Valemount Petro Canada Fuel Issues

Etech 800

Reaction score
Headed up sledding Dec 6th to Blue River. There was 3 of us. 2 Of us filled out sleds at home and the 3rdguy filled his 2016 M8 with premium at this Petro. Had issues with M8 in blue river. Fuel line froze.lesson learned, carry methyl hydrate on hand,will not be getting fuel from there.

jerry

Reaction score
shell and superstore and coop only no 1 fuel with no ethanol with should not be used in sleds

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isopropyl alcohol not methyl hydrate.......every sled with fuel injection should be adding it in cold deep snow.......just a cap full is all you need...

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always carry a little gas line AF. If anything it makes good fire starter in an emergency.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Headed up sledding Dec 6th to Blue River. There was 3 of us. 2 Of us filled out sleds at home and the 3rdguy filled his 2016 M8 with premium at this Petro. Had issues with M8 in blue river. Fuel line froze.lesson learned, carry methyl hydrate on hand,will not be getting fuel from there.
Do not use methyl hydrate, will separate the oil from gas in bearings and cylinder walls

Isopropal alcohol for 2 smoke sleds or sea foam for water in gas

sent while drinking tea's

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the sled that was low on gas in a heated garage was put on a truck and hauled up the cold highway before it was filled with gas?
so what would that do other than freeze any water that may have been in the tank inside the heated garage? you do know condensation forms when you bring the sled INTO the heated garage after being on the cold highway...right?

great first post. welcome aboard

Dirtmover

Reaction score
I didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot first post n all.

I was just making sure I understood the issue.

Cooling air will cause moisture in the air to condense and form droplets which fall down to the bottom of the tank. If ethonal is present it will bond with the water and separate out, preventing the water from freezing at zero degrees. If the water content gets higher than the ethonal content (typically 10%) the pure water will form a third layer at the bottom of the tank and it does freeze. When the sled is parked in a heated garage the air inside the tank is cooler than the outside. Water condenses inside the tank pretty fast. Left to sit for a while the temps inside the tank equalize, then when it cools slightly it sucks in some fresh air, then it warms a degree or to and expels air. A few cycles like this and throw it on a cold truck deck for a few hours and wham, water problems.

Filling the sled after riding prevents air from being in the tank. No air means no water. Park in heated garage all you want then.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FFS mike. I made you this meme in the last seafoam thread, and you still don't use it? why do I even bother *sigh*

seafoamz_zps7us670ib.png

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Thanks T. I don't remember seeing that. Got it saved now!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with the 94 octane from petro there. all I've ever owned since 08 was cats. at home I usually still use petro or esso. maybe I should try shell and see if I notice a difference.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Bambino840

Reaction score
shell and superstore and coop only no 1 fuel with no ethanol with should not be used in sleds

Federated coop fuel in Alberta comes from the petro can refinery unless coop trucks from Sask.Petro can in sask comes from coop. Same fuel.shell is shell, its there own.superstore I'm not sure about.

Top Bottom