SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
March 9, 2023 by Adam Malik

How less safe touchscreens are than buttons in a car​

gl_bmw_ix_volvo_v70n_001.jpeg

Photo credit: Glenn Lindberg/Vi Bilägare
A Swedish car magazine has found a gap in safety when comparing touchscreen buttons to the old-school alternative.

Newer vehicles are seeing touchpads replacing knobs in everything from controlling the radio to the air conditioning.

Tests conducted by Vi Bilägare found that the driver in the worst-performing car needed four times longer to perform simple tasks than in the best-performing car.

“The screens in modern cars keep getting bigger. Design teams at most car manufacturers love to ditch physical buttons and switches, although they are far superior safety-wise,” was the conclusion of the magazine’s testing.

Vi Bilägare tested the HMI system (Human-Machine Interface) of 12 vehicles, trying out changing radio stations to adjusting climate control all while the vehicle was driven at 110 km/h. A 17-year-old Volvo V70 was used for comparison.

The four tests conducted were:

• Activate the heated seat, increase temperature by two degrees, and start the defroster.
  • Power on the radio and adjust the station to a specific channel (Sweden’s Program 1).
  • Reset the trip computer.
  • Lower the instrument lighting to the lowest level and turn off the center display.
Tesla vehicles, for example, have the biggest touchscreens, in which most of the vehicle’s feature controls are housed, even the wipers. The BMW iX also offers a touchscreen, though not as big as Tesla’s, while also providing physical buttons. The research found that even so, that’s no guarantee for easier use.

“The BMW’s infotainment system has lots of features, but it also has one of the most complex and complicated user interfaces ever designed,” Vi Bilägare reported.

It also noted that carmakers like Volkswagen place touch-sensitive climate controls below the screen in the ID.3 to save money. These are not backlit which makes them completely invisible at night.

At the end of the day, the group found one vehicle that stood out from the rest.

“The easiest car to understand and operate, by a large margin, is the 2005 Volvo V70,” Vi Bilägare said. “The four tasks is handled within 10 seconds flat, during which the car is driven 306 meters at 110 km/h.”

To compare against some notable names, the BMW iX took 30.4 seconds, the Volkswagen ID.3 took 25.7 seconds, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 took 26.7 seconds, the Tesla Model 3 took 23.5 and the Subaru Outback took 19.4 seconds.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I prefer the touch screen. Oh yeah you can do all those things with your voice.

Reactions: RGM

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the distraciting messages my gmc touch screen randomly gives you to keep your eyes on the road lol

Reactions: RXN

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 07 GMC no touch screen. No issues.
My 13 Jeep and the wife's 22 Compass. Big touch screens. And I notice I struggle with them
My speed fluctuates as well I wander a bit in my lane using them.
I don't have that issue with switches and knobbs.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a very high end 2018 mercedes and it does not have touch screen. It has a wheel to scroll around and a pad to type on. I find that waaaaaay more difficult and distracting than my touchscreen ford

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This feels like a blackberry vs iPhone thing. How did the physical buttons do against a touch screen?

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my wifes Kona EV the seat and steering wheel heater plus some other switches are down on the center console so you have to look down to set it the way you want. Very stupid design.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the touch screen, just wish it had a tv in it. Obviously for the passenger instead of watching movies on I pad or tv

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of rigs have a tv in the back seat. Have to sit in the back to watch movies i guess.

Top Bottom