warren 2.5 winch

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all with more knowledge than me, Recently my winch quit going out with the thumb switch but it will come back in. I had the dealer look at it and they determined that the winch itself is screwed. Any ideas on how to fix it or would it be cheaper to buy a new one.

Thanks for any info.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you kept the receipt, it should be covered by warantee......but if your like me you probably didnt:mad:, and will have to pay to get it fixed. my dealer sent mine away (for a different problem) and i got a quote before they fixed it. The ring gear cost 200, so i just payed for it. cant you just reverse the wires on the winch motor to test to see if the swith itself is working?

if you end up sending it away and getting a quote just remember it might be cheaper to get a new winch, (sometime you can find them for 300) and you wont need any of the wiring or electrical stuff if it is the winch itself that cratored.:rolleyes:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the bill from the quad, winch installed but no seperate receipt. i am gonna try reversing the wires. it kinda pizzez me off cuz there's not a lot of time on that winch and i thought that warren's are supposed to be the best.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i know what you mean... i broke mine plowing snow and dont use it for that any more, and havent been let down other than that. they claim its a sealed unit, but when i had it apart it certainly is not sealed well. a lot of dirt and water get into the gearing area.

putzman75

Reaction score
Ah winches. I got an education about Warn winches factory installed on Can-Am's. It is a Warn winch, but it is built to "Can-Am" specs not "Warn" specs. I woul bet that it is tha same for all the dealer winches. Dealer winches are not sealed and do not have a brake. I had one off of an Outlander ungraded by my Warn dealer. The upgrade was about $250. Oh ya and according to the guy at the Warn service depot, the winches that are in the rt/xt25 is the same winch as in the rt/xt30. The only different is in the wiring that supplies power to the winch.

meistern

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my warn xt25 wont go out, but it pulls in... it was the solenoid that went out the first time but now it seems its the winch it self... and its just over a year old go figure...!!

gumbylee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check your relay...if the winch works one way,they usually work both ways.the relay box is what changes direction of the winch.little black box 4?large cables and 2 little cables going to it.easy to change....good luck

mudbug

Reaction score
Have to agree it would be the solenoid box/relay box you must have a cracked post and water got in it and froze or rusted the post out.....

Top Bottom