Video Surveillance on Private Property

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put cams up at my house, have a sticker on the garage door only. I pay my taxes so if they dont like it they can come and tell me so. Im sick of losing chit! I wrk hard to pay for this stuff.

B4 the cams I lost a brand new dirtbike "sons parctice bike" and numerous other things!

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If in doubt you can always throw signs up after the fact..... Then it's the perps word against yours when he kicked the door in if it had a sign on it..... Not a tough case to win.

Costco systems are a waste of money...... unless you like stuff with no support and a pixelated blob that might be a man, or might be a Yeti.

You gotta pay if you want equipment that will allow you to read license plate numbers and count the zits on a guys face... otherwise why are you even bothering.

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If in doubt you can always throw signs up after the fact..... Then it's the perps word against yours when he kicked the door in if it had a sign on it..... Not a tough case to win.

Costco systems are a waste of money...... unless you like stuff with no support and a pixelated blob that might be a man, or might be a Yeti.

You gotta pay if you want equipment that will allow you to read license plate numbers and count the zits on a guys face... otherwise why are you even bothering.

I agree with that. As far as surveillance systems go you do get what you pay for. I'll be looking into a few systems. :D :beer:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FOIP Contacted me back and forwarded me onto the following publications.

Questions & Answers - OIPC

So since you are not considered an "organization" no signage required. :D

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Maxwell was saying he was the one that took your bottles...

I've been wondering the same thing, cause my new house is actually pre-wired for a security video camera at the front and rear doors. We are thinking of putting up a camera, but I'm not sure I will want to do something through a security system for the video. May just do something myself. I would likely put up a camera covering the garage doors/alley as well.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I think Maxwell was saying he was the one that took your bottles...

I've been wondering the same thing, cause my new house is actually pre-wired for a security video camera at the front and rear doors. We are thinking of putting up a camera, but I'm not sure I will want to do something through a security system for the video. May just do something myself. I would likely put up a camera covering the garage doors/alley as well.

very simple to piece together your own system, only thing is some of the "cheaper" ones aren't motion dependant so they will always record and fill up your space quickly, where as the better ones highlight when there is motion on a specific zone.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at putting cameras up as well. I called a couple companies and wow, pretty pricey. The bigest problem they told me is having good quality cameras. Most are only good to about -10 -20. fogging is a huge problem and being blurry, the higher end cameras apperently have heaters in them to keep them from fogging. Both companies suggest putting up trail cams because of the climate they are use to. I did a little research and ended up buying a Reconyx hc600 trail cam so we'll see how well it works. I'm not sure what the law is either in my area but I'm not to worried about it, more worried for the little fuggers who have vandalized my boys truck.:boxing:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Looking at putting cameras up as well. I called a couple companies and wow, pretty pricey. The bigest problem they told me is having good quality cameras. Most are only good to about -10 -20. fogging is a huge problem and being blurry, the higher end cameras apperently have heaters in them to keep them from fogging. Both companies suggest putting up trail cams because of the climate they are use to. I did a little research and ended up buying a Reconyx hc600 trail cam so we'll see how well it works. I'm not sure what the law is either in my area but I'm not to worried about it, more worried for the little fuggers who have vandalized my boys truck.:boxing:

the companies are correct, sometimes they fog etc, and you can get the ones with heated domes, but for the most part its not required as long as its not getting heat/moisture exited onto the lenses.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah there's always some greasebag lawyer willing to spin the truth. I've been toying with the idea of throwing up a couple cameras, but don't want to do it if I have to put up a friggin sign, because I'm worried people will be curious enough to say "hmmm....wonder whats in there that she has surveillance for". I live in a good neighborhood, but someone stole all the bottles in my back yard ($100 at least) just wondering what else they'd steal...

i think you'd be fine as long as their not pointing into your neighbours bed room window... just saying...

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I heard as long as its on your property an doesn't look at others it's ok. And they did say to inform the cops that cameras are there

Sent from my phone

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
The shop I work in has cameras in and out side the shop to. They spy on us

Sent from my phone

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good call. I called the City of Calgary and there is no municipal bylaw covering this so I contacted the police non-emergency line and the woman read this for me.

Government of Canada Website states from the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
"Most privacy laws require the organization conducting video surveillance to post a clear and understandable notice about the use of cameras on its premiss to individuals whose images might be captured by them before these individuals enter the premiss."

I also left a message for FOIP to call me back.

Which I think is BS. Why should we have to warn someone they are being videoed if they step on our property.

i don't think your an organization???

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here's a thought try replacing your outside lights with the motion detector type found at your local hardware store. cost effective and they scare the little buggers when a light comes on while they're doing dastardly deeds

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about the bottles going missing.

There are some homeless people in my area that are living in the industrial area across the freeway that walk through the neighbourhoods looking for bottles before recycle day.

I had a bag of bottles and cans on my deck in plain sight for them, and they had the balls to go in and take them. one day, my neighbour saw them.

She asked them to not enter any yards, and that if they see bottles on the curb, they are welcome to them as long as they don't make a mess.

The guy said. "OK SORRY", and never ever was seen again...

So I think it's just some bottle picker that saw an opportunity to make 100$.... unless it's out of sight and they had to enter the yard to see it.

Top Bottom