VDI copperhead

hintonite

Reaction score
Any one out there run the copperhead CDI unit. I just ordered one and hope it runs cooler and more performance out of her.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had the VDI since the first week they came out. No regrets getting one. Gains are as promised and very tunable.

hintonite

Reaction score
well it arrived last night. Now i just need somime to install it and ride! I will let you know how it works

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got one for a 700 King Quad. Not impressed. Will sel for $350.

hintonite

Reaction score
installed it this afternoon. Seems to be good gains but have hesitation off the line. Will have to call VDI in the moirning.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
installed it this afternoon. Seems to be good gains but have hesitation off the line. Will have to call VDI in the moirning.

Mine does the same thing, have had it for 9 months now and still having starting problems.I dont have the tuning ability( bring to my dealer in town to download) but have talked to Lyle many times and tried many different maps. Just tried the newest map today and still not starting great but it is getting better. Lyle is determined to get it runnig right and Im sure we will but my patience is running thin. Im hoping we can also get rid of the, off the line bog.

fuswald

Reaction score
I have the same bog when snapping the throttle. Have the vdi tuned near perfect a/f ratio. I have a meter hooked up almost permanent. 12.2 across the board.

I tried lower the acceleration enrichment (now at 15, down from 35) and it made absolutely no difference.

Getting frustrated. Need to snap the throttle a lot or suffer in the whoops.

Very close to giving up and getting a power commander.

Help Lyle Help!

I can put up with the occasional tough starting, it eventually always starts.

mud cam, big bore, trinity sheave, clutch kit, ported head, full muzzy, air filter, Big horns. All this and it still cannot wheelie!

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same bog when snapping the throttle. Have the vdi tuned near perfect a/f ratio. I have a meter hooked up almost permanent. 12.2 across the board.

I tried lower the acceleration enrichment (now at 15, down from 35) and it made absolutely no difference.

Help Lyle Help!

mud cam, big bore, trinity sheave, clutch kit, ported head, full muzzy, air filter, Big horns. All this and it still cannot wheelie!

what type of vehicle is this vdi installed on?????? what is done to it??????

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Help Lyle Help!

okay before i give you my take, keep in mind i am not a mechanic just an enthusiast and this is my opinion only i could be wrong.
if it were my griz and i wanted snap here is what i would do,
1. swap out the mudbuster cam and get a stage 2 grizzly hotcam(same as a stage 1 raptor hotcam). if you have bighorns i am pretty sure that cam would work better. with a cvt your rpms build and you fall off the cam,i have seen the grizz stage 2 cam it rips.
2. i would leave the sheave in but i would pull out the "clutch kit" and go back to stock, clutching is an art and is about give and take, stock yamahas are pretty good stock in the clutch department.
3. what do you mean air filter? if you are breathing through a stock airbox that is a huge restriction. the metal screen that holds the air filter up is also a restriction. cut a big hole in the flat spot at the back of the airbox lid and cut bigger holes in the metal screen.
YouTube - Cheapshot27's Channel
this is my buddys youtube page his grizzly is very quick period, not just for a grizzly. he has a stage 2 grizzly hotcam, hmf slip on, dynatec cdi, doebeck fuel controller, airbox opened up as mentioned. with me on it i raced a 09 renegade x on pavement and was 1-2 lengths behind in 1/8 mile and held that all the way to the top end of the gade. it will wheelie to the point of dragging the rack from stabbing the throttle at 40-50km/h if you dont spin. if you want anymore info pm me, i dont have pics of his airbox but i could try to get some if you really want to know, but the cam and airbox were hands down the biggest changes on that quad.

fuswald

Reaction score
I did quite a bit of research before choosing the upgrades. I know a higher lift cam and higher compression would do more but what has been done should already rock! There is something missing. I have a k&n air filter but don't see how it lets in much more air. I think the air-box would need to be opened up (snorkel?).

Today I ordered a Power commander V plus auto-tune (out with the VDI in with old reliable). Will also install my old Dyna FS non-programmable, remove the air box lid and give that a go and after that the quike is off to the tuners. Will pay the pro's.

yamadoo

Reaction score
I got a simple kit from ehsracing.com. Quality part that helped 'er breathe way better. Eric that owns it is also a wealth of info as well.

Cheapshot

Reaction score
Website
stxscr.proboards30.com
I did quite a bit of research before choosing the upgrades. I know a higher lift cam and higher compression would do more but what has been done should already rock! There is something missing. I have a k&n air filter but don't see how it lets in much more air. I think the air-box would need to be opened up (snorkel?).

Today I ordered a Power commander V plus auto-tune (out with the VDI in with old reliable). Will also install my old Dyna FS non-programmable, remove the air box lid and give that a go and after that the quike is off to the tuners. Will pay the pro's.

My airbox lid has a very large hole in it. It can be taped over with 6 or so pieces of duct tape if I'm going mudding. I also have the screen under the filter hacked out with wire going across to prevent the filter from being sucked in. EHS, like mentioned makes an aftermarket lid/box.

All of the Grizzly's that don't live up to expectations in the moving/wheeling/ripping department all have one thing in common, a "clutch kit." In my humble opinion, you really have to do your homework on clutch kits before you put one in, and they're really specialized. I know I've seen Grizzly's in action with these "Clutch Kits" and they just seem to dog them out.

Just for fun, take the clutch kit out and try it, tell me what you think.

Now, sorry for being off topic, but back to the Copperhead VDI.

I've heard tons of good things about these units, scoobie could practically be a salesman. However, I've had great luck with my Dynatek/Dobeck set up. On my Grizzly anyways, the CDI/Spark Curve adjustment was just more or less to bump the Rev Limiter up to 8500rpm so I could stay on my cam. The Dobeck/HMF Optimizer doesn't give me needle precise fuel curve changes, but it seems to do the trick for me, and I don't have to be a rocket scientist to change it around, even in the bush, juts two seconds and bam finished. Like everything though, Price is a factor. I got a great price on my stuff, all brand new. My Optimizer, CDI and my pipe all came to about the price of one of those Copperhead VDIs. I also personally don't see that much of a point of having one if you don't have other mods to make the most of it. There is no point in adding more fuel if you're drawing air in through the straw they call an air box and pushing it out through the pin hole they call a pipe.

hintonite

Reaction score
Well i just recieved the programer and installed the new programing. It seems to have a hesitation only when cold now. The idle is higher now and seems to preform well. Will have to go into a little further when i can get some more time.

Top Bottom