Valemount RCMP looking for....... Rules & Regs for Trailers/Loads

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So now we know the rules, and you guys are still bitching about it?

Here you have it, the rules. Now you know, don't bitch if you ignore these and get pulled.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the new Ram has rediculous fog lights, they are bright normally than add a load on the back and they are way worse. I was followed up to Valemount by a jacked up orange Ram with a sled deck using fog lights, and he pulled through the checkstop the next day behind me, I hope he got a ticket.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
They definitly are an issue... the fog lights especially. My recent trip to Valemount the drive in was horrible, seems almost every pick-up was running high intensity fog lights, dimming thier high beams made no difference because I was still blinded by thier fog lights.....may help the driver of said vehicle see better however it is blinding everyone he passes comming the other way makes for a very chitty drive on icy highways in the snow and not being able to see for 10-15 second intervals...

I thought that better lights were to help with better visibility which in turn makes for better safety on the road. If used properly there should not be an issue. We are traveling on mountain roads in slick conditions with the possibility of wildlife being on the road. The RCMP in Valemont and Golden need to get with the program that every other detachment in Canada is on. Some of their policy's in BC only are bordering on retardation.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I drive with mine on all the time...... If i have a load on, and approaching traffic, i turn my hid fog lites off in respect of the oncoming drivers retinas :)......... My hid headlites are automatic motorized, so they self level with a load on the truck :)

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drive with mine on all the time...... If i have a load on, and approaching traffic, i turn my hid fog lites off in respect of the oncoming drivers retinas :)......... My hid headlites are automatic motorized, so they self level with a load on the truck :)
link us up to those headlights Ric, I have a buddy running HID's in his dodge and I would like him to check them out.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if i understand correctly i should be ok to haul 2 mountain sleds on my f150 as long as i have them tied down properly, 2 points of contact each, lights on my sled deck, and my fog lights are dot approved or covered. ...............................
sweet valemont here i come....................
ya right we all know she wont let me.

Chunk

Reaction score
So do stock trucks have fog lights or driving lights? My understanding is most oem lights are driving lights. Amber or yellow are fog lights.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would it suprise you that i got blinded by 2 huge spot lights on the front of a cop suv coming over a hill leaving mcbride LOL.

Same thing happened to me on Sunday after leaving Chappell... Cop flew by rockin' lights, sirens, and more lights... including leaving his/her high beams on while passing... I'll make sure to bring that up if I'm ever stopped.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So do stock trucks have fog lights or driving lights? My understanding is most oem lights are driving lights. Amber or yellow are fog lights.
according to what is posted above on the information sheet handed out by the RCMP for guidelines in BC, if they come on with low beams they are fog lights and should only be used when "atmospheric conditions make driving with headlight disadvantageous". driving lights should only come on with high beams.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
My hid "fog lites"(according to the 2011 owner's manual) come on with hi or low beam, so what does that mean?? My H&S tuner had that as an option when I programmed the tuner into my 2011 dodge :)

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My hid "fog lites"(according to the 2011 owner's manual) come on with hi or low beam, so what does that mean?? My H&S tuner had that as an option when I programmed the tuner into my 2011 dodge :)
why do you care? you can't drive it in BC anyways. can you turn your fogs on with hi beams? maybe that means they are driving lights on high beam and fog lights on low beam.....lol

T.O.B.C

Reaction score
Here's my two cents, I run a dodge 3500 with fog lights, I had them enabled so they come on with my high beam lights and turn off when I go to low beam. I had the dealer do this, for people with programers they can do this themselves. As far as I know this is legal, I have some DOT paperwork stating this that a friend looked up online, I will get it and post a copy on here. You are allowed to have one extra set of lights that turn on and off with your high beems, they have to be DOT approved and be a certain height from the road. I'll get the info for ya all tommorow.

gregv88

Reaction score
Been running HID's for almost 6 years now. On the original trip I was behind a buddy and he cussed me out for not passing him as the lights were shining higher than normal headlights. Made an adjustment from where they were using the stock bulbs and complaints went away. Seems that most of the 'blinding' problems are due to incorrect headlight aiming. If you run HID's you need to re-aim the headlight or driving lights lower. If anyone running HID's would make this adjustment there would be alot less attention paid to the headlight issues the RCMP and other drivers (that are doing the complaining) would likely pay less attention to them.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[h=4][] Driving lamps[/h]
High beam headlamps augmented by auxiliary driving lamps

"Driving lamp" is a term deriving from the early days of nighttime driving, when it was relatively rare to encounter an opposing vehicle. Only on those occasions when opposing drivers passed each other would the dipped or "passing" beam be used. The full beam was therefore known as the "driving beam", and this terminology is still found in international ECE Regulations, which do not distinguish between a vehicle's primary (mandatory) and auxiliary (optional) upper/driving beam lamps.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] The "driving beam" term has been supplanted in North American regulations by the functionally descriptive term "auxiliary high-beam lamp".[SUP][8][/SUP] They are most notably fitted on cars, and are occasionally fitted to production vehicles derived from or imitating such cars. They are common in countries with large stretches of unlit roads, or in regions such as the where the period of daylight is short during winter. Many countries regulate the installation and use of driving lamps. For example, in Russia each vehicle may have no more than three pairs of lights including the original-equipment items, and in Paraguay, auxiliary driving lamps must be off and covered with opaque material when the vehicle is circulating in urban areas.

Front fog lamps

A pair of yellow fog lamps

Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP] They may be either white or . They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to , , or . As such, they are often most effectively used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps.
Use of the front fog lamps when visibility is not seriously reduced is often prohibited (for example in the ), as they can cause increased glare to other drivers, particularly in wet pavement conditions, as well as harming the driver's own vision due to excessive foreground illumination.[SUP][13][/SUP]
The respective purposes of front fog lamps and driving lamps are often confused, due in part to the misconception that fog lamps are necessarily , while any auxiliary lamp that makes light is a driving lamp. Automakers and aftermarket parts and accessories suppliers frequently refer interchangeably to "fog lamps" and "driving lamps" (or "fog/driving lamps"). In most countries, weather conditions rarely necessitate the use of fog lamps, and there is no legal requirement for them, so their primary purpose is frequently cosmetic. They are often available as optional extras or only on higher trim levels of many cars. Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.

On the commercial side of things the fog/driving lights have to be wired into the high beam for BC. They also can not be higher than your headlights. They also have to be DOT compliant. If your are running commercial tags on your vehicle you need to abide by the regs for provinces travelled. I believe that this BS is a cash cow on the grounds that nobody fights these tickets in court simply for the reason of not knowing the private/commercial sides of the law.

Last edited:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought that better lights were to help with better visibility which in turn makes for better safety on the road. If used properly there should not be an issue. We are traveling on mountain roads in slick conditions with the possibility of wildlife being on the road. The RCMP in Valemont and Golden need to get with the program that every other detachment in Canada is on. Some of their policy's in BC only are bordering on retardation.

Are you talking about fog lights? Cause they are to enable you to see the road lines directly in front of you when its foggy and do nothing to illuminate wildlife until you hit it. Different provinces have different laws that the cops try to enforce wherever they may be.

Last edited:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They definitly are an issue... the fog lights especially. My recent trip to Valemount the drive in was horrible, seems almost every pick-up was running high intensity fog lights, dimming thier high beams made no difference because I was still blinded by thier fog lights.....may help the driver of said vehicle see better however it is blinding everyone he passes comming the other way makes for a very chitty drive on icy highways in the snow and not being able to see for 10-15 second intervals...

Exactly, some here would just recommend you look at the fog line until you pass each other if their lights bother you. LOL!

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if i understand correctly i should be ok to haul 2 mountain sleds on my f150 as long as i have them tied down properly, 2 points of contact each, lights on my sled deck, and my fog lights are dot approved or covered. ...............................
sweet valemont here i come....................
ya right we all know she wont let me.

Ummm nope! Its not the fog lights they are talking about that need to be DOT approved or covered.

Top Bottom