How I modded an empty 4-place to suit our hobby

Polar Express

Reaction score
I already posted up some detailed info on how I put my furnace in our trailer. What I didn’t include was the exact location, why, and what else I did to the empty box that we recently picked up to support this obsession we have.

My wife and I (no kids yet) have had a sled deck for a few years now. I built it, and it works well for us; it is very convenient for day-trips to local riding areas. But, we also saw the benefits of an enclosed trailer when we would go riding with friends, and most recently when I chauffeured my wife and two of her friends (using one friend’s 4-place) up to Revelstoke at the end of Jan. (Three riders, one injured driver, and a Partridge in a Pear-tree.) By the end of the trip, I was really liking the benefits of an enclosed trailer for a distance trip. Sure, you drive a bit slower, and get lower fuel economy, but… the security and a place to hang and dry your gear was really cool. Besides, if you go on a long trip, and have a mechanical issue, it would be nice to have a warm, well-lit, dry place to do your repairs to salvage a trip.

With the poor economy, and the bad snow year, we found this new trailer for about the cost of a 5 year old used one. That was a no-brainer. The fit and finish left a lot to be desired, but we did score on the factory upgrades, as it was a dealer demo model. The floor was Wolmanized, but not coated, the interior walls have plywood underneath the white panels. The ceiling is simply white panels fastened to the roof struts. I elected to use urethane deck paint for the floor. The light gray really lightened up the inside. But, in hindsight, I do kinda envy the folks that have put line-x down. For a tie down system, I chose “E-track”, and got it online. I have two strips that I recessed into the floor, that run the length of the trailer. This way, I have lots of flexibility with how many sleds we carry. Very happy with this idea, but it is critical to recess them into the floor.

In some of the pics you will see the lighting I chose. I got four, 4’ fluorescent lights, two along each wall, at the ceiling, and six LED lights. The LEDs are 12v, and run off the trailer batteries. They don’t give off as much light as I had hoped, but, when it’s dark, they seem brighter, and they are plenty to load or unload. Also, I wired in some duplexes. Every 120v circuit (I wired in 3) are 15 amp, and each is downstream of its’ own GFCI outlet. The fluorescent lights are on the same circuit as the battery conditioner, and there are four outlets, two on each side, one front, one back, plus one in the ‘v’, for the battery conditioner. So far, I’m happy with that part. It was suggested to me to make sure I could access the thermostat without having to climb into the trailer, and that made sense, so it’s just inside the curb-side man door. All the LEDs are on one circuit, with two switches (in parallel), by each man door. Either switch turns them on.

I started with a portable propane bottle in the nose, with the idea that as soon as I could find an ASME frame-mount tank, I would install that. I did find one, and mounted it behind axles, nestled up between the floor supports, and I plumed in a remote fill location, with a sturdy guard welded in place for safety.

Here are some pics of what I did, and some words to describe why. I’m sure we will learn some more stuff as we use it, and I may or may not make adjustments.

Here is a pic of the front of the trailer. I’m standing against the back ramp, and looking forward. You can see the furnace against the curb side wall, up against the ceiling. Also, you can see the caddy gizmo on the driver’s side, up front. I have a solid assortment of mechanical chemicals in that. The tray folds down for a light-duty tray. There is a toolbox and some cabinets mounted on the wall of the ‘v’.
trlrinterior3.jpg

Here is a pic of the back of the trailer. I’m standing in the tip of the ‘v’, and looking backward. Along the curb side, you can see the furnace, and ducting that dries the cloves, helmets, and boots. Blocked by the furnace is a wire shelf that holds the helmets so they dry as well. Along the driver’s side, I have heavy duty hooks mounted to the wall studs to hold heavier items. So far, they have dried just fine overnight. In the back, the spare tire is mounted off the floor, and out of the way. This picture also shows the things I did to the floor, as listed above.
trlrinterior21.jpg

This is a pic of the door caddy on the wall, in the closed position.
trlrinterior4.jpg

And the same with the tray down.
trlrinterior19.jpg

To be continued….

PE

Polar Express

Reaction score
…Continued from above.

Some pics of the furnace that show where it is in the trailer. Note the helmet in the pics to show relative size. More detailed info about this is on the furnace thread I did.
trlrinterior20.jpg

trlrinterior2.jpg

trlrinterior1.jpg

trlrinterior.jpg

Here is a pic of the ‘v’ wall with the toolbox and cabinets.
trlrinterior5.jpg

Floor space is a premium, and I knew that when I was figuring out the layout I wanted. I also noticed that there was a bit of space along this wall that would not be missed when loading and unloading (either direction) and chose to use that. I wanted some quality 12v power available. This meant at least a couple batteries, and for our use, two 6v in series would be better than two 12v in parallel. Here they are inside the cabinet I built to house them. The cabinet also has room for a bottle jack, a come-along, and the shore power storage area.
trlrinterior8.jpg

Here is what the floor cabinet looks like when it’s closed. You can see the tool box is mounted above the floor cabinet, so as to conserve space.
trlrinterior7.jpg

On the wall, above the floor cabinet, and below the tool box is where I mounted the electrical panel, and the battery conditioner. They are out of the way, but necessary for what we wanted.
trlrinterior9.jpg

Next to the battery cabinet, in the tip of the ‘v’, I have a space for a milk crate. I put the dirty stuff in there, like tire chains, a camp hatchet, even jugs oil. A floor cleat keeps it in place. In the very tip of the ‘v’, there is a space where you could mount a propane tank, but I have since mounted a frame-mount tank under the deck, behind the twin axles.
trlrinterior11.jpg

Above the battery cabinet, I mounted a SS tool box. I wanted a safe place to keep tools and small parts for the sleds. It is mounted to the wall, with legs that come down to help support the weight. It is very secure. You can also see the el-cheapo ‘lowe’s special’ white upper cabinets that I attached to the wall to hold lightweight stuff. So far, they work great, and are much less $$ than fancy aluminum. If I get 5 years out of them, I’ll be happy.
trlrinterior5.jpg

Next to the tool box, and above the milk crate I built a small box to house a stereo. My wife wanted ‘tunes, and when she’s happy, I’m happy. So, we got ‘tunes. Next to the stereo, you can see two 12v power outlets (like a cigar lighter). Each is fused separately, so if we need to charge something up, or plug something in, we can.
trlrinterior10.jpg

As always, feel free to PM me with any questions, I hope this helps,
PE

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very nice, and well thought out. looks like you have done your homework.....

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow that is frickin sweet, i think i need to up grade my trailer! thanks for the pics and info, cheeers:beer::beer::beer:!

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice Job! I hope you remembered to pin/latch those cheap doors shut or you could have a surprize!! That little heater looks like the cats meow!!

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well it looks great, you must be proud,,,you know when u do a job like that theres always some thing you would do different....well heres your chance i trade you for my 28ft er, its like a clean slate a fresh canvas if you will.....

Just because im always ready to help a fellow s&m er out.......lol

seriously...... nice job

Terry

motrhed

Reaction score
Can you repost the furnace info... can't find your original post.
Thanks

Top Bottom