What GPS are you using??

PJ440x

Reaction score
Ive tried to search this with no real luck. Maybe I need help with searching topics!! So I'm picking up an XM within the next week if all goes well. I would like to get to know the areas I ride without depending on others too much on where I am. And it wouldnt hurt to have one if everything goes for ch!t. I was thinking that the Garmin setup is nice from skidoo which also gives you a little more storage with that mount. I have a Garmin 60c now but it has a fairly small screen and would like to upgrade. Just wondering how many guys are buying these and have used them? Are there better gps's for equal coin? I heard that there is a GPS that acts as wakie talkies if your buddies also use them?

Also was thinking if I get this Brp gps that it will give me an excuse to perhaps buy the Commander in the spring so it can be easily mount there like the limited's have. Lol:eek:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use ski tracks app on my iPhone. Its $0.99 and is amazingly accurate, I checked it this summer while quading with another gps, and the longitude and latitude where the same. It's a cool app and has lots of cool features.

vans

Reaction score
To bad where we go sledding there is not one bar of signal on cell phones. Lots of guys use the garmin 520-530 rino with built in walkie talkies. Try to get the American version buy ordering from cabelas out of the states which will give you a 5 watt signal instead of a 2 watt like the same Canadian gps will have. Just my opioin though

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run a Garmin rhino 530Hcx. Best GPS I have had. Use it sledding, hunting, hiking, and quading. has a radio and weather channels built in. If your buddies have a Garmin rhino as well when your talking with them thru the radio it shows there location on the map. they dont make this style anymore but the new ones are touch screen, buddy just bought the 655t rhino. Seems pretty nice so far. JMO.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rhino's so you can see where your buddies are stuck!

Reactions: RXN

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To bad where we go sledding there is not one bar of signal on cell phones. Lots of guys use the garmin 520-530 rino with built in walkie talkies. Try to get the American version buy ordering from cabelas out of the states which will give you a 5 watt signal instead of a 2 watt like the same Canadian gps will have. Just my opioin though

You don't need cell service! This is forester last feb. But I don't think I would trust it as much as a real gps.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Garmin Rino 530 US model, but the mic for the radio portion has f-ed up twice now. Sent it back under warranty for repair the first time and it did the same thing again. I have to carry another FRS radio to talk to anyone.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Magellan 610.. canada version with High definition subscription to favorite area's. Works fantastic, hard to believe how far gps's have come...

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Using a touch screen Garmin Oregon. Very nice unit for the price. Have Backroads mapbook on the SD card. Shows all the major sled/hiking/biking trails and all the other stuff you'll find in the mapbook itself. What ever unit you get make sure you can upgrade / change the map software, typically on a SD card. I'd talk to the guys at Discover GPS on Gateway and Argyll. They al;so specialize in oilfeld GPS, and cutline reference maps. Very handy if you want to get off the beaten path.
I usually carry it my jacket pocket but going to use my Ram mount and fix it to the sled handle bar proper.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been using the 530hcx for 4 years and bought the 650 to try this year. It's awesome being able to see where others in your group are. Even helped locate a fella in revy last year who got in a serious pickle and he was the only one in his group with a rino.

Last edited:

paulw22

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a garmin Colorado, it is the best one I have had, nice screen, 3d viewer, roller button for selection. The only bad thing is the Battery life, if it is cold the batteries at 12bucks a round dont last the day. I hade a Etrex prior to this and it would last 3 times longer. With the etrex I had it on all the time, the new one I cannot do that, so maybe the bells and whistles are not worth it. Or put a 12v kit on the sled. Any how I like mine, just not the battery thing.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked up the Garmin eTrex 30 for sledding. Have no idea how to work it. If anyone know how this unit works, wanna give me a lesson or two? Been lost once while sledding... wasn't fun.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two gps-both Garmin.
One is the cheapest one they make, the etrex, which I bought 7 years ago and the other is probably the next level or two up from the cheapest which I found in the bush!
They both work great and all I use them for is following my tracks, saving waypoints like cabins and gas drops and so I can find my way home especially when it gets socked in. Never found a use for anything more.
I would like to get a two way/gps combo and was looking at the Rhino 530. A 5 watt yankee one. Looks to be the best combo unit out there.

Attachments

• cf-md.jpg
    cf-md.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Top Bottom