Video Surveillance on Private Property

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about the bottles going missing.

There are some homeless people in my area that are living in the industrial area across the freeway that walk through the neighbourhoods looking for bottles before recycle day.

I had a bag of bottles and cans on my deck in plain sight for them, and they had the balls to go in and take them. one day, my neighbour saw them.

She asked them to not enter any yards, and that if they see bottles on the curb, they are welcome to them as long as they don't make a mess.

The guy said. "OK SORRY", and never ever was seen again...

So I think it's just some bottle picker that saw an opportunity to make 100$.... unless it's out of sight and they had to enter the yard to see it.

They had to enter the yard to see them, that's what bothers me.

Got a quote back from surveillance shop for a good camera set up.... $8500....hahaha, not willing to spend that kinda dough!

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Got a quote back from surveillance shop for a good camera set up.... $8500....hahaha, not willing to spend that kinda dough!
Holy hell.
How was that Samsung set up you posted? That looks pretty good.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how bout a pitbull? mucho cheaper....

not ready for the responsibility of a dog yet. Baseball bat could work...

haha funny story...heard a loud bang outside in the middle of the night. I ran downstairs topless with a pillow over my boobs and my roomie built like a linebacker ran up with a bat, he looked at me and was like "what the heck were you gonna do if someone was in here", my response..."flash them and run" hahahaha

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy hell.
How was that Samsung set up you posted? That looks pretty good.

Yeah it looks pretty good, but I haven't seen what the footage looks like as far as resolution is concerned.

I will thanks!

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran downstairs topless with a pillow over my boobs and my roomie built like a linebacker ran up with a bat, he looked at me and was like "what the heck were you gonna do if someone was in here", my response..."flash them and run" hahahaha

they woulda def ran in chasin ya then LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran downstairs topless with a pillow over my boobs and my roomie built like a linebacker ran up with a bat, he looked at me and was like "what the heck were you gonna do if someone was in here", my response..."flash them and run" hahahaha

they woulda def ran in chasin ya then LOL

thats where the camera in the bedroom would come in handy
just sayin

Last edited by a moderator:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avigilon makes some nice cameras and their software is pretty awesome as we have been demoing it for work related purposes. I want to upgrade as I still have an analog setup that is so so now.... and the new PTZ's are flat out awesome. I have a buddy that does camera and system setups for a living... but he is getting away from the " I can buy this camera at costco" crowd and focusing on businesses and industrial. People that whine a lot less as residential is just a joke, lol.

Nice thing with Avigilon is they are a Canadian company, and the tech support guy you get is Canadian, understands and can speak english and probably knows what he is talking about. They actually know what customer service is, which is rare.

I might spend the big money and install some Avigilon equipment...... But yeah, it's not your $500 Costco setup, lol.

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avigilon makes some nice cameras and their software is pretty awesome as we have been demoing it for work related purposes. I want to upgrade as I still have an analog setup that is so so now.... and the new PTZ's are flat out awesome. I have a buddy that does camera and system setups for a living... but he is getting away from the " I can buy this camera at costco" crowd and focusing on businesses and industrial.

I might spend the big money and install some Avigilon equipment...... But yeah, it's not your $500 Costco setup, lol.

That's the system he quoted...$8500. Pricey stuff. But worth it depending what you have and where your income level is. I personally can't justify it.

This is what he said "For a typical residential using four outdoor Avigilon cameras you can expect to pay approximately $8500. This would give you the clarity of the Avigilon 2MP image (the clearer of the two images I sent).

Price will vary depending on installation costs and if you would like a firm price I will need to come out and look at the site."

The images he sent me

Image 1:

Back yard Digital camera wide angle 30 ft (2).jpg

Image 2:

Back yard 2 MP wide angle 30 ft (2).jpg

Last edited:

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't pay labor, just parts. My stuff I own warrants it.... but then what he wants $8500 for is probably half or less with the labor and markup out of the way.

I have 2 Avigilon box units in my truck for demo purposes at work and a 24 camera license for the software. I might have to play around with them.

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
That's the system he quoted...$8500. Pricey stuff. But worth it depending what you have and where your income level is. I personally can't justify it.

This is what he said "For a typical residential using four outdoor Avigilon cameras you can expect to pay approximately $8500. This would give you the clarity of the Avigilon 2MP image (the clearer of the two images I sent).

Price will vary depending on installation costs and if you would like a firm price I will need to come out and look at the site."

The images he sent me

Image 1:

View attachment 151026

Image 2:

View attachment 151027

For the average home owner, PTZ (Pan, Tilt, Zoom) is not required.... unless you're a grow op

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend does installs for a living, like I said more focused on industrial but still does residential too if he has too, lol. PM me if you want his contact. He deals with damn near every manufacturer.

I have a 2 megapixel box and a 5 megapixel unit in my truck. I want one of the 20X PTZ's....... I have their client software on my laptop and wow...... You can play with their cameras at their office in Vancouver and man that stuff is neat. The software itself is awesome....

For the average home owner, PTZ (Pan, Tilt, Zoom) is not required.... unless you're a grow op

Who cares about the "average" home owner, lol. That is also the person that starts on about the Costco systems as soon as you start speaking about any style of camera.

Last edited:

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheap, effective and lawsuit free?

Only one answer.

Put rubber or salt shot through that and it will scare away intruders without being lethal.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheap, effective and lawsuit free?

Only one answer.

Put rubber or salt shot through that and it will scare away intruders without being lethal.
you first. you really think you wouldn't get in any kind of trouble for shooting a firearm at another human because it only had rocksalt in it?

Top Bottom