Just my thoughts.

trials rider

Reaction score
i havent had any problems with my 08 and i wouldnt say i treat it nice. poor sled haha

one issue to watch for is a fraying oil cable not so fun to change.

and the oil cap did leak i put my little nylon insert and cap from my rev. but before that it just made me mad but didnt leak that bad.

cant think of any problems that i have had that arent just normal wear and tear.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine and a few other '08 XPs have had the front heat exchanger come loose, might be something to check as well. found it was loose at around 1000 miles, rivets had worn and ovaled the holes. used panhead bolts and nylock nuts to repair

Y pipe bolts loosening off have always been a problem with the 'doos, if it hasn't been done yet grab some nord lock washers and you won't have to worry about it. mine fell out at around 500 miles.

check the rear drop brackets for cracks, noticed mine were both cracked at around 1500 miles, after both rear link rods broke.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it has eveything done. The only thing I noticed with mine is that the oil cap would leak. The fix was to replace the tank with an 2010 replacemant which the dealer did under warrenty.
I would also run it with scratchers. I will be adding them to mine this season. They still tend to run too hot.

x2 on the oil cap leaking other than that sounds like you got it all and yes run scratchers on it

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a set of stock XP drops laying around if anyone needs some...just sayin'.....

burkard440

Reaction score
Bought my 08 146 new and 1700 miles later still running strong, few mods I've done... made my own rear axle kit and moved my wheels to the inside, ice scratchers, smaller upper sprocket, put 2010 summit clutching in, ODI grips ( mine were bald after 500 miles ), HPS silencer, doubled up o-rings inside my oil cap to keep it from leaking, and put 2 of those little hexagon panel vents from BRP in my airbox just to let it breath some more... I keep a close eye on my belt deflection and I am still running the same 377 belt that it left the dealership with. Been very very happy with it, only thing is my wife will now be riding it and I hope my new e-tec will live up to its name!

rotaxsummit

Reaction score
if your xp's are over heating call engine tech get their aluminum thermesat housing and a thermostat for a 05 800 ho and it will cure your problems the xp thermostat doesnt open till 180 degrees and the rev opens at 120 degrees were the xp makes its power

Top Bottom