Watch your fuel purchases at the Shell

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up...I will confirm tomorrow....BUT tonight we filled our sleds at Shell...91 premium. I took note of the litres on the pump and Kibbles was running the throttle...told him to put exactly 20l in my jerry can. So he does. We head to the hotel and we are having a cigar and a beer in the trailer and I look at the jerry can....it's only 3/4 full! We talk about it. We both remember the pump was at 37.8l after topping up both sleds and I asked him to stop at 55l so I would have room for my octane boost in my 20l jerry can. Well I got room...about 5 or 6 litres of room! Anyways, not sure if the Shell people are purposely skimming the sledders (who else uses premium here?) or maybe the pump is FUBAR....but I am going to confirm tomorrow after we ride. Watch your litres kids!

Gforce21

Reaction score
I had an instance at fas gas in millet with diesel where the pump was off about 4% after a bunch of phone calls to their parent company I was told that the pumps were fine and there was nothing they could do for me. I'm not buying fuel there anymore.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up...I will confirm tomorrow....BUT tonight we filled our sleds at Shell...91 premium. I took note of the litres on the pump and Kibbles was running the throttle...told him to put exactly 20l in my jerry can. So he does. We head to the hotel and we are having a cigar and a beer in the trailer and I look at the jerry can....it's only 3/4 full! We talk about it. We both remember the pump was at 37.8l after topping up both sleds and I asked him to stop at 55l so I would have room for my octane boost in my 20l jerry can. Well I got room...about 5 or 6 litres of room! Anyways, not sure if the Shell people are purposely skimming the sledders (who else uses premium here?) or maybe the pump is FUBAR....but I am going to confirm tomorrow after we ride. Watch your litres kids!

Nice....

Good thing u have tons of pocket change to pay the extra lol. :beer::beer::beer:

from my HTC

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep my buddy filled a jerry can at husky and he said it took 28 litres to fill WTF!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My jerry cans hold more too though,

Leave them half full in the hot sun and they balloon pretty good..

I'm curious to your findings Dave.

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys goggle thermal expansion of gasoline, it might answer some Q. There's lots of talk out there on this subject. Buy fuel at night cause u get 1% more cause it expands when it warms up ect.
Might save alot of decusion with gas station owners.
Don't know alot about it just what i read goggling.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i buy premium at the costco stn, cheaper, imperial fuel, and they have high turn over rate, 2 tanks week minimum so i was told.

not sure dave but the pumps are inspected and volumes are checked. may have been off, but are set to pump a measured volume at 20deg C. maybe dutch litres are smaller than canadian, US gallon sure is.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Every time I fill jerry cans I put 28l in 25 l jugs.Doesn't seem to matter where ,they all rip you off!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every time I fill jerry cans I put 28l in 25 l jugs.Doesn't seem to matter where ,they all rip you off!
Or your jerry cans have expanded. Pumps should have a decal on them from Measurement Canada. They are supposed to be inspected and tested on a regular basis. If you have a complaint, here is where you go: File a Complaint - Measurement Canada

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i buy premium at the costco stn, cheaper, imperial fuel, and they have high turn over rate, 2 tanks week minimum so i was told.

not sure dave but the pumps are inspected and volumes are checked. may have been off, but are set to pump a measured volume at 20deg C. maybe dutch litres are smaller than canadian, US gallon sure is.
it's actually 60F, or 15.5C standard for temperature/volume in both the US and Canada, I took a break from trucking for a few years back in the 90's and built gas stations for a while. learned a lot....

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's actually 60F, or 15.5C standard for temperature/volume in both the US and Canada, I took a break from trucking for a few years back in the 90's and built gas stations for a while. learned a lot....

good ill hire you when I have to build one in fort mac

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good ill hire you when I have to build one in fort mac
nah, I'm done with that stuff. it was a good gig tho, paid great. we started out doing reclaimation of contaminated sites, removing old steel tanks and systems that had way been past their useful service and leaking like crazy. one of the bigger ones we did was in Edmonton on the Yellowhead, it was an old bulk station and Esso and McDonalds wanted to reclaim it and build a gas station and restaurant there. it cost them millions. when we dug it down you could see the layer of hydrocarbons that went well beyond the property and under the city heading south. there are prime old fuel station properties all over Alberta and western Canada that sit because no one wants to pay the cleanup fees to do anything with them. if a guy could design a machine that took contaminated dirt in one end and spit out clean fill out the other, it would be a license to print money.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you ever think to fill yor gas can to the 25 /20/10/5 litre mark on the can and check it. or do ya just fill it up and use the air space over the measured line. guess common sense isn't common. hehe you guys make me laugh.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went back but got a different pump and got 20 litres this time....I guess the lesson is to just pay attention to what you are getting.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gonna have to take my gas cans back only got 22.4 litres in a 20 litre can wtf. just can't get good products anymore hehe. damed xp just dosen't use much gas, ran it all day, used 16 litres. friggin workin sucks, although running a sled while working is a little better. need a new windshild now though. friggin frozen saskabush ice crusted snow banks. who do i sue.

Last edited:

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you ever think to fill yor gas can to the 25 /20/10/5 litre mark on the can and check it. or do ya just fill it up and use the air space over the measured line. guess common sense isn't common. hehe you guys make me laugh.
i was gonna post the same thing...:beer:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gonna have to take my gas cans back only got 22.4 litres in a 20 litre can wtf. just can't get good products anymore hehe. damed xp just doen't use much gas, ran it all day, used 16 litres. friggin workin sucks, although running a sled while working is a little better. need a new windshild now though. friggin frozen saskabush ice cruted snow banks. who do i sue.

If you only used 16 litres a day its not because your sled is that good on fuel. You need to set your purse down and push that little flipper on the right side closer to the handlebar. Ride that thing and she will use fuel.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you only used 16 litres a day its not because your sled is that good on fuel. You need to set your purse down and push that little flipper on the right side closer to the handlebar. Ride that thing and she will use fuel.

hmm. don't even take extra gas anymore, the ol xp sips gas. although while workin it rarly sees anything above 7000 rpm. lots of stops starts. 300ft at a time. and tough to open it up, with lath flyin all over the place. thus no need to open er up as ya say. 2 days used less than 20 litres friggin cheap on gas is wha ti'd say.

Top Bottom