video: buddy's sled getting heli'd back on his truck

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Icecap. You should have been able to tow it out the rutherford. Towed my 09 out last last Thursday when it was waaaaay deeper. Paul had dropped the same 09 on my trailer a few years ago with no ground crew for 300 bucks !

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he had that sled pinned for all 6 minutes of that video LOL. talk about suspense. i was just waiting for the BANG.

then it says " listen to the funny noise the engine is making" then i looked at the throttle and the driver goes BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP. hmmm still making funny noises....BANG.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he had that sled pinned for all 6 minutes of that video LOL. talk about suspense. i was just waiting for the BANG.

then it says " listen to the funny noise the engine is making" then i looked at the throttle and the driver goes BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP. hmmm still making funny noises....BANG.

I was thinking same thing. Maybe thought it was like polaris and it would pull through the bog.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

The little feather the throttle trick every once in awhile.....

v10rider

Reaction score
Looks like the Icecap. You should have been able to tow it out the rutherford. Towed my 09 out last last Thursday when it was waaaaay deeper. Paul had dropped the same 09 on my trailer a few years ago with no ground crew for 300 bucks !

We tried. Towed it from way way back to the bottom of longspur. Tow strap situation was not ideal as folks forgot theirs in the truck (incl me). A train setup would have been better. At around 3pm, we called it. Surprised that the towing effort did that much damage to his front end. Still hard to believe to this day.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't see the vid for some reason,,,,hopefully it wasn't u anthony that had to pay for the choppa,,,

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go for a cheaper bird next time...a-star is $$$ (say $1700/hr wet). Jet ranger is probably about $700 cheaper an hour and should lift a sled no problem.

I always had better luck towing tying one ski tight to the bumper and getting the rider to double with someone else. Sucks though but ya (mentioned above couple of time) i was cringing on how long that sled was tapped.

Nevertheless great vid and looks like sweet riding area!

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after watching maxwell's vid in the edgy cat rider thread i would have to say the Apex and maybe the 1100T riders would need the heavy lift helicopters...looks like the heavy 4 strokers might be too much for a jet ranger at elevation. 2 strokers should be good with the jet ranger though...lol

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Heli cost was $850. We had the exact coordinate to minimize flying time. Weight does not matter, it was all about flying time.

Weight matters in that a smaller chopper is cheaper/hour. In Fernie, they have 2 choppers and they told us about this particular situation. If they take out the smaller chopper and it can't handle the weight then the bigger chopper is required and now you are paying for chopper time X2. But generally speaking you are paying for flying time; out and back.

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought he was going to keep pinning it till she locked right up.
I used to ride the ice cap alot in the 90s went through a few belts before i realized you can't hold a sled wide open for an hour straight.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We tried. Towed it from way way back to the bottom of longspur. Tow strap situation was not ideal as folks forgot theirs in the truck (incl me). A train setup would have been better. At around 3pm, we called it. Surprised that the towing effort did that much damage to his front end. Still hard to believe to this day.

Saw your trenches yesterday down by Ryan lake. I find the best place to tie the rope is on the inside end of the A-arm. I use a special knot so you can untie it quickly. Sometimetimes you need to pick a gentler slope and pack it down well with the running sleds before you try and pull it up. Towed a 600 a few years back all the way from Whistler Helisledder base

Rezz

Reaction score
After all the towing and getting snow dumped on my sled, and leaving it over night in Ice cap… it weight 200lb extra…. Good thing Paul (the pilot) did load it up for me… otherwise I would have need at least 4 guys to load it up​

Top Bottom