4 season trailers

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have 0 knowledge when it comes to travel trailers. Was just wondering if anyone here stays in their trailer during the winter when working away from home?
I'm thinking of buying a smaller one that's half ton towable but have no idea what brand or model would be any good for the winter?
Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if 4 season's equates in a RV in Canada . Most 4 seasons i know couldn't maintain the brutal cold and be able to shower etc. 4 seasons in AZ would be obtainable for most.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Arctic fox has a good line up of RVs for the great white north. Fairly $$ as well

I don’t personally have one but have researched them, they seem to be the bees knees

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have 0 knowledge when it comes to travel trailers. Was just wondering if anyone here stays in their trailer during the winter when working away from home?
I'm thinking of buying a smaller one that's half ton towable but have no idea what brand or model would be any good for the winter?
Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

It's not going to very comfortable, you want to look for heated underbellies where your plumbing & tanks are located. Then your water & sewer lines to & from your trailer, you have to do something with those.

Most of the RV'S have low R values even if they have four season ratings, windows maybe dual pane & probably low quality. Your keeping the wind out, but floor is cold if not skirted.

It becomes a battle to heat, propane forced air furnace will have an appetite for fuel. Some have an electric fireplace so it helps.

If you step up to what they define as extended living, then you have a more residential built rig. High R rating's, insulated window's etc. Price goes accordingly.

Extended living & four season are defined differently.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lived in mine the last 3-4 years or so
Terrace and Hope so didn’t get much northern BC/AB cold except for some cold outflows

Skirting makes a huge difference, can even put a space heater underneath set to come on when temp below the trailer drops to zero. Really helps keep your water lines from freezing.
Had wood skirting for a while and snap-on vinyl lately

Heated water line. Heat tape on the water supply faucet and on your propane regulator. Keep an even downward slope on your grey/black pipe, no low spots to ice up, and that should never freeze/plug

I usually get 2 300lb propane tanks so never have to worry about the furnace running out

Oil heater in the bedroom for some quiet heat. Get the older one with the manual knobs. The digital fancy ones don’t turn back on after power outage. Then you can turn the furnace down at night.
Dyson heater in living room so I didn’t burn out the heater in the fake fireplace.

Girlfriend went to the carpet store and custom cut carpet for the whole interior floor. Made a HUGE difference

Thin pool-noodle type foam (narrower) stuffed around slide outs on inside to stop drafts

Built an enclosed porch was really nice

I Have a 3+ season trailer. Grand Design reflection

Not quite an arctic fox or Outdoors RV . They are the best for the cold. If you can find an older Citation trailer, they were super solid and a friend used his in Ft Mac without skirting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy used one of the 4800 watt construction heaters under his trailer in his skirting.

He said it was like radiant infloor heating and kept the inside of the trailer pretty warm. Said he didn’t burn much propane all year.

Heaters are cheap but it cost a few bucks to make the proper extension cords

But that was with free power from the Rigg. Be expensive if you had to pay electrical.

Attachments

• 838D2447-583A-4162-ADBB-CCF144C2CF5C.jpeg
    838D2447-583A-4162-ADBB-CCF144C2CF5C.jpeg
    840.8 KB · Views: 89

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys all for the help!
Have a bit more research to do...it's fawking cold out tonight with the wind!

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on where you’re at in BC, wouldn’t it be better to find a permanent place to live?
I hear all these stories about people living in their RV, but it has to be expensive to heat..? (Unless of course you’re at the rig and have unlimited power….)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have a 4-season from OutdoorRV out of Oregon. 4-season my ass!
The only experience I had with regards to colder weather was in my first season prior to getting an appointment to get the trailer winterized. I had a two week wait for an appointment. In that two week period, 4 30# bottles of propane were used with the thermostat at 50 degrees. I didn’t have skirting as it was just sitting in my driveway waiting to get winterized. I was a total neophyte!
I ask the question, “how can they be 4-season with a 2” wall and 2” of insulation in the floor?” A lot of BS comes from that industry.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on where you’re at in BC, wouldn’t it be better to find a permanent place to live?
I hear all these stories about people living in their RV, but it has to be expensive to heat..? (Unless of course you’re at the rig and have unlimited power….)
There is nowhere else to stay, just getting sick of driving 3 hours plus everyday in the winter.

Sessionsdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is nowhere else to stay, just getting sick of driving 3 hours plus everyday in the winter.
Have you looked into any of the tiny home trailers that are built? Wonder if they would be a little better insulated.

Think there is a place in Vernon that builds them as my old landlord there said the tenant before me worked at the company. Didn't say name of it though. Fraserway rv has some in there yard here in kamloops i saw awhile ago. Maybe an option?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into any of the tiny home trailers that are built? Wonder if they would be a little better insulated.

Think there is a place in Vernon that builds them as my old landlord there said the tenant before me worked at the company. Didn't say name of it though. Fraserway rv has some in there yard here in kamloops i saw awhile ago. Maybe an option?
I see tiny homes for sale on marketplace all the time. Usually built by who knows who to who knows what standards and then listed for a ridiculous price.

Sessionsdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see tiny homes for sale on marketplace all the time. Usually built by who knows who to who knows what standards and then listed for a ridiculous price.

Forsure there are those that are built crappy would definitely agree to watch out. There are some companies building as well.

Just more built like a house and would be better I think for 4 seasons
?

Something like these:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a few guys in the patch that run these trailers and are very happy with them
Travelaire Genesis and Kustom Koach Legacy trailers (high end models) are decent in winter, but skirting is a must, heat taping sewer lines and heated water lines is a must. Electric heat helps a ton, I use a 250lb pig on mine in conjunction with an electric heater. Bear in mind that ANY true 4 season trailer isn't going to be half ton towable, and it won't be cheap, either...

Top Bottom